• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Bump texture problem

Messages
1,749
Country
unitedstates
I recently have been using textures for fsx game packs. Today i added a bump texture!

I made a mistake some how!
Here is what i did!

I created a bmp bump and saved a psd. put that in project folder.
Loaded the bmp in DXTBMP editor and created an alpha channel as the same bmp bump and saved as DXT3. Placed this in game texture folder.

When I moved the view around the ends of the wings show inverse...Plus the seagle shit is grey and not white.

Any help would be appreciated!

1966_1.bmp


1966_2.bmp


DG,:eek:
 
Last edited:
Ok i got the method down....
In low light or day looks great.
In the sunset it can get very noticeable.

Is this ok? I lowered the spectacular to 20% was 32% and very bright!!!
Bump is 32%.

I was thinking I need to clean up my texture so theres no bump between rivet's.
I will lower the depth!


1966_3.bmp


DG:eek:
 
Last edited:
Making Bump textures using gimp

Ok I used a lower depth. Looks Awsome!


I found a few tutorials that use different methods.


Your texture quality and depth will effect the outcome.

1966_4.bmp


DG:eek:
 
Last edited:
Does this create an FSX "Blue" bumpmap?

Ideally the Red Channel will be moved into alpha, then filled with BLACK
The Green is Inverted
The Blue is Filled with 255 (white)

The overall effect is only information in the Green and Alpha channels, the other channels blank. Otherwise you will get odd shader effects.

Can you post a pic of your bump map here?
 
I was just going to ask the same thing. The Green channel may or may not need to be inverted, depending on whether you need innies or outies*... ;)

* think: bellybuttons... or, bumps vs divots... either way works! :D
 
I still see the Red and Blue channel's data mixed in with the Green channel...
 
Well the Wiki did say to move the red and change some colors.
But I can't seem to figure those steps out.
But according to another tutorial I don't change any colors.

So i need help on what I can do to fix my tutorial i made.

Maybe you can point me to a better tutorial.

DG:eek:
 
Last edited:
If you have Photoshop, open the Channels tab on the right side menu. You can select all (Crtl-A) in the Red Channel, cut (Ctrl-X) the contents, Create a blank Alpha channel, then paste (Ctrl-V) what was in the Red channel into the new Alpha channel.

Use the pencil tool with a very large brush to paint the Red channel pure black (0,0,0) and the Blue channel pure white (255,255,255).

If you don't have Photoshop, you'll have to adapt the above to your program's abilities.
 
OR you save your bump map as .psd and put a batch file with the following content, together with Imagetool.exe (from the SDK) into the folder where that .psd is located.

Code:
@echo on
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -RedInAlpha -dds -nodither *.psd
pause

BAT-file creation:
Right click into folder -> "New" -> "Text Document" -> Paste code from above into text document -> Save -> Then rename the file to whatever you like, but with a ".bat" suffix

A double click will run it et voilà, a FSX compilant bump map in .psd format.
 
Thanks!

OK I will try both methods today! Then i will post a picture once it's right.

Thanks you very much!

DG:eek:
 
Last edited:
Problem

test7.bmp


Method working perfect! Should I lower the depth more? and clean up the texture!


DG:eek:
 
Last edited:
Easy steps to bump textures

Thanks for all the help Bill and Heretic! Here is a simple method for creating bump textures!!!:duck:

SETUP
1. Download Gimp http://www.gimp.org/
2. Download plugin for gimp called normalmap. http://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/downloads/list
3. Place the exe to this location... C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins
,,,,,,,,Place the other 3 files here... C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin
4. Get the image tool from your fsx sdk located here: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK

-------

MAKE BUMP TEXTURE
1. Open Gimp and drag in a texture. (size of texture 2048,1024,512.....
2. Last click .....Filters / Map / BumpMap.....I use invert depth to 4
3. Last click .....Filters / Map / NormalMap.....I scale to 0.6
4. Save as PSD file.
5. Now place the image tool with the PSD file or files.
6. .........Create a notepad and paste this text inside: @echo on
imagetool -batch -nogui -nomip -dxt5 -RedInAlpha -dds -nodither *.psd
pause
.............Click save as and type (bump.bat) as name. Then change save as type to all files. Last change the encoding to UTF-8.
.............Now click save. You will notice it worked when you see the file looks like a bat file and not a notepad.
7. Double click the bat file and a dos window opens. Click enter to finish!
now all your bump files are ready and are DDS files.


Finished! Adding black dots at every rivet will make sure the rivits are the same direction and stand out in game.

test10.bmp

test9.bmp


DG:eek:
 
Last edited:
Nice. You might wish to lower the scale to around 0.6 or thereabouts... :D
 
Thanks

Thanks for helping so much!

Actually i did 0.5! If i swing the plane around the rivet's are less noticeable. So this pic shows the max bump detail.

So is this ok?

I just updated the game pic above...my texture was not lined up. Should look good now!

DG:eek:
 
Last edited:
Awsome

Thanks Bill,
I was waiting for that. Perfect!

I just updated the instructions above and used your 0.6.
I also put invert back. The middle section of that pic is inverted.
I will post a new pic here!
test13.bmp


DG:eek:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top