• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Change default aircraft flight dynamic

Hi

Does anybody knows how to edit default cessna 172 / 152 flight dynamics as there was in aicraft.cfg / air file ?

I just needs to reduce control response and increase pitch moment due to flaps / engine

Ps.
Do you know how to set attitude indicator or glideslope fail ?

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
You can try this.
Find Official/OneStore/asobo-aircraft-c172sp-as100/SimObjects/airplanes/Asobo_C172sp_C172sp_AS1000.
Make a copy of flight_model.cfg , rename it back-up_flight_model.cfg and save it in the same directory.
Open flight_model.cfg with something simple like Notepad.
about half way through is a section called [AERODYNAMICS]
find pitch_moment_delta_elevator =. Currently it is -3.181. You could arbitrarily make it say -2.0.
Save the file, reload the airplane and note any difference, it should be somewhat less responsive in pitch
BTW I find the controls in all the airplanes I have flown are way too sensitive.
The pitch_moment_flaps coefficient is about 6 lines further down, You could increase that.
There is no coefficient for pitch moment due to engine. Increasing power will cause a nose up change but only because the airspeed increases.

Any time you make a change, note the original value, what you changed it to and what happened. If you do not do this you can get very confused in a very short time.
Good luck and let's know how you got on.
Roy

Last edited:
You can try this.
Find Official/OneStore/asobo-aircraft-c172sp-as100/SimObjects/airplanes/Asobo_C172sp_C172sp_AS1000.
Make a copy of flight_model.cfg , rename it back-up_flight_model.cfg and save it in the same directory.
Open flight_model.cfg with something simple like Notepad.
about half way through is a section called [AERODYNAMICS]
find pitch_moment_delta_elevator =. Currently it is -3.181. You could arbitrarily make it say -2.0.
Save the file, reload the airplane and note any difference, it should be somewhat less responsive in pitch
BTW I find the controls in all the airplanes I have flown are way too sensitive.
The pitch_moment_flaps coefficient is about 6 lines further down, You could increase that.
There is no coefficient for pitch moment due to engine. Increasing power will cause a nose up change but only because the airspeed increases.

Any time you make a change, note the original value, what you changed it to and what happened. If you do not do this you can get very confused in a very short time.
Good luck and let's know how you got on.
Roy

THANKS

its work

but the changes take effect just after complete simulator restart

I tried develop mode and reload aircraft
I tried go back and select airport and aircraft again

only quit to desktop and open simulator works

any ideas ?

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
No ideas I'm afraid, but this sim does not seem to be set up to help developers. Maybe they will change that sometime in the future.
Roy

Yves_G

Resource contributor
Country
switzerland
You can reload the aircraft while the sim is running in the Developer Mode (first set it to ON under GENERAL -> DEVELOPERS). Back in the normal flight there appears a new menu line. Under[DevMode] I had to set a new project. Under Tools the Aircraft Editor became available then. Now you can make changes to all the aircraft or engine .cfg files and afterwards click Resync under File in the Aircraft Editor window. The aircraft gets reloaded even in the middle of a flight.

There are also a lot of windows under Debug that show current aircraft data (aerodynamic coefficents, engine, autopilot PIDs etc.) and the visual forces that act at the plane (as seen in early Asobo videos).

The SDK (Help menu) has some description about the Modern and Legacy flight models.

[FLIGHT_TUNING] and [AIRPLANE_GEOMETRY] affect both models. The effectiveness parameters and elasticity tables can be tuned to reduce the sensitivity of the surface controls.
e.g. elevator_effectiveness = 0.6
e.g. elevator_elasticity_table = 0:1, 12:1, 25:0.66, 50:0.5, 75:0.33 (ex Rec 517, dynamic pressure : scaling on max deflection)

These are just some quick first impressions I found after some hours of testing (I was not Alpha/Beta tester).

Yves

Attachments

• MSFS_Dev.jpg
    MSFS_Dev.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 779
Last edited:
Thanks

I noticed some aircraft does not have aircraft.cfg and flight_model.cfg like c152aerobat. Those cfg file include only in c152 folder.

I thought c152aero linked to the cfg files of c152... but none

May be to change c152aero i needs to copy cfg files from normal 152 folder to 152aero ?

Country
us-ohio
If you don't see an aircraft.cfg... the configuration of the aircraft is protected.

so can I meke a copy of regular 172 to make an aerodynmic changes ?

I saw there are extra 3 files of .fsarchive
Like cfg.fsarchive
Maybe the aircraft.cfg is there
But i dont know how to open those files

Last edited:
Country
canada
I'm trying to get a basic sailplane FM working in-game. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not but I can't seem to get things working without an engine. In the cfg file there is a line for engine type, with one of the entires being "2=none" just like FSX. Maybe they haven't gotten that part working yet.

Also a simple tip. If you delete files from the main install folder the game will just redownload them the next time you launch the game. So if you really mess up some aircraft folder by editing, or can't remember exactly which file was changed, then just delete the whole folder. It'll be around a 3-400mb download the next time you start the game.

Country
ca-ontario
The .fsarchive files have been cracked already. So, it won't be long until they're in wide circulation...
Any more info on this? I can't find a thing other then your post. The Cessna Longitude is in serious need of some tweaking.

Country
canada
Well... I can't really post the files here, or even link to them — I don't think the admins would approve.
All I can tell you is to look in the darker corners of the Internet... ;)
And, just as proof that I'm not bullshitting, here's a Shock Ultra as a "floatplane". (Can't do that without the configs!)

Last edited:
Country
australia
Well as long as you're not distributing any derivative works and are using this as a learning tool there's no issue. :) Digging into how the sausage is made is a great way to learn FS Dev.

Country
us-ohio
However, distributing files of aircraft that are not freely available (they are packaged, encrypted, etc) is not ok. Even derivative works off said files is not acceptable for distribution.

Country
australia
However, distributing files of aircraft that are not freely available (they are packaged, encrypted, etc) is not ok. Even derivative works off said files is not acceptable for distribution.
I think that's exactly what I just said

Country
unitedstates
C172  bank Heading-2.png

GA AP issue (Heading Mode)

Anyone any suggestion what might be the correct parameter(s) to change, to get the Plane's Bank (red) to return to level at the end of a turn, in a less damped mode, ie More like the yellow profile.

The issue, as in this example of a 360 deg turn, is that the bank starts reducing when there is still about 180 degrees still left in the turn, and so take for ever to level out during that last 180 degrees of the turn.

On entering the bank, full bank is achieved in about 5 seconds, during the 1st 30 degrees of the turn, so I would like the bank to start decreasing abut the same (or just a little more) before the end of the turn.

ie stay in the full bank till it starts coming out of the bank at approx the same rate it went into the bank (or maybe 1/2 that rate)

It the moment (red line) it starts reducing the bank SLOWLY when there is still about 70 degress left in the turn, which makes for a really slow and damped return to level flight.

The way I see it, when the error is calculated, it needs to be Limited, so it is not too big for a desired large heading swing, and then the gain increased, ?
After that I & D can be added, to get the a fater, optimun , non overshooting respones, if needed, with a little extra gain

Note The little hump HUMP in the Bank at about time 30 seconds, is because I was not turning the heading bug far enough in advance of the current heading, and hence the bank started to prematurely start reducing !!

This SLUGGISH end of heading turn response, seems to have been introduced in the last update (late Nov 2020), at which time the AP Pitch instability were nicely corrected (maybe a little to ideally), but the heading response went down the tube.