• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Animation Problem

Messages
15
Country
unitedstates
I am new here. I have been working with Gmax for a while and have succesfully made plenty of scenery for FS. I have decided to explore animation with scenery.

I have made a simple object in gmax with a swinging door. I named the box it connects to "base01" and the swinging door "tick18_door". I am using the FS2002 gamepack. I export it using the keep file option in order to get the asm files. I use the CAT tool inorder to specify the animation parameters. I then get 2 new asm files. I try to compile them with BGLC but they will not compile. :( When I compile through a dos prompt it simply says "BGLC: ERROR!" I do not know what is happening. I have tried compiling files with animation from GMAX without using the CAT tool and they also will not compile. I can compile files that have no animation. Does anyone know anything that can help. I have viewed the tutorials from this site and have followed them word for word, so I dont think it is a gmax problem. Thanks in advance.

Wes :)
 
Hi Wes,

I have never heard of that problem before. Are you sure you are using the BGLC version for Fs2002 (and not an even older one)?
 
Hi,

Weird problem indeed. Maybe you can post the asm files here? So we can have a look at them. It could also be a version problem with Gmax/MakeMDL/BGLC/...


Thomas
 
Thank you both for your response. I have attached both asm files. As far as the version problem goes, I have listed the version of the programs that I am using.
Gmax 1.2
BGLC All I know is I downloaded from the 2002 SDK
MakeMDL From 2002 SDK
I am also using Middle Man v1.3
I am using mdlcommander v1.3

Just in case it helps here is my export pipeline.
Gmax > FSModelExp.dle > Makemdl (Middle Man) > Mdlcommander > Microsofts MakeMDL

I use these steps to get the asm files and then to place several files in a library BGL file. I use the BGL files for Flight Sim Scenery Creator from Lago.

Thank you again for your help.
Wes
 

Attachments

Hi Wes.

As far as BGLC, why not download BGLC_9:

http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59

It should replace all earlier versions without problem, and will compile FS9 code as well. I don't even have an earlier version on my computer... I just rename BGLC_9.exe as BGLC.exe for applications that require that.

Dick
 
Your source codes compile fine here, so it is not the ASM file itself that is wrong. Must be something with the compiler you are using.

Why are you using MDLCommander and MiddleMan? They might be useful if you are working on aircraft or so, but if you are only making some scenery then they have no real purpose IMHO. Using the "Keep files" option of the latest MakeMDL version for Fs2002 also saves the source files.
 
THanks Arno for checking the ASM files. I dont know why I was using Middleman and MDLcommander, I probably used them for something along the way along time ago. Anyways, I redid my GMAX pipeline and I am now able to get animation in Flight SIm. However, the scenery with animation I put into Flight Sim seems to be doing somethings weird. In gmax my hangar doors are attached to the hangar. When they get into FLight SIm they seem to be bigger and they do not touch the hangar. Although the animation is perfect. I attached a picture for better clarification.
 

Attachments

  • hangar1 copy.gif
    hangar1 copy.gif
    78 KB · Views: 676
Hi,

Good to hear you have made some progress. Unfortunately the next problem is often just around the corner :).

It is hard to see from the picture was is actually happening. But the parts of the doors are animating as you wanted them to do? They are only offset compared to the rest of your object?

Did you use anything special during the animating process, or just move and rotate?
 
The doors are animating as they are supposed to, in reference to movement. To my knowledge I did not use anything special. I did set the gizmos to the center of the object and aligned them to the world coordinate. But, I am only a begginer when it somes to animation so I dont know if its me doing something wrong or if I have a wrong setting. I do not get any errors from any of the processes used to put scenery animation in Flight Sim. I attached some more photos. The first shows the doors closed. The second shows the doors open. These are from Gmax. The picture I posted earlier shows the doors enlarged and not touching the hangar as intended. Again, Arno, thank you for your help. :)
 

Attachments

  • closed.gif
    closed.gif
    70.6 KB · Views: 667
  • open.gif
    open.gif
    58 KB · Views: 686
I have similar problems with a hangar with folding doors. When I unlinked the parts of the door before animating, it went well in FS too - but that's more work of course. :(
 
Back
Top