• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Tripo AI for scenery models

Messages
1,134
I've mentioned Tripo before, I think, it's a subscription 3D AI creation tool which I've found handy for 'clutter' and smaller objects which would require a lot of modelling time. Tripo offers two generation methods HD Model and Smart mesh. For the simulator I mostly use smart mesh as this gives a lot less vertices so that your models won't overwhelm the sim. Yesterday I noticed a preview of version 2 of Smart mesh, with two free tries, so I took a look. This seems to be a great improvement, giving a tidier, more logical topology. My first test was this little tractor which I've modeled by hand previously for my Taieri scenery. I just dropped an image into Tripo and in a few seconds it gave me this:
Screenshot (2418).jpg

This was dropped into Blender, the material changed to MSFS, LODs added, and exported to the sim. It's not perfect, but very usable as-is. My default for this sort of thing is 5000 triangles, but this reverted to quad, so it actually ended up around 9000 triangles in the sim. It takes a couple of minutes to make LODs in Blender using Decimate.
You can view this model on Tripo for a 3D view by clicking here. Note that this is also a referral link, which gives me extra credits for every download or signup. You are free to download this model, and could even use it if it was useful.
You can have Tripo generate PBR textures, but this just includes a reduced roughness in Blender. I can choose the rendered texture resolution, from 512 to 8K. Note that texture rendering on Smartmesh costs 20 credits, on top of the model generation cost of 35 credits for the previous Smart mesh, although it looks like the new Smart mesh might cost 100 credits eventually.

Some models are more suited to Tripo, and not everything will give great results first time. Here's an example of something which took some experimenting to get right. This beat-up little woodshed is behind the aeroclub at Masterton, which I'm working on at the moment. I took a few photos, but using any one of these, or even multi images, didn't get close enough to the real shed.
IMG_7963.jpg


The problem was that I didn't have a photo showing more roof detail, which added a lot to the character, and the AI couldn't quite figure out where the openings were. I gave this photo to Google Gemini (free) and asked it to raise the view a bit and remove the bushes, and it gave this:
Gemini_Generated_Image2.jpg

This gave a much better result, but still wasn't good enough, as the Smartmesh tool doesn't do a good job on the hidden sides. However it does give the ability to generate multi views, which gave me these images: (I've combined them into 1 and reduced the size here)
Multiview.jpg


Here's the result in the sim:
Screenshot (2419).jpg

The BBQ in the background is also AI, from a photo.
I did make a conventional model of this shed, just in case, and I'm not sure which will end up in the finished scenery. However this was a good test of Gemini for texture generation, I gave it the photo of the shed and asked it to give a texture image for the roof, and it gave this:
Gemini_Generated_Image1.jpg

That's pretty impressive, and 100% usable.

I've previously used Tripo for cars, as you can just type a make/model/colour and it'll give a great result. In the top image here, the cabbage tree and birdbath in the background were AI generated.

A lot of Masterton (Hood) aerodrome is devoted to vintage aircraft, and I do hope to include a lot of these as static models, using Tripo from my own photos, which I hope to take in the spring when there'll be more accessible.

I'd certainly recommend giving Tripo a try, you can sign up for a free account, although the credits are somewhat limited, and I don't think it allows downloads of Smartmesh models, just HD. At the moment I'm continuing with my US$20 a month sub, I probably have too many subs for a pensioner, but what the heck, this is fun. I get 3000 credits a month, and a normal smartmesh model costs 55 credits including the texture.

Here's the Tripo link again.
 
Today I've been trying to debug a problem with vegetation polygons in my MSFS 2024 project. While I'm waiting for some help, I managed to minimise the bushes on my road, and then thought of ways to cover up what's left. One idea was a bunch of protesters standing outside, covering up the bushes, so I asked Gemini to give me an image of a protester, and Tripo made a 3D model for me. Turns out it does great people. Here's my protester standing at the gate.
Screenshot(2432).jpg
 
This seems like lots of fun. I'm currently trying to use Modly to use open sourced extensions. Tripo is one, but it lacks texturing in Modly. If I get a solution to that, and the mesh and texturing is good, I'll post here. Modly creates mesh on the PC, rather than using a paid online service... so it's free. I'm just trying it out. Downside? SLOW. But using it overnight gives 365 free meshes.
 
Wow... I'll give this a try! Does it do human faces/heads, as in, recognizable? I would love to do Neil Armstrong and the crew for my (eventual) Apollo rocket launches.
 
This seems like lots of fun. I'm currently trying to use Modly to use open sourced extensions. Tripo is one, but it lacks texturing in Modly. If I get a solution to that, and the mesh and texturing is good, I'll post here. Modly creates mesh on the PC, rather than using a paid online service... so it's free. I'm just trying it out. Downside? SLOW. But using it overnight gives 365 free meshes.
I took a look at Modly today, it certainly has potential. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Pixal3D model extension renders a texture, I just can't test this as the GPU requirements are well beyond my system.
The Tripo model works for me, although nothing near the result of the Tripo subscription, I thought I could just use the input image and use Blender's 'project from view' UV mapping to at least map the front of my model, far from a perfect alignment but could be done with some work. Thinking I could have Google Gemini make me an image of the back view, and simply project that as well.
Here's a comparison of Modly with Tripo model, projected from the original front-on image in Blender, and the Tripo subscription.
Given that the Tripo subscription took 30 seconds for the model, a couple of minutes for the texture, and could be dropped into Blender, the material changed to MSFS, and then exported within a couple of minutes, I'm happy to keep my sub for the moment.

screenshot_937.jpg



Edit: 'Modly' is maybe not the best name ever, when I search for it Bing assumes I want to see 'moldy'.
 
Texturing is a big problem with Modly. There is a Trellis2 extension that includes a texturing extension that can be used.... but it's nowhere near as good as the Tripo website. If someone's serious about using ai to generate models quickly and with some accuracy, then expect to pay a bit for it using the commercial websites.

Here's the small tractor I get in Tripo's website, from the picture you had above (I used Gemini to remove the background).

Untitled.png


So this is a model from a game image of a model from a photo... And still 1000% better than what Modly could make. Now I just need to justify the $20 a month for fooling around with this. :laughing:
 
Yes, decided to give the Trellis2 model a go, downloaded it three hours ago and it's managed 49% of the install.
 
Ok, this week Tripo increased the cost of an untextured Smart Mesh v2 model to 100 credits, it was 65 for v2, or 35 for v1. Considering a HD model, including texturing, is only 30 credits this seems a lot.
Texturing for Smart Mesh is an extra 20 credits, plus 5 for PBR. So for my monthly 3000 credits I now only get 25 models, as I only use Smart Mesh. Ouch.
However Smart Mesh v2 is hugely improved. The results give good clean meshes, and the texturing makes more sense, giving an image which can be easily edited if necessary.
A great improvement is that you can now choose the AI tool to render an image, and I seem to get 100 free images a month, not sure what extra would cost. Using GPT 2.5 for the image gives a great result, which I can then make a 2D model from. Here's one example. Within Tripo, I had it make this image using GPT2.5, from the prompt 'Charcoal Hyundai Accent'.
AccentGPT25.jpg

Here's the 3D model in Tripo, after applying the texture:
screenshot_939.jpg

....and here's a wireframe view showing the clean geometry:
screenshot_938.jpg


And here's a MSFS2024 screenshot of the model exported in Blender:
Screenshot (2442).jpg

The Mitsubishi is also done the same way. Note that neither have PBR textures, but Tripo can create these, they are just not 'drag and drop' into the sim, and need some editing work. I've edited the texture in both vehicles to give a 'normal' license plate. I call my own Hyundai 'the Lummox' hence the custom plate:)
You can view the model on the Tripo website by clicking here. Download if you want, and it can be freely used.

I may need to review this subscription at some point, but at the moment while I can afford it I'll give it another couple of months and see how useful it remains with the increased credit cost.
 
Back
Top