• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Bgl2xml : fs9 or fsx ?

Country
france
Hi Jon,
I get many object placement files compiled in fsx using Instant scenery.
When trying to decompile with latest release of bgl2xml, sometimes (often) file is detected as FS9 compiled bgl, sometimes as FSX compiled.
I coundn't figure out why, nor if there is a workaround to have my bgl read as FSX files.
Can you help ?
Thank you
ALain

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Not really. The program looks at the file and can generally tell what version it was compiled for. However if there are no distinguishing marks to say FSX then perhaps it gets it wrong. Also it is not really important if the file works in the selected sim version

Country
france
Thank you.
But what are you calling "distinguishing marks" ? I tried a file with a FSX <NoAutogenSuppression/> tag and compiled with fsx bglcomp, but it was seen as FS9 and decompiled with fs9 Guid format !
I don't understand

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Each section of the bgl file has an ID identified. Some of these are the same in FS9 compiled files and some are different. The decompiler looks at the IDs and based on them determines the most likely compiler. For example the library object placement code section of a FS9 bgl file has the ID 0x02. In a FSX compiled bgl file is is 0x0b. An airport header has the ID 0x03 in FS9 and 0x3C in FSX. As far as I know the header bytes are the same for FS9 and FSX so we have to search for these differences. If you are decompiling something that does not have any differences in ID then we have an evens chance of getting it wrong.

If you send me an example of the files that you have issue with then I will take a look at them - jon AT scruffyduck DOT co DOT uk