• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

CTD with util.dll when using platform with fs2004-sdk

Messages
7
Hi,

maybe you could help me with my problem.

I'm building some helipads with gmax and fs2004-sdk. No special parameters set. Therefore I design for example a box, place the textures on it (with zbias_4), copy this box and with the AttachToolGmax I change the copied one to a platform. Then I declare the original box to "no crash detection" with the AttachToolGmax and let gmax create the mdl-file. At last I place the helipad with the xml-file.

Seems no problem. Of course the helipad has in this stage his own shadow, so no helicopter will show the correct shadow above. But that would be - thanks to Richard - no problem.
But... if I have some of these helipads in my region and I slew around I get CTDs (within util.dll) when exiting the flightsim. And - it seems so - only if I have ground shadows active.

:whiteflag
Where's my fault? And - if I would use the fs2002-sdk - how to build a helipad with FS2002-sdk? Where can I find a short description of the doing? I only have used FS2004-sdk until yet, never the old FS2002-ones. I don't want to place or build it with older tools. No problem with tweaking the asm-File if it's needed.

Thanks for your help,
Rainer.
 
Hi Rainer,

Yes, I have seen this bug as well and I don't think you can solve it. It only happens when you have a lot of platforms in a certain area (around 600 if I remember correct). The only solution to prevent these crashes is to use less platforms, or quit FS when you are not on a platform.
 
Hi Arno,

hm.... I only have 6 platforms set and I get this error... :confused:
I haven't found out, that it could have something to do with the amount of platforms. So it might be another reason in my case.

And how would you try to avoid my problem?
I'm installing a second gmax on a second computer to use here the fs2002-sdks. Do you know a place where I could find a description how to build such a thing like a platform with fs2002-makemdl and gmax?

Ciao,
Rainer.
 
Hi Rainer,

With the Fs2002 SDK you can not make a platform. People used small runways, and other SCASM code to get platforms. If you go and have a look at the AvSim scenery design forum you will find a lot of posts about that subject.

Strange that you get it already with only 6 platforms. And are these platforms just simply rectangles?
 
Hi Arno,

I get the problem with 2 or 3 platforms every time I want it (or better not).
Only boxes. Two of my others are round, cylinders with 10 sides.

And not when running the Flightsim. Every time, I leave FS and close the program (AND ground scenery shadow is active) I get CTD-problems with util.dll. And I could check it, that it must have something to do with the platforms. If I delete them from my files, no problem at all.

I got the same error, whenever I wanted to create a platform for a photo-background on my scenery. Other effects like killing shadow or effects like smoke is no problem. I have a lot of buildings and objects built with GMAX-FS2004-SDK. No problem at all. Only the platform won't run.

Now I found a way Richard described sometimes with direct xml-code to create helipads. It seems so, that this will be ok. No problems now with 2 of my helipads.

By the way - new pics from the region and from my airfields here:
http://www.aerosoft-shop.com/~images/OWL/OWLPreview2/index.html

Thanks Arno for your help. Of course you are named in my manual because of your great forum here and the tools you built. Great job!

Ciao,
Rainer.
 
Hi Rainer,

Why would you make a platform for an entire box? You would only need it for the polygon at the top, not? So I think it is better to not clone the entire object.

About the crash. Do you mean that even when you are not near (or on) one of the platforms you made, you still get the crash? That is weird.
 
Hi Arno,

I did nearly that what's described in the microsoft-demo-house-manual with adding a platform. And there it's described with a "copy".

I have designed a box (the platform), copied that and made from the second one an attachment-platform.
But - the error was also here - when I didn't copy the box but created a new plane and made a platform with this plane.

hm.... whenever I stopped fs for testing this, I was positioned on one of the heliports. So I don't know at the moment if the error would occur if I'm for example at an normal airport as well.

Ciao,
Rainer.
 
I am getting this also. I'm placing some Oil Platforms in the Gulf Of Mexico and have 22 of those there. The platforms have a Helo pad on each one and I get thse ctashes after I use AFCAD to make them show as helo pad with a start. I can do that and exit FS9 and then save in AFCAD or Save in AFCAD and exit and then exit FS9... doesn't matter... I get the crash either way. This only happens when I use AFCAD to make them show in FS Nav and the GPS. It doesn't damage anything in the scenery so I just keep going.
I have sent Lee Swordy an note on this.
Joe w.
 
Hi Joe,

That is interesting. Maybe we have two problems here. The crashes I have noticed are only due to the platforms (removing them removes the crash).

But your crashes related to the AFCAD file also only happen when you exit FS?
 
Hi Arno and Joe,

yes... that's not the same problem in my opinion. I only had crashes when using the platform-command. Using helipads with afcad or xml-code (thanks to Richard) seems to be absolutely no problem.

Ciao,
Rainer.
 
Back
Top