• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Blender 2.68 .X export scripts

I've read through the initial thread for these Blender scripts from 2008, but I haven't heard much about modelers using Blender for FSX purposes...So this makes me a little hesitant to use them. I really like Blender now that I have learned the basics of it, and I'd like to use it for aircraft modeling, as it is much more powerful than a lot of people think. Anyone with experience on this is encouraged to share their thoughts.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I know some people are using blender to make scenery. But I think some of them export to other formats than fsx x file and use my modelconverterx tool to convert it to mdl.

For aircraft that route won't work, since they have complex animation, virtual cockpits, etc. So I guess you need a way to assign these features in blender than. I am not sure how easy that is. Maybe there is some modeler who have tried that already.

So wait...the Blender plugins can't export ANY animations? :confused: I don't see any use for that besides basic scenery design...and even that uses some animations. I tried exporting it to 3ds Max 2012 via the FBX plugin, but even though Blender and Max both have their units set to 1 unit=1m, the model shows up in Max as a tiny speck. :( I guess I won't be able to use Blender for anything serious then, until some lucky winner comes up with an updated plugin set. :scratchch

I follow arno's method. Using MCX, but for scenery. I use blender primarily now. I do not use the scripts as they dont map to current python scripts in blender (pre 2.5 and 2.6 was a little different.) You may need to adjust your sizing method to meters. 3ds is closer to meters if i recall, and blender is capable of meter measurements. also use collada export for 3ds. there are better 3ds scripts out there but I havent used them as no 3ds here. I have no issues with sizing models between editors. 3ds and max are good DOS format files, but have limitations.

The scripts were initially released for XPLANE usage. Someone decided it was time to make some for blender 2 fs, but never supported it a couple years after release.
I am working on programming skills to make new scripts for blender to fsx. There is a thread on here somewhere I mentioned I may work on it. I was going to use python but i think C# will be more robust and capable of using the fs compilers directly if you so choose, where python would be more limited in my opinion.

For the aircraft, the scripts worked in older blender versions, I think 2.49 it was released for. But its limitations I am unaware of as I never messed with aircraft until blender 2.63, sadly not animation or part naming. If you need that version I can give you the link to it, but its way outdated and I would recommend mesh object import if you do it that way.

Sorry I was all over the road here.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of work, Kevin. :yikes: I think we would all appreciate it if you did write some Blender plugins, Gmax would be a thing of the past (obviously it already is in the mainstream world) but to have a free program that powerful would be a huge breakthrough in this community! :cool: That would also mean that we could use just one program and branch off to FSX/P3D and X-Plane. Not to mention how much easier it would be for newbies to make higher quality models for "payware purposes".

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of work, Kevin. :yikes: I think we would all appreciate it if you did write some Blender plugins, Gmax would be a thing of the past (obviously it already is in the mainstream world) but to have a free program this powerful would be a huge breakthrough in this community! :cool: That would also mean that we could use just one program and branch off to FSX/P3D and X-Plane. Not to mention how much easier it would be for newbies to make higher quality models for "payware purposes".

So far it has been. Ive read up on some theories and SDK info and learning some of the things required for Aircraft modelling as it will be needed to do this. I havent devoted much time to it just yet beyond learning what is needed as I am still working out the library and proper syntax for C# but I think within 2 months I will start writing the code, console based at first, then will append to blender with python script and a gui for direct .blend import.

Originally I wanted to do it in python, but the issue I ran into is I wanted to use the compilers directly, not rely on a mediary to convert. That is where I saw my issue. Not good enough with python to do that yet, maybe later on. C# on the other hand I was able to pick up more easily since I already knew some VB and ZBasic and some of the libraries. I discovered LINQ. Pretty cool.
I was in C# after 2 weeks where I was with Python after 3 months, if that explains a point.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I just remembered that a while ago I updated the modelcnverterx x file importer so that it can parse visibility tags and mouse rectangle definitions from the names of objects. I added this on request of somebody who was using blender to make part of the aircraft if I remember correctly.

I can probably do something similar for animations (can't remember if I did that already). So then it might work by just exporting as direct x file from blender.

Hi,

I just remembered that a while ago I updated the modelcnverterx x file importer so that it can parse visibility tags and mouse rectangle definitions from the names of objects. I added this on request of somebody who was using blender to make part of the aircraft if I remember correctly.

I can probably do something similar for animations (can't remember if I did that already). So then it might work by just exporting as direct x file from blender.

Well if thats the case... :)

Hi,

Arno, is that update included in the current MCX version on this site or does it have to be downloaded separately?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
If you grab the latest development release you have all that functionality. Let me look up the thread where we discussed it.

I didnt know mcx could read the blender x file export. I assumed it was a blender problem with the module export as I could never get mcx to open it without losing many triangles and faces.
I will try again to see. Whats the current production version? 1.3?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You best use the development release version, which will become 1.4.

Hi to all of you, gurus of computers ...
Since I started 3D modelling for FlightGear, I still use blender 2.49 (I'm quite old and dull :) ) for modelling for FSX.

The I use the scripts made by Arno ( am I right ?) to export from blender to .mdl; after having exported to .mdl, I use the Modelconverter to adjust a little bit the "materials" ... I'm quite satisfied with this procedure. You may judge the results taking a look to my model here:http://scigherafsx.blogspot.it/

But, yes, I do need to make some animations, now ! And my question is:
"There is some of you who is going to prepare some kind of a script, capable to export to .mdl, including animations, from blender 2.49 ?"

Please ... say me yes ! I'm too old to start learning GMax ! Or, even worst, to learn python to make the script by my self :)

Thanks in advance

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

That Blender FSX MDL export script is not mine :).

I think to get animations into FSX it would be better to export as X file from Blender. These in general import fine into ModelConverterX, even if there are animations present.

Hi,

That Blender FSX MDL export script is not mine :).

I think to get animations into FSX it would be better to export as X file from Blender. These in general import fine into ModelConverterX, even if there are animations present.

This sound very good ... indeed when I export from blender 2.49 to .mdl I do obtain a .x file as well ... I will try on the spot ...
Thanks a lot :)

I tried to import the .x file converted from a 2.49 blender file, with animation, but it failed :(

I followed two different ways:
Export 1) Export from 2.49 blender file (with animation) to .x file, using the script already available in the original 2.49 Blender dwnload.

Export 2) Export from 2.49 blender file (with animation) to .x and .MDL files, using the script (that I supposed from Arno)

Loading the .x file in ModelcoverterX it showed up a popup with the following error message:

An error occured during importing the selected file

È già stato aggiunto un elemento con la stessa chiave.
[Translation: An element with the same key has been added]

StackTrace:
in System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
in System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
in ASToFra.ObjectReader.XReader.ParseFS2004Animations(XCommand command)
in ASToFra.ObjectReader.XReader.PreProcessFS2004Animations(XCommand xRoot)
in ASToFra.ObjectReader.XReader.BuildObjectModel(XCommand xRoot)
in ASToFra.ObjectReader.XReader.Read(String filename)
in ASToFra.ObjectReader.AllObjectReader.Read(String fileName)
in ASToFra.ModelConverterX.MainWindow.bwImporter_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

I shut down the popup and a new one appeared with the following message:
Microsoft .NET Framework:

Le informazioni su come richiamare il debug JIT (Just-In-Time) anziché questa finestra
sono riportate in fondo al messaggio.

************** Testo dell'eccezione **************
System.NullReferenceException: Riferimento a un oggetto non impostato su un'istanza di oggetto.
in ASToFra.ModelConverterX.MainWindow.bwImporter_RunWorkerCompleted(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
in System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnRunWorkerCompleted(RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e)
in System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.AsyncOperationCompleted(Object arg)

************** Assembly caricati **************
mscorlib
Versione assembly: 2.0.0.0
Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.5472 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Launcher_ModelConverterX
Versione assembly: 1.0.0.0
Versione Win32: 1.3.0.0
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/ModelConverterX.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
ModelConverterX
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/ModelConverterX.DLL
Interfaces
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/Interfaces.DLL
ObjectModel3D
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/ObjectModel3D.DLL
ObjectWriter
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/ObjectWriter.DLL
ObjectReader
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/ObjectReader.DLL
EventLog
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/EventLog.DLL
ObjectRenderer
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/ObjectRenderer.DLL
GRV11DLL
Versione Win32: 1.0.0.0
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/GRV11DLL.DLL
ParticleEffects
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/ParticleEffects.DLL
System.Configuration
Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
mscorlib.resources
Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.5472 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
Versione Win32: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
Base di codice: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_it_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll
Utils
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/Utils.DLL
TextureObject
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/TextureObject.DLL
TextureLoader
Base di codice: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ModelCoverter/TextureLoader.DLL

************** Debug JIT **************
Per attivare il debug JIT, è necessario impostare il valore
jitDebugging nella sezione system.windows.forms del file di configurazione
dell'applicazione o del computer (machine.config).
L'applicazione inoltre deve essere compilata con il debug
attivato.

Ad esempio:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Quando il debug JIT è attivato, tutte le eccezioni non gestite
vengono inviate al debugger JIT registrato nel computer,
anziché essere gestite da questa finestra di dialogo.

Export 2)
ModelconverterX import the .x file and the model show up correctly ... but I don't see any animation in the Animation Editor box :(

Any suggestion welcome ... thanks in advance

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

Could you try the latest development release? It seems you are using version 1.3 now. The bug might have been solved already.

Send from my phone using Tapatalk, so excuse the short sentences and possible typos

Thanks a lot for your patience, Arno ... but it doesn't work anyhow !

I tried the last release of ModelConverterX:

Exporting from Blender (2.49) to .x with the exporter to FSxmodel (which generates a .x file and a .mdl file) and importing it in ModelConverterX I don't see any animation: this sounds obvious since the blender to FSXModel do not export the animations.

Exporting from blender(2.49) to .x with the scrpit already included in Blender 2.49, the animation are included in the export, the part relevant to the animation being:

AnimationSet AnimationSet0 {
Animation {
{ Cube }
AnimationKey {
4;
2;
1;16;1.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,1.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,1.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,1.000000;;,
100;16;1.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,1.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,1.000000,0.000000,20.000000,0.000000,0.000000,1.000000;;;
}
}
} // End of Animation Set

... but importing the .x file in ModelConverterX I get the warning:

"XReader Warning Unsupported animation type 4"

:banghead: