• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Blender2MSFS support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
germany
After adding the object you have to "build project" in the inspector and after that save and reopen the project in the dev tools to see your new objects.
I did it exactly like you said.. nothing :( or do i need to restart the game after i build the project?

Country
unitedstates
I did it exactly like you said.. nothing :( or do i need to restart the game after i build the project?
You do not need to restart the game. Check the console for errors. I strongly recommend clearing the console before building because it is easier to read. The console will list a line that says how many assets were compiled, failed and skipped near the end of the build (not at my computer so I may have the specific checks listed) but the point is if anything failed or skipped look deeper into the console for the problems. For example, filter for your model names to see if there are any errors.

It does take some experimenting to get comfortable with the workflow. After a few failed attempts, I started exporting a cube with a simple texture, then one with more complex textures, then a more complex model, etc. I have had cases where models compiled fine but still do not show up in MSFS which I suspect is an issue with the geometry of the model.

Country
unitedstates
i tried it so many times and it doesnt work.. i need to select it in the top right corner or simply by clicking on the objekt, right? i dont know whats wrong?! now the exported file is only the xml... not even the 3d obj data anymore :( i did all steps exactly like the youtube videos said..
It should work be either selecting the object by clicking on it in the 3D window, or selecting in the upper right hierarchy window. Not sure if that is what's going on in your case, but everytime my export fails to make a .bin file its because my object wasnt selected. Are you in object mode (as opposed to edit mode)? All of my successful exports have been while in object mode with my intended object selected. Beyond that I'd need more information for your case. Sorry you're having an issue :(

Country
russia
After building the package in the simulator, I get this message.
[Skala_primitive[0]] Primitive defines "TANGENT" data, but we do not currently support importing tangents. The data is ignored.

What do I need to do with the model to fix the error?

Country
unitedstates
After building the package in the simulator, I get this message.
[Skala_primitive[0]] Primitive defines "TANGENT" data, but we do not currently support importing tangents. The data is ignored.

What do I need to do with the model to fix the error?
Uncheck the tangents box when exporting from Blender.

Last edited:
Country
germany
Thank you all for the quick replies :) :)

so.. today i created a new simple blender model for testing with a simple png texture (texture name for testing: instagramlogo.png)
I deleted the test cube with texture out of the modelLib and put the new model in.

it did not show up in the game (..as usual :D)

..BUT the deleted test-cube showed up in the game and worked fine :D
I am so confused ?!
But i made a screenshot from the console after building package:

it says it 1 failed :confused: i think that could be my new model..

1602418603994.png

EDIT: i think my problem was, that i put the builded scenery directly in the community folder.. i deleted it so the sim can load the default airport. Now it´s all working fine :)
thanks for the help!! ^^

Last edited:
Country
france
Hi !
First, thanks a lot for this extremely useful addon :)
Am I missing something ? Cause in Blender, it seams I can't see the Ambiant Occlusion part of the Metallic texture. Roughness (all over) and Metal (the square in the center) channels are there but no AO, which renders correctly once the object is in the sim !

1602500309509.png

Country
belgium
And I have 2 problems again... after saving the project. Witch file I have to open ?
And if I save the project i mean finished I don't get BGL files but I have ArenaSHP.dbf, ArenaSHP.shp, ArenaSHP.shx, ArenaSHP.xml, ArenaSNR.xml in the scene folder...

Country
austria
And if I save the project i mean finished I don't get BGL files but I have ArenaSHP.dbf, ArenaSHP.shp, ArenaSHP.shx, ArenaSHP.xml, ArenaSNR.xml in the scene folder...

After saving you have to build the package in the inspector.

Country
unitedstates
... Apologies ahead of time if someone has pointed this out already (I havent scanned) through every page of this thread (although a search came up without finding what I found).

I was experimenting with detail maps yesterday and kept getting a build error when compiling in MSFS (I dont have the exact text handy, but I know it was mentioned in an earlier post by someone). To troubleshoot, I went into the SDK Samples directory and found a couple of examples of detail maps in their SampleMaterials folder and noticed that they weren't using the Khronos extensions.

When I changed the following sections from the .gltf file created from Blender using Notepad++:

(deleted the following lines)

"extensionsRequired" : {
"KHR_texture_transform"
}

and from the material maps themselves...

(Before)

"ASOBO_material_detail_map" : {
"detailColorTexture" : {
"extensions" : {
"KHR_texture_transform" : {
"offset" : [
]
}
},
"index" : 0,
"texCoord" : 0
},
"UVScale" : 20,
"UVOffset" : [
]
"blendThreshold" : 0.10000000148
}

(After)

"ASOBO_material_detail_map" : {
"detailColorTexture" : {
"index" : 0,
"texCoord" : 0
},
"UVScale" : 20,
"UVOffset" : [
]
"blendThreshold" : 0.10000000148
}

Suddenly everything seemed to work. If the developer has some insight - have I not installed something properly (do Khronos extensions need to be linked somehow?) or is this an error in the exporter?

Thanks so much!

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
That's a great find! It must be an extension that the Khronos Exporter automatically adds when it finds uv transforms. There's probably a switch somewhere that I can flick to remove that extension. I'll start digging! Thanks for this!

Country
finland
Hi! I was wondering, if it is possible to use emissive textures in glass materials?
I don't see the option for day/night cycle here:
glass material.JPG

Country
unitedstates
That's a great find! It must be an extension that the Khronos Exporter automatically adds when it finds uv transforms. There's probably a switch somewhere that I can flick to remove that extension. I'll start digging! Thanks for this!
I think I just discovered something else. Another find from SampleMaterial/modellib

I added "ASOBO_material_blend_gbuffer" to the list of extensionsUsed and it looks like the detailAlbedo and detailRoughAO are doing the right thing now. Seeing it now, I believe I only really had the detailNormal map working last night

Country
netherlands
Hi all, thanks for having this great community! Im still a noob at this but I managed to get scenery from google decoder (reddit) app in to blender. Cut out the village i live in and exported with Blender2MSFS export function. Build and it works only the export looks like the following:

1602584850520.png

When I directly import the tile from the google decoder app (all small gltf files) and let that compile by MSFS I dont have this effect.... Want to create some magnificent stuff for everyone but this is holding me back :(

Country
canada
@RomanDesign you can bake multiple materials into one texture/material like you want to do in blender.

It is a little bit work to do i recommend you a video tutorial because of the many steps to do.

I think this will help you for this process
I tried that very same tutorial. It didn't work for me - maybe because my UV maps were scaled way up so the textures would look good up to scale, or something else, I'm not sure. My baking was just completely messed up. Besides, this only shows the Albedo textures, but my materials have a composite and a normal texture, and how to bake it all in is a mistery. I found no tutorials on how to bake in a full PBR material mix.

Country
austria
if you want to bake the maps in blender you have to bake each texture individually and combine the msfs metallic texture after that process.

the problem is that you can bake everything except the raw metallic map. in the bake type settings in blender you dont find this option.

2020-10-13 16_59_10-Microsoft Store.png

Country
canada
Can someone please point me to a tutorial or give a detailed walk-through on how to do an animated flag? I'm a noob in Blender, but got the basics. I managed to create a flag and use cloth to make it weave in the wind. However I'm stuck:
  1. How to create an actual animation in Blender for the cloth? Clicking "I" and selecting add keyframe doesn't do anything at all. I don't see any keyframes crated in the timeline. I see nothing that looks like an animation. But playback within Blender works. If I export to MSFS I get a static flag.
  2. How to export animation to MSFS? I see only one checkbox for animation "current frame" which is not what I need obviously. It gets the static flag from that frame info MSFS.
  3. How to loop the animation so it looks seamless?
  4. How to make the flag dependent on the wind direction, if it is at all possible?

Country
france
Hello vitus.

I discovered the same problem than VFXSimmer yesterday in my model. After removing detail map, the compiler works fine.
So the problem is not isolated.

Thanks in advance to find a solution.

Country
france
For baking I woild recommend using Principled-baker plugin which can compute all-in-one click, see here :

Status
Not open for further replies.