• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Autogen for the n00b

Messages
27
Country
us-wyoming
Greetings,

While surfing for good bush flying locales I came across mountainflying.com. There I found a great deal of "opportunities". On in particular caught my eye, Cabin Creek (I08). I have been able to doll up the runway and such using AFX but am still at a loss as to how to use autogen annotator to plant the trees that are needed. I am not looking to add a custom bit map, just to work with the existing one that covers the ground there. A kick in the pant in the right direction would be appreciated.

PSB
 
Hi,

You can only place new accurate autogen if you have added a custom aerial image to the area. Else you would have to adjust the autogen of the landclass texture used around your airport, but that would affect every place on earth where that same texture is used.
 
Ok, then....

Here is the money question. There is SOOOO much to cull thru on the great Googly-Moogly that if you can point me to what you think are good tutorials for the complete scenery making neophyte, I'd appreciate it.

I need "from scratch" instruction. I'd love to make com simple scenery but there is soo much "high level" discussion out there that I am at a loss where to start. I am not talking about anything really complex. I am looking at some back country strips that are nothing more than a patch of grass or dirt to land on. There are always trees to contend with but FSX never has any in the locations I am interested in.

I can use AFX to make airstrips easy enough. I fear flattens however. I always used FSTUtilities to make them for FS9 but that is no longer an option.

In simple terms I guess I need an education on setting a custom texture for the area and utilizing autogen annotator to plant my trees.

If I decide to get more advanced, flattens as necessary (if I have a strip that does not yet exist in the FS world).

Wilson_Bar.jpg

Wilsons.JPG
 
Last edited:
Almost....

We have trees!

Just not dense enough. Can anyone tell me the LC that has the densest pine growth or point me at the appropriate tool(s) for extracting the information? In particular I am looking for the same LC that surrounds I08 (Cabin creek). I've been recompiling for a while now and still have not hit the right LC.

Additionally, there appears to be an exclude that surrounds the runway and I am loosing alot of trees because of it. The exclusion zone looks to be around 10 runway widths so the tree setback is fairly far from the runway. I encircled the entire runway in a poly to get it nesteled in nicely but it still is quite well out in the open.

PSB
 
We have a winner.... of sorts.

I used an airport boundary exclude to solve the issue posted above but ended up with an over grown runway no matter what I tried. The FS world does not line up with the Google world perfectly. I was having fits with an exclude polygon because it just never seemed to open up the runway when I discovered that the runway was not in the right place for the exclude, at least as far as Google Earth and FS are not in agreement on the runway position.

I slewed over a bit where I noticed the trees were a bit sparser and 'lo there it was, a nice clean shot for a take off run all nicely surrounded in pines.

Now that I have gone this far I am tempted to play with the river flowing through the area to make it look a bit nicer... but I'll finish with the runway before I get too carried away.

Thank you for the kick... and any further advice you can give for making rivers look like... rivers. I get the feeling that will just be a long drawn out polygon death march of flattens and water.
 
Back
Top