• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Attachpoint Removal

Messages
35
Hello!!

I am creating a new Scenery for OLBA, I am in the process of finalizing the Main terminal to proceed with other buildings.

My question is can you remove an attach point from the model after you've added it to it.

I am using 3DSmax and by mistake assigned a platform to a detailed object and saved the file then compiled. We all know that platforms are invisible so this part is not showing in FSX.

How can I restore my object or how can I remove the platform attachpoint from it!!!

Regards to all!

Jad
 
Sorry for that guys, I found the solution, although it is an FSX attachpoint you can still remove it using the remove FS9 stuff!!

regards,

Jadzzz
 
Or else I would go to the properties of the object. Under custom you should find some XML code of the attachpoint. If you remove that it should also be gone (the attachpoint that is, the object should show again).
 
Removing the XML from the object's Properties and then renaming the object is indeed the simplest approach! :D
 
Isn't the "correct" technique to make a dummy object to hold your attachpoint? This is what I have always done, and it works great. It keeps the attachpoint xml AWAY FROM the rest of my geometry!

And example would be a 30m radio tower. I want a red flashing beacon on top. I make a 0.1m x 0.1m x 0.1m box on top, and set it up as an attachpoint. If I don't like my attachpoint, I can simply delete that box. The box never appears in the sim, once you tell 'max that it is an attachpoint--only your effect appears in the sim.

The OP's issue seems to be a bit different, in that he had placed the attachpoint on existing geometry, correct? I never do that for the reason above...
 
bump :)

Is the "correct" method to make a dummy object and use that as your attachpoint? (That is the way I have always done it.)
 
Yes, a dummy object should be used as the Attachpoint and be the "Parent" for the controlled part(s).
 
...by mistake assigned a platform to a detailed object

Sure it's ideal to keep attachpoints separate from your model

I think the point here is nicely solved ... how to fix a simple mistake. You would normally have a separate platform - but it is fairly easy to attach the Platform to the wrong object.

And great to know how to fix it.
 
Hi Guys I agree with what you were discussing, but my attach point was a platform, i.e it could never have been a dummy! And I selected the main object instead of the polygon by mistake.

Just for info, thank you!!!
 
I have a similar problem which results in an error when I try to export- The message reads:

System.Exception: Duplicated FileLabels found with name: RIFF-MDLD-REFPattachpt_LargeVent_15-end

I've removed all attachpoints in the 'properties' dialogue box and no attach points show in the object list.

Any idea how to get rid of them/it?

Another problem which requires some help is that a couple of degenerate polys are present in one part of my model which means the whole object is not showing when exported (usually there are a few degenerative polys as a hangover from doing the basic modelling in Sketchup but it usually doesn't result in anymore than a warning). The issue is, there is no apparent geometry at the coordinates that the warning box gives me? Any idea how to get rid of it or even what consititutes a 'degenerative polygon'?

Thanks in advance :)
 
Hmm the plot thickens- A better clean of the offending object now allows me to export the model again (with no warnings about degenerate polys or duplicate attachpoints) however the object still doesn't show.

What does show in modelconvertorX, however, is an attachpoint outside the bounds of the model? So- How can I remove the ruddy thing?

No attachpoints show in the 'Properties' for the gmax file- There are a few threads referencing what looks to be the raw code for a 3D file but i've no idea how to access that?

Edit: Fixed! I assumed that finding the attachpoint code would be in the Gmax file properties but then found that each object also has a properties where the attachpoints are held. The object I was having trouble with had an incomplete xml string and after removing that, it exported fine!

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top