• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can't create FSX .mdl file

Messages
28
Country
unitedkingdom
Hi,

Can someone please help me out?

What I have done so far is make a basic Scenery object (Shed) with scetchup that I want to use with Instant Scenery to place in FSX.

I exported the model and loaded it into ModelConverterX with no error messages

Used the tools to change the textures to.dds and saved them in the object textures folder that scetchup made and exported.

I then tried to save the model as a FSX .mdl file; however Model ConverterX did make the .mdl but reported numerous errors.

I have uploaded the files to see if anyone can show me where I went wrong.

Regards

DEEGE.
 

Attachments

From what I read when I import your mdl is that you have not changed the jpg into dds and that is why it does not show up.
 
Hi, robystar
Thanks for the swift reply.
I have just repeated the attempt to make the. mdl having made sure the (2)textures are .dds.
The only thing I am not sure of is if the scetchup colours that I used are .jpg.If so how can they be changed.
Also what folder should the textures be in when creating the .mdl
Regards,
DEEGE
 
I suppose that this shed is part of an airport scenery. And you put this in an addon folder and called it something. In this something folder, you have a subfolder called scenery and texture, I guess?
Well, you export your mdl as a scenery which makes your model a bgl and you make sure that your textures are in the texture subfolder.
The only thing you then have to do is activate this addon something folder in your FSX settings scenery library.
As for the colors, there should not be any problem. They are just colors and nothing else.
However, what strikes me, is that when I open your mdl, MCX says it is a NOT supported format! You must have done something rather unchristian there:).
So, load the dae file once more in MCX, check if the model does load the textures correctly, then replace them with the ones you have in your texture subfolder of the something folder or let MCX do it for you by using the material editor.
Then export as a scenery to create a bgl the way I explained before.
 
I have done all you suggested in your last email but still not able to load scenery into FSX.

Taking on board what you said about the .mdl.

If MCX uses the FSX SDK tools does the version installed matter.

And also the Direct X version.

I have had no problems with any other aspect of FSX when loading and using scenery addons...

I suspect because MCX does not produce an “error free” file in the first place that that is where the problem lies.

Any addition help welcome.

Regards

DEEGE
 
Hi,

Just tried compiling your DAE to an FSX MDL file and it all worked just fine. Perhaps you have your decimal separator set to the comma instead of the period in Windows Regional Settings? Most MS compilers need this set to the period.

Hope this helps,
 
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I changed decimal separator to period as you suggest. it was at comma.

However the compile still does not work.

If you imported the .dae file I uploaded into your MCX and it worked with no errors then my method may be to blame.

I am running FSX Acceleration on Windows XP.

I assume my SDK tools are all working because ADE 9X needs them and that works fine.

I am using the latest download for MCX.

To try to compile the model for FSX I did the following,

Imported the .dae file into MCX.

Changed the textures to .dds

Saved the modified textures in Addon Scenery/ Textures.

Tried to export to .mdl file

The process ran and produced the .mdl but with many errors.

Examining the .mdl produced with a file viewer a”file not supported “ error appears.

If that method sounds OK I wonder if it is any different to what you did.

Or if there are any MCX settings ect. you think may be wrong.


Regards

DEEGE
 
No, it sounds OK to me; I did the same thing (although I didn't bother modifying the textures, since that shouldn't be the problem). Your MDL file was 0 KB, mine is 5 KB.

Here is the file I converted, it has NOT been tested in FSX.
 

Attachments

Can you copy and paste the errors you are getting? That might help. Also, you should post this in the MCX forum where Arno may be able to help you get your compiling working.
 
Back
Top