• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ACM questions regarding multiple FS platforms

Country
unitedstates
Hi Arno, still testing ACM with my add-on which drew a few new questions.

1. So I have testers installing on one FS version (which I presume the majority of users have), but I also have testers which will install ACM for more than one say FSX:SE and P3Dv4. All installs and updates ok. The issue/question arises with the backups. There is one location for all backups. Which backup applies to which FS version? Replacing the wrong back into the wrong FS could affect other 3rd-party add-ons. I am running four platforms currently, I cannot see a way to distinguish which backup is for which platform.

If my assessment is true, what about having different backup folders based on each FS version installed? Like:

AutogenConfigurationMerger
FSX
Backup01
Backup02
FSX:SE
Backup01
P3Dv4
Backup01
Backup02
Backup03

2. I plan to try this but thought I would ask in the meantime... Let's assume user has ACM installed in the default location from a previous 3rd-party add-on. He may or may not be even aware it has been installed. Now with my installer he selects a different location to install ACM. What would happen? Crash? Conflict? An ACM warning that ACM is already installed in a different location?

3. I take it there is no uninstaller for ACM? Does ACM make a Windows registry entry of its installed path? Thinking like FS install paths. I am looking at ways to uninstall automatically and ensure it would not damage any other previous ACM installs.

Thanks,

Marcus

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
1. Good point, the backups are not per version at the moment. That's probably something I should add.

2. If ACM detects it is installed already the user will not be able to select a location. The old location is used and if you are installing a newer version it will be updated. This will only fail if the registry keys of ACM are gone, then it doesn't know it is there already.

3. ACM has no uninstaller at the moment. If you uninstall your scenery you never know if other sceneries still use ACM. So that's why it's install only.

Country
unitedstates
1. Please consider it... that would be useful.

2. If the old location is used, is there any warning, pop-up, etc. that the User's new location selection will not be used or is that all "silent"?

2a. Where is the registry path so I can look at it?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
For point 2, the user never gets a box to end a location when a previous install is found. So no need to warn him either.

You should find the registry key in: Software\SceneryDesign.org\AutogenConfigurationMerger

Country
unitedstates
Thanks for the info. If you wish to send me another version of ACM with multiple backup folders based on FS installed, now would be a great time to test it as I have a team going through ACM right now for several weeks. :p

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll try to add it in a few days.

Country
unitedstates
Don't suppose there is a way to add the installation path of ACM into the command line? Thus not requiring the ACM GUI (I could still run silent, then).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Not at the moment I think, but it would be something I could add. The exception would be that you can't install ACM twice on the system, so if already installed it would ignore the path.

I didn't have time to work on ACM in the last days, because the kids were a bit ill. Hopefully I can start on the changes soon (backup and this).

Country
unitedstates
I thought that is how ACM already worked... you cannot have multiple installations at different locations?

Currently, my installer asks which flightsim platform you wish to install for? Then that information is passed on to the ACM installation. So if there is multiple FS versions ACM silently installs (currently at Program Files (x86), and re-installs for each additional platform. One install location/multiple platforms. That works fine.

But as mentioned before, serveral are not keen on the default location so I would have to take it out of Silent mode so they can enter a path of their choosing. I was about to start testing that with multiple platforms. I was assuming the ACM GUI opens, choose a path, proceed, then it will open again representing a different platform. If the User tries to enter a different path ACM will check for a previous install. If it is there it will ignore the current install path and just overwrite (?) at the first installation path. At least that's how I thought it worked.

But I foresee this could get cumbersome, maybe misunderstanding with the ACM GUI opening multiple times and could lead to errors (which we were about to start testing). I figured since you already provide the FS version as command line option you could add a path as well. That way the user inputs install path one time and ACM can run silently repeating the installation if required all without the Users interaction.

No rush... I know it's the holidays. I'm losing testers several days at a time , just expected this time of year. But if you have some time to cobble something out when can put it work :p

Happy HoliDAZE :santahat:

Marcus

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

ACM assumes it is installed only ones. It could be installed outside of program files, but only one instance would be allowed. It should be possible to pass the install path on the command prompt. I'll add that in the next revision.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Here is a new build that contains two changes:
  • There is an extra command line option to specify the install folder called INSTALL_FOLDER. After that command you specify the path.
  • The backups are now made in a sub-folder per FS version.
I have to add I didn't test the changes well, since on this PC I only have one FS version installed. So it might still be buggy. Only for testing :)

Edit: removed beta build, as official release is available now.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Wow, that was fasto_O

I will start looking at it today. For the INSTALL_FOLDER, do I need quotes or brackets or anything ... so it should look something like:

AutogenConfiqurationManager.exe install p3dv3 INSTALL_FOLDER "C:\Program Files (x86)" SILENT

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Yes, if the path has spaces you need the quotes.