• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Avars vs Simvars

Country
us-colorado
Could someone please explain a bit on how SimConnect variables (SimVars) relate to Avars. For example, there is an Avar (A:GPS DRIVES NAV1, bool) and a SimConnect variable GPS DRIVES NAV1. Is the SimVar in this case just the Avar accessed through SimConnect? Does SimConnect maintain a 'copy' of the Avar such that the copy is automatically updated when the Avar changes?
Thx,
Al

Country
us-ohio
SimConnect is a communications interface, nothing more. The variable GPS DRIVES NAV1 is exactly the same variable being referenced by (A:GPS DRIVES NAV1). The (A) is irrelevant in the discussion as it's only something needed in any XML gauge/model code. If you are asking for the value of GPS DRIVES NAV1 via the SimConnect API, it is going to return the exact same value that an XML gauge would get by referencing (A:GPS DRIVES NAV1).

Country
us-colorado
Thanks for the response.
The reason I asked the question has to do with the Avar (A:GPS WP NEXT ID, string) and FSUIPC's ability to 'read' changes in this Avar via SimConnect.
I monitored the Avar (A:GPS WP NEXT ID, string) with a variabe test window that I use when writing XML code. After loading a simple flight plan using the P3Dv5 internal flight planner, the Avar did hold the correct next waypoint ID, and FSUIPC’s logging facility also had the correct next waypoint ID. I then turned on a GTN750 GPS in the aircraft and the next waypoint ID in the Avar in the XML test window first changed to "GARMN", and then when I loaded the GTN750 with the same flight plan as I had set up using the sim's flight planner, the Avar once again held the correct next waypoint ID. But the FSUIPC log file no longer showed the correct waypoint ID apparently because the relevant FSUIPC Offset did not get updated correctly through SimConnect. The FSUIPC Offset should update whenever SimConnect detects a change in the Avar. With the aircraft sitting on the runway I then changed the next waypoint a few times using the GTN750 and the Avar in the XML test window changed correctly each time, but FSUIPC never got updated correctly -- the log file showed "junk". So it seems the GTN750 had taken over 'control' of the Avar such that SimConnect could no longer 'read' the Avar value.
Al

Last edited:
Country
us-ohio
You didn't state whose 750 you're talking about, but I will suggest that it probably doesn't matter. They both have to hack directly into the sim to get the actual Garmin trainer to be able to send flight plan data to the sim. It is why every time there's a point release of Prepar3D that they have to provide a new update to their software for it to work with the sim again.

Country
us-colorado
They both have to hack directly into the sim to get the actual Garmin trainer to be able to send flight plan data to the sim.
Yes, I've heard that, and unfortunately likely explains what is happening.
Thanks,
Al