• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Bump Texture Problem

Messages
42
Country
unitedstates
Hey guys,

I'm having some problems creating bump maps. I run my texture through the Nvidia bump map tool and all goes well until I get into the simulator and find these random specks on the bump map.

BumpProblem.jpg


I went back to the original texture and didn't find any such specks until I run it through the bump map tool, they appear after that step.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to prevent this? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
 
On occasion, I've had to manually "paint" the Green channel with pure white in order to eliminate some residual "specks" that showed up...

It's worth double-checking the Red channel to make sure that it is entirely "pure black" as well.
 
You're a star Bill, didn't think of that. Will let him know when he's back from work.
 
The normal map plugin for GIMP doesn't do this, so it *might* be a plan B for you guys.


P.S: Your 737 looks great, Enigma guys. ;)
 
Hey guys,

I have tried painting the red channel black and blue channel white as outlined in the Wiki article but the problem seems to be in the green channel. I even went back and double checked all of my textures and converted one to a bump map, didn't have anything resembling these specks on it until I ran it through the filter tool. I had several contrast layers enabled above it to watch the transition and make sure they weren't there before the tool was run. It's doing something to the green channel when the texture is put through the filter tool and I tried painting it a solid white to see what would happen and it came up with something that wasn't compatible with the sim.

Problem with GIMP is it doesn't support folders in the PSD file which our base work is heavily dependent on for organization.
 
Try keeping the bump map in .psd format and run it through Imagetool afterwards instead of directly exporting it as .dds from Photoshop.
See if this solves your problem.

I don't trust those DDS exporting tools for PS or GIMP, especially when it comes to bump maps. I always take the diversion through Imagetool to ensure that I get a 10000% FSX compilant texture.
 
Hey guys,

Got the problem sorted. Jordi found some issues that I missed and we got it sorted now. I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. :)
 
The specks were on the original file. Not entirely sure how they got there, but turning up the contrast wasn't enough to see them. Jordi bumped up the levels and curves and found them hiding.
 
Back
Top