• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Autogen Internal Format

Messages
1,032
Country
us-florida
I'm looking into the possibility of developing an autogen tool that can mass produce autogen vegetation that is photoscenery accurate and am wondering if anyone has enough knowledge of the internals for us to be able to generate code for it...

We'd use it in house but probably would also release it publicly due to the benefit it would have to the greater FS community...
 
Hi Dean:

Are you familiar with the autogen annotator tool by Art Martin?

http://simulatingart.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=6

He might have gained some insight independent of that by David J Griffiths in his Autotrees (automatic autogen file creation) beta v0.1:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=autotrees&CatID=root&Go=Search

Also, Adnan Arif (BEV) and John Venema aka Koorby (BEV/VOZ) might have gained quite of bit of insight in their autogen work:

Adnan: http://library.avsim.net/search.php...nan+arif&Sort=Added&ScanMode=1&Go=Change+View

Koorby: http://library.avsim.net/search.php...n+venema&Sort=Added&ScanMode=1&Go=Change+View

Of course, our gracious Host Arno likely knows quite a bit about this too! :)

Hope this helps! :cool:

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Thanks Gary, yeah I've researched those avenues before and right now Dave's approach looks like the best method, but if I can find out more of the internal structure for the AGN format (RIFF) we may be able to code a new autogen program for both trees and buildings for photoscenery in an automated fashion...

I could try and contact John at Orbx but I'm not sure about how they're coding autogen, may be by hand...

I'm wondering how much Arno knows about the internal structure, I'm thinking I can make a way to easily autorender the autogen files but the only thing is in knowing either:

A) how to code vector/raster so the annotator can import the data

or

B) the final format to code into from the imaging/gis software...

Here's the header info for the AGN files:

Code:
00000000h: 52 49 46 46 98 28 00 00 41 47 4E 58 56 45 52 53 ; RIFF˜(..AGNXVERS
00000010h: 04 00 00 00 33 33 13 41 47 42 44 44 10 00 00 00 ; ....33.AGBDD....
00000020h: 0A 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 ; ................
00000030h: 47 42 4C 44 C8 01 00 00 47 42 4C 52 C0 01 00 00 ; GBLDÈ...GBLRÀ...
00000040h: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ; ................

Constants are:

RIFF (know what this is)
AGNXVERS 33 (autogen FSX version)
AGBDD (autogen ???)
GBLD (????)
GBLR (????)

I read somewhere that the autogen is based on 16x16 pixel data, so I'm wondering if it's perhaps a raster format? If it's a raster based set then what is the base format that the RIFF is encasing?
 
Hi Dean,

Some time ago I got some basic information about the AGN file format from a friend. I still planned to put that on the Wiki (and hopefully people will extend it then). He said the format is quite easy to understand. I am afraid I won't have time before I go on vacation to find this info though.
 
If you do figure it out it certainly would be a HUGE help. My personal wish would be the ability to convert shapefiles (with the relevant GUID of the autogen in the attribute table) into agn format.

You would have to cut the polygons into squares first as once an annotation block gets over a certain size, FSX crashes.
 
Yeah the FSX autogen format info would be extremely helpful, would love to code a tool we can all use...
 
Yeah the FSX autogen format info would be extremely helpful, would love to code a tool we can all use...

It's fairly easy to decode. All you need do is create an agn file with one object and look at it with a hex viewer. Your example above starts with a building.

George
 
I'd do that if it wasn't for the fact that I'm kinda snowed under with full photoscenery coverage for Utah...

No point re-inventing the wheel if it's already been done, which it has to a certain degree... Especially when there's a couple of hundred objects in the mix and several formats available for trees, forests, mixes of autogen etc...

Just don't have the time, if I had the data available then could just write the code for a tool to convert datasets...

Otherwise it's a waste of time considering FSX is now 2 years old...
 
is the autogen format expected to change in FSnext though? There doesn't appear to be too much wrong with it (from my limited knowledge)....the limitation seems to be the simplicity of the models (i.e. 2 plane trees) and the way the sim reads the files rather than the format itself I would have thought?
 
It's not much yet, but I have added the information about the FSX AGN format that I have (vegatation polygons only for the moment) to the Wiki. If I find some time later this Christmas break I might try to find some more.
 
I haven't yet looked 'into' an agn file but from the wiki information it doesn't appear too complex??

How do you open them? Will notepad suffice?

And just to clarify my thinking: each veg polygon is defined in terms of coordinates from the LOD13 corner not in absolute terms (I guess that makes sense.....but it does make conversion of existing GIS polygons difficult)
 
I don't think notepad will work, with a hex editor you can see a lot more :).

Yes, some logic would have to be inserted with real geo data, so that the knowledge about the FS LOD system can be added and position given compared to that.
 
Back
Top