• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Ade-gp 0.0.62

Messages
5,214
Morning Don (and Jon),

It looks as if things are under control as far as I have been able to ascertain.
Just a few minor things of which some may be due to ADE and not to the GP-editor:
- when editing an existing line, I have to choose the line style again and subsequently position the texture again.
- when I wanted to change the texture of an existing polygon, the first time the gp-editor locked up and the only way to continue was to close the GP-editor through the windows task manager but ADE then closed as well and what I had been working on was lost.
- when trying to place a line, selecting and moving a vertex, you can no longer see the line width so that it becomes very hard to connect the lines at exactly the same spot.
- rotating a line works but is a bit cumbersome as far as texture is concerned. It would be nice, if for instance, when drawing a line next to a runway, you could give the line the same heading as the runway. In other words, it would be nice to be able to tell the gp-editor what the heading should be for the texture as well as for the line itself. On the other hand, using a helper line that can be rotated and then converted into a poly, would be another option. At present a helper line cannot be converted into a gp line.
I am now going to find out how things work for curves:).
 
Last edited:
At present a helper line cannot be converted into a gp line.

Not sure why you would want to do that. However it seems that you are looking for a straight line helper - is that correct? Something like converting a guideline into a GP line?
 
I may not understand this. However there will only be a line type reported in ADE if the texture is included in Lines_Def and has line types listed. Is gp_RwyEdge_304X105 a texture in Lines_Def? the GP Editor returns a blank if there are no 'line types'

So gp_PatternedLines_40F should display a line type when used. gp_Concrete won't

It looks to me (and I admit not understanding it) that the texture you are showing George does not have line types.....

Though reading your post again George I think I am wrong and there is a line type................:o
 
Jon, Don,

Yes, I am speaking about a straight line to be converted into a gp. If there were an extra 'line' helper shape that you could also give a heading, it would make things easier and save time.
Another thing (silly maybe), but could the background color of the gp-editor be changed as well? I mean, I have a texture sheet with a white band at the left side. The white is invisible in the editor.
George states (as I did) that you have to give in the pattern style again. That is correct. But I also have to position the texture again as well.
Then, maybe an idea for resizing textures: How about a possibility to double, triple, half, third or quarter a texture size without having to resize 'manually' ?
Maybe that would avoid having to make new textures or texture and line definitiions each time?
Finally some screenshots to better explain what I mean:

Below what the gp-editor shows upon editing a line:

62linetype1.jpg


Below what the gp-editor shows once having selected the line style (notice I have to reposition the texture). It also shows why I would like to have a non-white background (the left side of the texture has a white band but you cannot see it}:

62linetype2.jpg


Below a selected line in ADE that I would like to reposition:

disappearingwidth2.jpg


Below what happens when I select and drag the vertex (the line is not dragged along):

disappearingwidth.jpg
 
I will see if I can provide a 'Line' Helper - I think using the guideline would be simplest perhaps.
 
I think ADE should make the outline visible during a drag (similar to taxiway links).

I am not quite sure what that means. The width of the GP line as drawn in ADE should match the width as presented in FS.
 
I don't think that would help. The problem is that the GP line outline (width) disappears during dragging a vertex.

Oh - OK - that is something that could be fixed I think and entirely different from a helper shape...........
 
OK - that is done. I turned off some code to improve performance on dragging. Turning it back on allows the full line width to follow the vertex drag


Now do we need a line helper?
 
No, not really any longer, thank you.
But we do need the Bézier ones:D;).
George, I am not sure what you mean by making the texture colors what I want. I know I can make the same texture and change the color. I am speaking about resizing the texture.
Example:

straightchevron.jpg


The texture for the taxiway markings would have to be made again for the straight part of the taxiway unless there were an easy way of resizing (as you can see, the distance between two markings is about double the distance of the ones in the curve).
 
Starting from the top:

Roby:
when editing an existing line, I have to choose the line style again and subsequently position the texture again.
Presumably you are using George's ADE file which includes a number of lines for which the line type is missing. I explained why they are missing in a post yesterday. (I haven't seen a response from George) You must reassign the line-type with the GP editor.

when I wanted to change the texture of an existing polygon, the first time the gp-editor locked up and the only way to continue was to close the GP-editor through the windows task manager but ADE then closed as well and what I had been working on was lost.
As I've said twice now, to diagnose such issues I need the file you are using and instructions as to how to replicate the issue.

Then, maybe an idea for resizing textures: How about a possibility to double, triple, half, third or quarter a texture size without having to resize 'manually' ?
Maybe that would avoid having to make new textures or texture and line definitiions each time?
I'll see if I can do something without adding extra controls, e.g., hold down the "+" or "-" key when clicking one of the resize buttons. I can see how this would be convenient but, I don't see how it will avoid having to create additional textures/texture definitions if a simple resize is all that's required.

but could the background color of the gp-editor be changed as well? I mean, I have a texture sheet with a white band at the left side. The white is invisible in the editor.
If I can safely change the background color, I''ll add a control for that.

Your other issues appear to be ADE related and Jon has already replied.

George:
I still have a problem in that the line type is not being returned to ADE
I explained yesterday what I believed the cause of the original problem. Before the line type will reappear in the ADE tooltip, you must re-assign it with the GP editor.

Your experience in reassigning the line type was exactly as it should have been. When you (re)assign a line type, the line is straightened and centered on the texture. If the starting point of the line relative to the texture is important, then, yes, you must drag the vertices to the correct position - as you had to do when you originally assigned line type.

BTW. The south markings needed flipping in both directions.
I only needed to flip them once.

You can make the bmp in Textures_dpy any colour you wish. All that matters is that is has the same layout as that in Textures.
God bless you! Did you find religion overnight? Yesterday you were concenered about the amount of effort in creating textures and today you are promoting an extra step.;)

Bottom Line: Other than the potential for additional controls, 0.0.61 appears to be "doing its job", I can (hopefully) look forward to a relaxing day.

Don
 
If there were no line type specified, the line would be at an angle.

It is not and the vertices are correctly positioned relative to the texture.
No. An object being edited is displayed in the position at the completion of the previous edit.

It is not being set in the Line Pattern/Style combo box.
That's because it was missing from the ADE information

It is not being returned to ADE.
Your series of screenshots does not show a post-this-edit tooltip - which I am confident will include line-type.

Don
 
Hi Don,

I'm having the same problem the others are - when I come back and edit a line I have just created, I get No Line Type Selected.

Here is the sequence:

1. Create a new line, this one with 3 segments and allow ADE to take you to the GP Editor:

attachment.php


2. I now assign a texture and line style, and move the line so it starts at the edge of the texture:

attachment.php


3. I now click OK, and then I want to edit that line. I go back into the GP Editor and see this - note the Line Pattern/Style box:

attachment.php


4. I now re-select the line style, and when I do that, my positioning of the line has been changed back to the default (as I would expect, I assume).

attachment.php


I think the line is still positioned over the correct line style (judging from the view in the window). It's just that the drop down box does not display the current line style, making us think that we need to re-select it (which actually does the damage).

Hope this helps,
 
Last edited:
PS. If I leave the No Line Type Selected in the box and click OK, now ADE is showing the line style as a blank. However, if I once again edit the line, the GP Editor still shows the line over the correct line style (but still No Line Type Selected in the box).

And if I compile the airport and look in FS, the correct line style is being displayed. So it is only the drop down box and the message sent to ADE that is incorrect.
 
Last edited:
Sorry but I am going to wade in here also.

I ran a simple test:

  • Create a GP Line
  • Define a texture and texture (line) type
  • Save the custom line. ADE tooltip shows the texture type
  • Edit the line - No Line Type Selected is shown
  • If I cancel then the texture type is shown
  • If I save then the Texture type is lost

I checked the inbound data to the Editor on Edit and the line type is present
I checked the outbound data from the Editor on Save and the line type is not present

If you then edit the object again then no line type will be sent from ADE and so on.....

So I would guess that the editor is not reading the line type from the inbound data from ADE.
 
George, your edit arrived AFTER I responded! As well, neither your original post nor Roby's made reference to editing a line that had already been processed with 0.0.62. If it had, I would have recognized the situation for what it was. In it's absence, I made what seems (both now and then) a logical assumption. I'm not a mind-reader.

At the moment, I cannot explain what's going on. All I can tell you is that yesterday, after correcting the coding error that caused an exception on my system (but that, mysteriously, apparently, did not cause one on yours), line types were being retained on my system. I confirmed that again this morning after getting the opening barrage of e-mails.

Tom and Jon have just provided some additional information (rather than invective) that may prove helpful in getting to the bottom of this.

Don
 
But, it must be reading the line type from ADE on the initial entry since, after compiling,the result is shown correctly in FSX.

It is for Don to say but it I would hazard a guess that the Editor is reading the data since the position of the line is on the correct line type. However this is not being picked up by the drop list for line type.

On save the Editor is returning what is has in the drop list which is nothing.
 
Folks

I can see this becoming heated - we are all on the same side here :)
 
I assume there are two messages sent to ADE - one is the positioning of the line on the texture (which is still being sent just fine) and one telling ADE the name of the line style (which is not being sent after an edit of an existing line).
 
Back
Top