• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Bear Island for MSFS

christopherbritton

Resource contributor
From the maker of the acclaimed Bear Island v2 (Redux) comes Bear Island v2 Redux, Redux for MSFS...

OK.. So, I'm going to need to work on the naming structure a bit, but I can deal with that later. :)

I have started my native conversion of Bear Island for MSFS. The scenery is planned to follow the layout of the original scenery for FSX and P3D. However there will likely be some differences, depending on what I can achieve with the SDK. To start, the imagery is the same, however it has now been upscaled from 30cm to 15cm (LOD20) using AI software. All of the features handled by SODE on the other platforms will hopefully show up sooner or later. I'm hoping many of these features will appear in the first version, but as I have yet to look into the dynamic possibilities of MSFS, I am unsure.

Luckily MSFS and FSX use roughly the same XML structure for object placement, so bulk importing objects has been a breeze. I have noticed though, that object rotation is 180* off in MSFS. So, instead of adding or subtracting 180 from hundreds of individual values, I have opted to just rotate the models 180* in Model Converter X while converting the object libraries.

So far, I have placed the 15cm imagery. Of course, this still needs a bit of work done to it. I have also imported all of the buildings and vegetation, however I am currently running into a small issue with that, as I can not get the shadows on the objects to disable, which gives them a funky look. I have raised the question over at the MSFS forums, so hopefully this will be figure out soon and I can proceed.

More details coming in the (hopefully) near future!

Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.01.10 - 13.59.10.59.png

christopherbritton

Resource contributor
I have pretty much been idle on this project for over a week now due to some difficulties in getting the vegetation to look correct. After some digging, I finally concluded that Assume Vertical Normal not being utilized by MSFS was likely at fault. Trying for a week (Off and on, of course) to fix the issue in Blender, I finally gave in and threw a post up in the Model Converter X section earlier today. Arno, the master himself, had the issue solved in less than a hour. Quite frankly, I'm not sure where the development community would be without him.. Thanks again, if you're reading this, Arno!

With that issue solved, it's time to move ahead and make some more progress! At least, until the next snag in the road. But hey, you solve enough issues and at some point you will run out of issues to solve (Or, at least, obvious ones ;)).

The next step will be converting the rest of the object libraries used in the project, and getting the remaining object placement XML decompiled, compliant, and inputted into the project. Looking good already, but don't let it fool you! There is still a lot of work to be done.. :)

bear_island_florida_msfs_wip_1.jpg

bear_island_florida_msfs_wip_2.jpg

Cédrice

Resource contributor
I have pretty much been idle on this project for over a week now due to some difficulties in getting the vegetation to look correct. After some digging, I finally concluded that Assume Vertical Normal not being utilized by MSFS was likely at fault. Trying for a week (Off and on, of course) to fix the issue in Blender, I finally gave in and threw a post up in the Model Converter X section earlier today. Arno, the master himself, had the issue solved in less than a hour. Quite frankly, I'm not sure where the development community would be without him.. Thanks again, if you're reading this, Arno!
There is no Assume Vertical ? in Blender2MSFS toolkit

christopherbritton

Resource contributor
There is no Assume Vertical ? in Blender2MSFS toolkit
Not that I have seen. But Blender's layout is still messy to me, so I could have overlooked it. I opted to use Model Converter X since these models were all made in a different program and were already in MDL format. Plus its easier to maintain backwards compatibility for FSX and P3D if need be.

christopherbritton

Resource contributor
All library objects used in the Bear Island scenery have been converted and are now added to the scenery! However, this does not currently include any of the models previously handled by SODE.

As well a just those libraries used in this scenery, I am also making progress on converting all of the libraries. This will (hopefully) make the next project go a little faster. Although, next up for conversion is the rest of the vegetation models I have made over the years. And there are a lot of models.. o_O

Next step on Bear Island will be going back to the terrain. It's time to get the satellite imagery squared away and, possibly, better optimized.

bear_island_florida_msfs_wip_3.jpg