• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Changing the ICAO code of an Airport.

Country
us-california
So forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how can I change the ICAO code of an airport with ADE? I can find where to change the name of the airport but not the code. The airport I am editing has a different code in P3D then what's used IRL.

Thanks.

Country
newzealand
no such thing as a dumb question :)
I don't have P3D, and its been a long time since i did this in FSX, but i "Think" i used "Raw Data View" to do it
someone else my know another way...........

Country
us-california
no such thing as a dumb question :)
I don't have P3D, and its been a long time since i did this in FSX, but i "Think" i used "Raw Data View" to do it
someone else my know another way...........
Haha, thanks. I guess it would have been better to say forgive me if it easy to find the answer to this question. Do you know how to find the "Raw Data View"? I looked in the view menu as well as some other places in ADE but did not see it.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Do you know how to find the "Raw Data View"? I looked in the view menu as well as some other places in ADE but did not see it.

This needs a ProKey. ProKeys are now freely available Go to the Downloads page of www.scruffyducksoftware.com and look for the ProKey section

1639567932952.png

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Note that once you change the ICAO code, the original default airport will now appear (it is no longer suppressed). You will need to remove everything from that ICAO code's default airport and compile that as an ADE airport as well.

Country
us-california
Note that once you change the ICAO code, the original default airport will now appear (it is no longer suppressed). You will need to remove everything from that ICAO code's default airport and compile that as an ADE airport as well.
So basically I just load the stock airport which has the old code and delete everything and then compile it and add it to P3D right?

Country
newzealand
This is how I changed FAJS to FAOR in FSX, so P3D maybe the same,
You need to create 2 airports, one the original airport with everything removed (but not the Properties cross-hair) see attached, if any runways have an ILS then you need to orphan those,
save and compile, you should get a ALT bgl which goes in the World/Scenery folder, once again this is where it goes in FSX, not sure where in P3D it will be
then open another airport where you want to change the name and ICAO, this i where you use Tools/Raw Data View, click on the Airport and find "Misc" to make the changes, then save and compile, you should also get another ALT bgl that goes in the same folder with the other one, your normal compiled airport bgl's go in the usual flight sim folder....................
this also come with a Warning, any changes you make using "Raw Data View' cannot be undone using the undo selection, this is for those that already have a work in progress airport, you will have to start from scratch again, make a backup first
be careful what you do in RDV, and i hope i have explained it so you are able to do this...........

Attachments

• FAJS.JPG
    FAJS.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 120
Country
us-california
This is how I changed FAJS to FAOR in FSX, so P3D maybe the same,
You need to create 2 airports, one the original airport with everything removed (but not the Properties cross-hair) see attached, if any runways have an ILS then you need to orphan those,
save and compile, you should get a ALT bgl which goes in the World/Scenery folder, once again this is where it goes in FSX, not sure where in P3D it will be
then open another airport where you want to change the name and ICAO, this i where you use Tools/Raw Data View, click on the Airport and find "Misc" to make the changes, then save and compile, you should also get another ALT bgl that goes in the same folder with the other one, your normal compiled airport bgl's go in the usual flight sim folder....................
this also come with a Warning, any changes you make using "Raw Data View' cannot be undone using the undo selection, this is for those that already have a work in progress airport, you will have to start from scratch again, make a backup first
be careful what you do in RDV, and i hope i have explained it so you are able to do this...........
Thanks. I think I understand what you mean. At the moment, I have 2 versions of the airport, which I haven't compiled yet. One with the old ICAO that P3D with everything removed except for the properties cross-hair, and the version which I am working on where I used the "Raw Data View" to change the ICAO code to the new one. I know how to add the airport into P3D so hopefully based on what you said plus what the other person said I can get it to work.

Thanks Again.

Country
newzealand
Try compiling them and place them in the sim before you carry out any more work on the new (ICAO) version
that way this will tell you how both versions appear in the sim...................hopefully they will appear as designed, especially the version with the changed ICAO

Country
us-california
Try compiling them and place them in the sim before you carry out any more work on the new (ICAO) version
that way this will tell you how both versions appear in the sim...................hopefully they will appear as designed, especially the version with the changed ICAO
Wow, I didn't think it would be that easy, but I compiled the airports and loaded them into the sim, and from what I can tell it worked. I was able to search the new ICAO code in P3D and found the airport and when I loaded it up the changes I made were there.

Thanks a bunch....

Country
newzealand
Well done :) nice too know it worked for you, now you know how to use RDV should you need to use it again
but always make a backup copy first before using RDV, if you make a mistake you can revert back to the original