• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX 3D ground polys and textures?

Messages
10
Country
unitedkingdom
Hello there.

As a new guy to scenery creation I have 2 questions.

1) what is a common resolution used for terrain texturing, I'm talking about cm per pixel in things like satellite imagery. I ask as I'm trying create some custom textures but I'm unsure what resolution to aim for.

2) I am using Model converter x to create ground polys from 2D planes made in Gmax. However, I would like to create some simple rolling hills on some farmland near an airport. Would simply converting a 3d model to a ground poly in model converter work just fine? or would anyone recommend some further reading or a tutorial? My worry would be collisions. Would fsx correctly work out the collisions, or may there be a problem since unlike flat terrain, it would not line up perfectly with the default ground polys.

Thank you for any help or guidance on these questions.
 
The problem of using that method Tejal, is that is not posible to convert it on landable platform... I just tried on the pass without succes, some error happend if too much faces is on the model that compile the gmax sdk apps.
 
Hi, All right, thanks for clarification, I never tried that tutorial, I was just thinking in the terrain as such, maybe Model convertex could do with that task, it can harden Surfaces as sloped runways and peaked roof houses. but could be it throw the same error with such huge file. Greetings.
 
Back
Top