• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Autogen will NOT work!

Messages
37
Country
us-utah
I am compiling some photo-scenery using FSEarthTiles to underlie my conversion of the FSX version of the the flightport.de EDFU Mainbullau scenery. Sadly I've had some problems making autogen show up on these tiles.

Some information:
FSEarthTiles uses resample.exe (from the FS9 SDK) to do the work - FSEarthTiles functions as a GUI and tile downloader.
My conversion is for my own personal use and will not be distributed.
I have tested my scenery with every possible configuration in an attempt to locate the problem. I've even gone so far as to strip my scenery.cfg down to only three areas: base terrain, base mesh, and a folder containing a single file - my photoscenery! Therefore, I can state there is nothing excluding the autogen - it simply does not show up, even when it is literally the only scenery in FS9 at all!

The area consists of only 6 tiles. Therefore, for troubleshooting purposes, it should be pretty easy to upload the whole photoscenery as an attachment to a post if need be.
 
Hi,

Did you make new autogen for the photo scenery? A photo scenery will suppress the default autogen.
 
OK, and you put the agn files in the correct texture folder?

You might want to try if one of the bgl files of the airport is causing the autogen exclusion. Sometimes BGL files suppress autogen in an area around the file.
 
OK, and you put the agn files in the correct texture folder?

You might want to try if one of the bgl files of the airport is causing the autogen exclusion. Sometimes BGL files suppress autogen in an area around the file.

Yes, I have tested for these things. I have tested the phototerrain independent of the rest of the scenery and I am not using Ultimate Terrain. Furthermore, I maintain a separate, unmodified FS9 install for testing purposes. I have tested this scenery in that install as well, with no change in the severity of the issue. I mentioned all of this in my first post.
I should clarify, perhaps, that much of the autogen does work - the problem is that on each of the tiles, there is a region where no trees are placed, no matter what configuration I've enabled scenery.
 
I think your problem is that you exceeded 600 trees per tile. You've got 1856 trees on one tile I see. When you exceed 600 they start dropping out in large swaths. You can set autotrees to limit itself to 600 or less IIRC.
 
I think your problem is that you exceeded 600 trees per tile. You've got 1856 trees on one tile I see. When you exceed 600 they start dropping out in large swaths. You can set autotrees to limit itself to 600 or less IIRC.
Really? 1856 trees on one tile? What tool are you using to get that number? I'm pretty sure Autotrees can't generate anything higher than 1000 even if I wanted it to...
BUT... if the limit is 600 trees per tile, then I'm pretty sure you have found the problem. I've been aiming for the max Autotrees allows for, which is 1000 trees per tile. Thanks for your help. I'll reduce the trees and report back to see if that worked.
 
Revised autogen with less than 600 objects per tile (as far as I can tell) still exhibits issues. The problem is NOT solved yet. My current autogen after revision is attached below.
 

Attachments

I can't see any problem with that autogen, I think I'd delete one object from each of the two tiles that had exactly 600. You do have some corners here and there that are sparsely covered if you're talking about the small skips. I can't imagine seeing autogen more dense than that in FS9 to be honest. Not sure I'm crazy about the grid pattern though. I used the FS9 annotator to get the agn count BTW, yes 011223003130212Su.bmp had 1856 annotations, for some reason they're doubled, click one and move it and you'll see there's another one behind it.
 
Since the problem still remains, even after reduction of the number of vegetation objects to less than 600, I'd suggest you try it in the sim yourself and see if there is anything wrong on your end as well there is on mine. I would agree that there is nothing that is obviously wrong with the autogen files as they are now constituted.
 
Oh. Well, in that case, I really don't know what's up. I'm still missing substantial blocks of autogen on the western-most two tiles.... two of the same the same three blocks that have always had trouble.
Any more suggestions would be welcome - I am out of ideas.
Thank you for your help thus far!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top