• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

About FSX Photoscene

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
This forum is for the support of FSX Photoscene.

FSX Photoscene is a freeware scenery design tool for Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX). It builds photo scenery BGL files using photo "tiles" that have been acquired using tools such as TileProxy and other 3rd party tile downloaders.

The FSX Photoscene manual can be found here:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=FSX_Photoscene

The first public beta of FSX Photoscene shall be available soon.

Country
brazil
Hi, Mathews

In this new forum, are we allowed to mention allready existing tools with the same option, even for method comparison?

Thanks,

José Lôbo

Country
australia
Is there any chance

Hi

Is there any chance that after loading down the "Tiles" for
our Scenery,compiling to a .bgl etc that there would be a
way of interfacing with SDE and/or FSX Planner to use them
as the background image ???

Regards
Steve

Last edited:
Country
brazil
Hi,

Are you comparing one tool that doesn't exist yet with one that you don't know how to use?

José

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Hi

Is there any chance that after loading down the "Tiles" for
our Scenery,compiling to a .bgl etc that there would be a
way of interfacing with SDE and/or FSX Planner to use them
as the background image ???

Regards
Steve

FSX Photoscene doesn't actually download tiles (for legal reasons) but relies on the user to acquire the tiles using 3rd party tools.

It does however build a TIF file (from acquired tiles) for input to FSX Resample. I suppose it could optionally build a JPG or BMP for use in other programs eg SDE/FSXPlanner

Just hoping that we will be able to make satelite images without erors... it can be long... I want something less ''errorfull'' than SBuilderX. No mather how many time it will take

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia
Just hoping that we will be able to make satelite images without erors... it can be long... I want something less ''errorfull'' than SBuilderX. No mather how many time it will take

It's very easy to use. And provides a list "tiles" you need to acquire using a tool such as Tileproxy or other 3rd party downloaders.

I wish I could include an inbuilt tile downloader because then it would be a "one click" solution for photoscenery. At this stage though I prefer not to include an inbuilt tile downloader (for legal reasons).

I am hoping to upload the 1st beta sometime this weekend. Fingers crossed, no promises :)

Country
panama
So did it become vapourware? no news about it. Seemed promising except for the use of fwtools which appears to have disappeared or require other things.

I am very interested in this one, I tried SBuilderX and did not find it appropriate for much, I guess only the developer knows how to use it LOL.

MatthewS

Resource contributor
Country
australia

Attachments

• fsx_photoscene_bangkok.jpg
    fsx_photoscene_bangkok.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,693
  • fsx_photoscene_kathmandu.jpg
    fsx_photoscene_kathmandu.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,643
Country
australia
FSX Photoscene will be ready "in the fullness of time".

"At the apropriate juncture" :p

So no ETA at all? Sure looks good. I just hope it is easy to use. I mean I have those FWTools but havn't a clue what they are for.

Last edited:

spotlope

FSDevConf team
Country
portugal
I am very interested in this one, I tried SBuilderX and did not find it appropriate for much, I guess only the developer knows how to use it LOL.

I'm confused by comments like this about SBuilderX. I've been using it for years, and find it one of the most helpful tools in my toolbox. I don't mean to hijack a thread about another tool, but it bothers me to see unsubstantiated claims made about SBuilder when I know what a great tool it can be.

Country
unitedstates
I'm trying to learn your craft of photo scenery, but not having much luck.
Keep getting an error saying "resolution to high!" I used a google earth image, the resolution doesn't look high to me? Want to photo real my home town airfield - Eppley Air Field - Omaha, Nebraska. Same place but not the same air field that USSTRATCOM -SAC- Offut AFB exists at. Could some one tell me or show, or send me an image as an example of what resolution it should be at. It is a free ware project that if the image was used (up to the sender), I would put the senders name on for the photo real part of the scenery. AFCAD is finished, but would need improvments for photo real.

Please and Thank you's. For any help.
Tim..

N41323196-95944402W41315742-9594442.jpg

GHD

Country
england
Hi Tim,

I used Maps2Bgl/VE and it created the bgls automatically.

You can easily create TIFFs to make water masks and blend to the default scenrey.

Edit. I also tried Maps2Bgl/GE and that worked also, giving exactly the same result.

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
I just discovered the Maps2Bgl program and it's amazing. After messing a bit in google earth, it was honestly 3 clicks to make photoreal scenery.

I tried GE but it downloaded nothing. The tiles would countdown as if it were downloading them but nothing would appear in the preview window. Any advice to get GE working? VE is what I ended up using but would prefer to use GE.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Country
panama
I tried to use Maps2BGL but it has a very silly installation problem, it does not accept blanks in the installation path (duh!) these days that is nearly the rule to have space (although I hate it), for example d:\Program Files\ or d:\Program Files (x86)

Because it did not accept spaces it could not install it, I don't want to mess up my disk with installations out of their intended place.

GHD

Country
england
I don't want to mess up my disk with installations out of their intended place.

Eh? Who decides where is their intended place? Surely it is the user who decides. I keep all of my addon programs in G:\"Name-Of-Addon"

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
RULE #1

Never install any design program or program that writes files within it's own folder structure in the ..\Program Files folder (or any Windows equivalent folder name).