• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Correct scenery folder structure

Country
hongkong
I’ve looked through a number of SDK samples, as well as some tutorials/guides, and I’m still a little confused about the correct folder structure.

I’ve see all of the following used:
\scenery
\scenery\global\scenery
\scenery\world\scenery

What are the differences between these, and when would/should I use each?

Also, I’ve seen some with “/“ and some with “\”. Again, what is the significance of this?

There are some examples burried in the SDK docs but I haven’t been able to find enough to get it clear in my head.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Norman,

I asked about the / \ before and it seems that they are interchangeable. Personally, I've stuck with the Windows notation, which is the \

As for the folder structure for the exported package, thats not where you work from and should be left as per the SDK (otherwise you end up making life difficult for yourself.

The green area is the project folder. Before you compile (build) anything, it contains "PackageDefinitions" and "PackageSources". PackageDefinitions (in Blue) once set up, you can just leave.

PackageSources (in Red) is the important area. The sub folders will depend on what components you add to your package. I the example below I have a CGL folder (because I've added aerial imagery), ModelLib (this contains a sub folder for each model I've added and a texture folder which contains all of the textures for all of my models) and finally the "scene" folder. This will contain the airport and scenery files which are used to build the project.

Once built, the built project will appear in the packages folder. You can then copy this to your community directory and you're good to go.

There will also be a temporary working area for the build process created in a folder called _PackageInt. The is the working folder for the build process. I say its temporary, but it isn't automatically deleted at the end of a build, but you can delete it safely in between builds.

1599142211114.png

Country
hongkong
That helps a lot, thanks.

So far, I have a scenery source, and an aerial image source. The output of the image is rather straight forward “\CGL“

But I’m confused with the SDK explanation of the scenery (bgl files) output folder
”scenery\<folder>\scenery”. What should I input as “folder”? Given this will be placed in a package, what is the purpose of having two extra levels to the file structure, rather than just “\scenery”

Country
unitedkingdom
The word <folder> will be (in most cases for a full package) both Global and World.

.\scenery\global\scenery\ will contain a texture folder for your textures, and a modellib.bgl, the latter file will include all the models in your project wrapped up in a single file.

.\scenery\world\scenery\ will contain a BGL for your airport and another BGL for your poly's

Country
germany
The word <folder> will be (in most cases for a full package) both Global and World.

.\scenery\global\scenery\ will contain a texture folder for your textures, and a modellib.bgl, the latter file will include all the models in your project wrapped up in a single file.

.\scenery\world\scenery\ will contain a BGL for your airport and another BGL for your poly's
Could I ask another question about the folder structure and how the airport files are set up? I´m stuck at the point where I added my custom objects to an exisiting airport, clicked on "Save Scenery" and I was able to save the exclude polygons as a .shp file like in your screenshot and I got an additional xml file for my scenery objects that I named objects.xml. But what do I have to do now to get my airport to show up in the normal simulator mode (not dev mode). I copied the contents of the packages folder in the community folder but the airport doesn´t show. I also noticed that I don´t get any other bgl files besides the modelLib.bgl in the scenery\global\scenery folder; while the ORBX airports I installed also have bgl files in the scenery\world\scenery folder, but they don´t have any .xml or .shp files anymore. Do I have to compile the shp and xml files somehow to get another bgl file to put in the scenery\world\scenery folder?

Thanks, Fabian

Country
unitedkingdom
Could I ask another question about the folder structure and how the airport files are set up? I´m stuck at the point where I added my custom objects to an exisiting airport, clicked on "Save Scenery" and I was able to save the exclude polygons as a .shp file like in your screenshot and I got an additional xml file for my scenery objects that I named objects.xml. But what do I have to do now to get my airport to show up in the normal simulator mode (not dev mode). I copied the contents of the packages folder in the community folder but the airport doesn´t show. I also noticed that I don´t get any other bgl files besides the modelLib.bgl in the scenery\global\scenery folder; while the ORBX airports I installed also have bgl files in the scenery\world\scenery folder, but they don´t have any .xml or .shp files anymore. Do I have to compile the shp and xml files somehow to get another bgl file to put in the scenery\world\scenery folder?

Thanks, Fabian

Hi Fabian,

The folder structure in PackageSources is only used to compile the project. This is the source information that the compiler (Build Button) uses to build an output for the sim. You do not put this data into the comunity folder, it is the source.

You should see something similar to the folder structure below. The folder in green is the one that needs to be copied to the community folder. This contains the compiled output from the build process. (you may not have the CGL folder.) In the example below, you would copy the "dozerbug-egvw" folder to the community folder. Hope that makes sense.

1599261488896.png

Country
germany
Hi Fabian,

The folder structure in PackageSources is only used to compile the project. This is the source information that the compiler (Build Button) uses to build an output for the sim. You do not put this data into the comunity folder, it is the source.

You should see something similar to the folder structure below. The folder in green is the one that needs to be copied to the community folder. This contains the compiled output from the build process. (you may not have the CGL folder.) In the example below, you would copy the "dozerbug-egvw" folder to the community folder. Hope that makes sense.

View attachment 61558
Yes but no how do I compile the objects and shape files into a bgl? When I put the shp and xml files into the folder nothing happens my objects don't show up and the excludes don't work. The only bgl file I have in the packages folder is the modelLib. Bgl in scenery / global /scenery. I don't even have a scenery /world / scenery folder

Country
unitedkingdom
Yes but no how do I compile the objects and shape files into a bgl? When I put the shp and xml files into the folder nothing happens my objects don't show up and the excludes don't work. The only bgl file I have in the packages folder is the modelLib. Bgl in scenery / global /scenery. I don't even have a scenery /world / scenery folder
I recommend you follow the scenery guide. Those folders are created based on what you’ve defined when you create the project. The compiler will sort those.

Scenery guide