• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

2Hr flightplans AI aircraft not landing!

Country
india
Hey all,

I've experiencing this strange problem since a few weeks. If I create a flightplan of 2Hr duration, the aircraft takes off fine from departure airport but wouldn't land on arrival airport nor does it appear in the sky.

The flightplan itself is correct, otherwise Ttools wouldn't let me compile it. Even more strangely, this is happening for some flightplans whereas for others, the corresponding AI aircraft land and appear totally OK.

Like:
AC#1000,VH-OQA,24%,2Hr,IFR,00:05:59,@00:17:00,370,F,0019,VEGT,00:40:58,@01:05:59,380,F,0020,YSSY

No aircraft corresponding to this flightplan appears in the sky and lands but at the departure time, it is present and takes off fine. Just doesn't land.

But, no such problem occurs for this flightplan:
AC#1001,VT-ALK,94%,2Hr,IFR,00:05:00,@00:47:58,400,F,0094,VEGT,01:16:00,@01:50:00,390,F,0093,KLAX

What could be the reason?

You are asking a plane to takeoff at YSSY and fly to VEGT at FL370 which is 4,946 Nm in 11 min.

Layover 23 min. and then return to YSSY at FL380 in 25 min. and you want to repeat it every 2 hrs.?

You have the @ symbol but do not say what the speed of the Aircarft is in the Aircraft_xxxxxxxxx.txt FP file. Since the @ is present TTools does not see any error.

I suspect you are stuck within the 37 minute rule.

Country
madagascar
YSSY is obviously Sydney.
VEGT appears to be Guwahati which is nearly 9178 km straight flight at 0ft above the ground.
For a 477kts cruising jet, the flight would take 11:30 with average room for taxi, take off, ATC vectors and approach.
The tool I use cannot make aircraft cruise at more than 9999Kts, but even at that speed, it would take 50 minutes (with taxi on YSSY, TO, etc.)

TTools doesn't care about flight duration and altitudes. FlightSim isn't really able to cope with actual/correct/real flight durations since it's not the real world (37mn problem for tight/overly expanded schedules) The way it calculates at what time an aircraft will spawn in your vinicity (air or ground; departing, cruising or on approach) depends on the specified Lat/Lon of departure and arrival airport, and the specified cuising speed. By the way, FlightSim doesn't care about taxi and vectors so it can't estimate how long it would take for your aircraft to follow a pattern (departure/approach) or taxi-in/out.
By the way, usual twinjet airliner speed in FS is around 430/450Kts (12h45/12h15 YSSY-VEGT) but because you have a so tight turaround time, you'll have to make precise calculations anyway, in order to avoid "aircraft poping up at gate", "not able to land", "never loaded" or even "appearing at airport center reference for direct climb on return flight"...

Advice : Use AI Flight Planner to create your flightplans. TTools is GREAT, but it's role is to try to compile whatever you ask it to. It doesn't check for timespan errors.

Advice : Use AI Flight Planner to create your flightplans. TTools is GREAT, but it's role is to try to compile whatever you ask it to. It doesn't check for timespan errors.

There is nothing wrong with using TTools. To check timespans, correct the Flight Levels, and many other options use AITM. ACA 2005 and ACA 2013 by Peter van der Veen (developer of WOAI) are very good AI tools.

For AI Planes Martin Grossman's AI Aircraft Editor (the Owl's Nest) is a Great tool.

Country
india
Hey all, thanks for replying. :) And sorry, I couldn't check the answers earlier, I was busy with college stuff.

After I read your answers, though for no reason, I downloaded TTools again and compiled the Qantas, Malaysian, Lufthansa and Air India flightplans through this fresh download of Ttools. Except Air India, all three troubling 2Hr flightplans worked. :D:eek: Funny, isn't it?

With Air India, The 2Hr plans for RJAA and RKSI aren't working, rest are working. I mean why are some of the 2Hr plans not working while the others are?

And can you tell me about this 37 minute rule?

These are the speeds, whichever is of concern(cruise speed I guess).

[Reference Speeds]
flaps_up_stall_speed = 150.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
full_flaps_stall_speed = 120.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
cruise_speed = 494.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
max_mach = 0.85
max_indicated_speed = 330 //Red line (KIAS)

I like it that whenever I land in Guwahati, there should be a few planes arriving and departing from and to some particular destinations. Creating that scenario in a realistic way would take years. Hence, the 2Hr flighplans.

Country
madagascar
After I read your answers, though for no reason, I downloaded TTools again and compiled the Qantas, Malaysian, Lufthansa and Air India flightplans through this fresh download of Ttools. Except Air India, all three troubling 2Hr flightplans worked. :D:eek: Funny, isn't it?

With Air India, The 2Hr plans for RJAA and RKSI aren't working, rest are working. I mean why are some of the 2Hr plans not working while the others are?
It highly depends on :
a) how you defined your flightplans (the three TTools text sources files)
b) in what conditions you were testing your AI flights.
c) the flight dynamics set of your AI aircraft(s)
d) the "mood" of your flight simulator at the moment ! Yes, FS has some nasty behaviour sometimes...

What you wrote in your flightplans source files :
In the flightplans, whether you were using the "@" symbol before your arrival time, which flight level, IFR or VFR, etc. All those produces different behaviours.
The @ symbol alters the way TTools handles the cruising speed of your aircraft, no matter what value you specified in your Aircraft_???.txt file. Instead of the value you entered in the FP source, TTools will use a simulated one based on the departure and arrival time you provided in the flightplan (distance divided by flight duration), in order to write the specific time and day of the week at which your aircraft will be loaded/activated in a specific sector. If you use the @ symbol, make sure you have departure and arrival times that suits FS taste, otherwise, your aircraft will not load inflight, but pop in at gate, or not show up at all. That seems tightly related to your problem (and honestly, that's also what I would expect to be the beginning of the problem)
The flight level alters the altitude at which FlightSim will load your aircraft in scene on approach (related to the sector loading/activating above). Higher FLs means higher loading altitude on approach. Too high, and your aircraft will NOT be able to land.
IFR and VFR alters the way your AI plane will enter final, and at which altitude.

FDE :
If you happen to use an aircraft with a poor FDE it may not be able to slow down enough and descend from FL350... (by "poor", I mean not suitable for AI operations - There is no such poor FDE. It's very hard to get a "perfect" FDE due to the very limited capabilities of the FS AI Engine)

FS Behaviour :
FS sometimes instruct AI aircraft to climb, while it's supposed to enter an approach pattern (descend) When such things occurs right after the plane were loaded into scene, it will climb up to its cuising level before descending again (at least, some has noticed that) I don't know why this happens (sometimes, but yes, I did notice one aircraft on approach fly over the destination airport at cruising level - at least on FS9)

FS Brain - very basic :
Where is your airport when you look on the map of the 9 active sectors ? (it's a square like a numpad, your aircraft is in the middle, and 8 sectors surrounding your active one. Every AI object within the 9 sectors will be activated and followed by ATC) Sometimes, your airport is located on the corner of the center sector, and arriving AI in the sector next to that corner are loaded in the vinicity of the airport, but too high ! They won't be able to land, even with engines at idle and full spoilers deployed. Furthermore, when instructed to go around, they'll climb too high, and again, they won't be able to land (they'll disappear after a while)

Operations conditions :
Depending on your weather conditions, approach pattern may be lengthened (good, this make room for your AI to slow down and descend) or shortened (Bad ! for opposite reasons)

So, it's not a matter of "Write flightplans and expect them to work like a charm...". Sum the above and you get tons of possible scenarios you may have to think of, some of them requires a knowledge of the Simulator and its engine. Like where are the "sectors limits" on a lat/lon map ? how does FS calculates activation altitude ? (I don't know) Flightplans BGLs are loaded in alphabetical order, aircraft loaded in the order they were specified (that's why you have more "Airbus" in most flightplans setups than "Boeing", or more "AIA" than "FAIB"... depending on the titling) etc.
Hopefully, most AI flightplans will work next to perfection... but that's because most users applies TTools average "default settings" : flightplans written without the @ symbol, aren't "tweaked" with lower aircraft speeds, and usually repeat on a 24Hr basis or even WEEK. So I would advice to :
- remove the @ symbol
- specify a realistic aircraft cruising speed in your Aircraft_???.txt file.
- Change your 2Hr repeat period to at least 24Hr !
- Lengthen the turnaround time to at least one hour !

The result is :
- Correct activation times will be specified for each sector.
- You'll loose the ability to know exactly at what time your aircraft will load in FS. Perhaps, it's ultimately what you don't want, but heh, the question was "why the aircraft isn't landing..?" To maximize its chance to land, give it room to perform it..!
- You'll loose your airport activity ! (again not what you want)

The modification above is NOT a solution. Most flights would work well (if your aircraft is able to descend from FL400 though...) Depending on what is happening, and which pattern your aircraft will be vectored to, it may take a moment before your aircraft will be able to land, exit runway, then taxi to gate. The goal of the whole blah blah above could be shorten as : "help your plane to ease its landing - no rush, enough time frame".

Having "reseted" your TTools config has probably nothing to do with the "virtually fixed state" of some of your newly compiled FP. I, as a programmer, can't believe the same source file compiled with the same tool will produce two different BGLs. But I did say "probably" because I don't have all the details and, perhaps you used an older version of TTools (from FS2002 era ? - lol !) And as I explained above, what is happenning in your sim may alter the way AI world behaves. Would ATC responsiveness has been delayed by some CPU usage may give a few more seconds for your plane to descend... or on the contrary, a CPU completely open for Flightsim may have been able to load the AI on time, and prevent it from being deleted ? Who knows... But I digress.

A deeper knowledge of the AI engine is required in order to further give room to your plane to enter approach pattern, land, exit runway, dock at a gate, and prepare for next flight. To have control over arrival time, you must use the @ symbol. ... I just suggested you to "not use them"... right ? Puzzling isn't it ? You have to make a choice :
- go for simple things and follow FS AI Engine rules...
or
- have control, but learn more about how the FS AI Engine works...
There is no magic wand to have both control and not follow FS rules. The trick is to fool the AI Engine !

So, the obsolete way to have both is using the "@" symbol. You specify a realistic/actual/well calculated arrival time. TTools will use that arrival time to write at what time and day of week the aircraft will be loaded in a sector. If you happen to have a flight at that time and with that sector activated, the AI aircraft will eventually be loaded, either in flight (approach/cruise/departed) or on ground (at gate, obviously). In your case, you expect the aircraft to be loaded on approach when you load your scene a few minutes before the specified landing time, or if you wait enough for the aircraft. Hopefully it will be activated around FS250/300 on descend.
Meanwhile, the AI Engine will calculate another time at which it expects the aircraft to be loaded in sector, which uses the specified cruising speed instead. Then it calculates the difference between the loaded time from the departure/arrival calculation (because you used the "@" symbol), and this reference time from the departure/cruising speed calculation. If the former exceed the later by 20-22 minutes, the AI aircraft is not loaded on decend/approach ! Plus the 15mn standard duration of an approach/landing sequence, this equates 35-37 minutes, 37 being the critical maximum time frame, that's why it's called the 37 minute problem.

What you should understand here is : the 37 minute problem is not the cause of an AI loaded but not able to land. It's just explaining why an AI is not loaded in the air, but just pop in at gate (if enough turnaround time frame - which you don't even have in your flightplans) But that behaviour is the consequence of a wrong use of either the cruising speed, or the "@" symbol, or both. You can't use the "@" symbol, and use whatever cruising speed you want. Those two are tightly related. That's what jvile tried to tell you above, but not every one has time to go deep in explanations.

However, because you used a so tight flight duration with the "@" symbol, FS assumes your aircraft flies at the speed of the International Space Station. The good point is, it would be loaded very early compared to the estimated time of activation calculated from the cruising speed (around 494Kts according to your aircraft config entry) and will not be discarded ! Or it will ! The culprit is your 2Hr repeat period. We don't know at what time you loaded your simulator to wait for the planes to come in, whether you were on the correct schedule with daylight saving time status checked... When you say "it's not working", we don't know whether the aircraft has been loaded but unable to land, or if it wasn't even loaded... (mostly) The 37mn problem only applies to the later, but the 2Hr repeat period really doesn't help to know for sure what's the problem.

I said the "@" symbol was the "obsolete" way to deal with arrival times. Of course, that's not really true, your situation is the proof. But most users won't even try to make their aircraft cruise at Mach 36 ! It's pretty the opposite. In the real world, aircraft doesn't fly from A to B at 494Kts. Flight sequences has variying speed, and average rarely exceet 380Kts for medium haul flights and 420/440 for long haul.
There is an alternative to the "@" symbol for "average" users : reduce the specified cruising speed. This will induce a longer flight duration for the AI engine calculated from the departure time and the cruising speed. That way, the AI will always be loaded earlier (we hope..) and the 37 minute problem doesn't occur. That's how AIFP works by default.

These are the speeds, whichever is of concern(cruise speed I guess).

[Reference Speeds]
max_mach = 0.85
The only one that is related to your concerns is the cruise_speed = 494.0, but at a very low level. This information in your Aircraft.cfg has nothing to do with AI flightplans. However, some tools out there can recover a cruising speed to use for your AI aircraft by reading that cruise_speed specified in the Aircraft.cfg, and use it for your flightplans source files. But the relation ends there. In order to use that entry, you have to do it manually or instruct those tools to do so.
The only cuising speed that matters in AI flightplans is the one specified in your Aircraft_???.txt source file in the form of :
AC#1000,477,"Boeing 747-400 Qantas" // Illustration purpose only !
That "477" is the value used by AI Engine to calculate the estimated time of activation.

There's a huge difference between 477 Kts and 19750 Kts. From the start, you made it very difficult to point out where the problem is... With the 2H repeat period, it's even harder...

I like it that whenever I land in Guwahati, there should be a few planes arriving and departing from and to some particular destinations. Creating that scenario in a realistic way would take years. Hence, the 2Hr flighplans.
Good you enjoy it that way. But if it was supposed to work well whatever you do, it's pretty non sense to try hard to gather all required informations for a given airline, try hard to understand how the AI engine works, and spend hours of beta testings to make the flight fit well in the given time frame. Contributors doesn't do accurate flightplans because they can. They do it because it doesn't work as expected, people are complaining and if no one were to dig deeper, none of us will enjoy the sim as we do at the time. Yes, that take years, it's not easy. Over the years, AI rules has been discovered or undisclosed and very valuable tools has been created and made public.
Of course, all that is still obscure to the average simmer and a learning curve is required to get used to only one of those tools. No it's not easy, but if there were an easier way, this topic wouldn't even exist... It just not take years for you to get activity on Guwahati by downloading and installing complete sets of flightplans and repaints for the airlines, general aviation and military operating at that airport. It also took years for contributors out there to make those repaints and arrange those flightplans in order to avoid the very problem you're encountering here.

I don't know. You decide. :)

PS : when I said above "TTools tries to compile whatever you ask it to", I didn't meant it to be a "low level tool". It has many check implemented and is a "must have" in flightplan editing; it's user guide is one of the most complete and user friendly ever (for a non english tongue like me, I did understood everything the first time I read it), and it serves the community for - I don't know - how many years/decades by now. It's a wonderful compiler, much handy than the one provided with the FS SDK. And one wonderful ability of the tool is the control we have over the way the flightplans are compiled.
What I really meant was "you have to know what you're compiling using it, and when you're unsure of the results, there are other tools you should use that add constrains on what you may do wrong". AIFP for instance doesn't allow you to make your aircraft rocket at Mach 36 unless you choose "Raw compile". Other GREAT tools has similar or other capabilities, but I don't know much about, not using them on a regular basis. Tools are great when you don't know the bits and ends. But when you do, you rarely need them unless you have a problem you don't understand.

snip-------------------------

TTools can use two ways in determining the arrival time of an AI aircraft.

1. You can let TTools calculate the arrival time based on the distance between the two airports of a flight (calculated from the airports.txt file) and the cruise speed (in the aircraft.txt file). This is called “calculated arrival time”.

2. You can force the AI aircraft to arrive at a time used in the flightplans.txt file by including a prefix @ to the arrival time. This is called “fixed arrival time”.

If the @ is forcing the "fixed arrival time" to be longer then 37 minutes of the "calculated arrival time" the AI Plane will not materalize at the edge of the Visual AI Zone.

NOTE: Common misunderstandings and mix-ups:

The AI engine within Flight Simulator will always calculate its own arrival time based on a distance and cruise speed setting for each AI flight plan. This is done even if the AI flight plans are compiled with the "fixed arrival time" (@ symbol). That means there are always 2 different flight plan times compiled and the difference should not be more then 37 minutes.

If you have previously removed the @ from an AI flight plan you have to delete the AI flight plan and install the original one all over again. Otherwise you will not get any effect of the @ symbol. The arrival time will always be the calculated time based on distance and cruise speed. Hence, the difference between "fixed arrival time" and "calculated arrival time" will always be 0 minutes and all flights not using @ will land normally.

The cruise speed setting in the TTools aircraft.txt file DO NOT affect the actual cruise speed of the AI aircraft in Flight Simulator. It is only a parameter used by Flight Simulator to calculate the AI planes current position. The actual flying cruise speed if you follow the AI aircraft or its anywhere is your visual AI Zone (108NM radius) is set by a percentage of the cruise_speed and max_mach that is listed in the aircraft.cfg file.

your example

snip--------------------

[Reference Speeds]
max_mach = 0.85

hope this also helps

Last edited: