• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v5 Custom hydro polys make massive holes in ocean

Country
us-missouri
I use USGS NHD statewide shapefiles for a more accurate water environment. Works great inland, but on the coasts I am left with an odd patchwork of holes in my oceans. For example, here is the source data for the Channel Islands, south of Santa Barbara, Calif.

Screenshot 2021-09-24 174249.jpg

And here is the result in P3D:
Screenshot 2021-09-24 174316.jpg

Flying over these holes, it appears as if the seabed has some topography. Anyone know of a good fix to fill the gaps in the ocean back in?
Thanks,

Country
us-illinois
Hi Chris:

P3D terrain mesh does have Bathymetry (rather than just elevations above MSL) ...in that area.

The modification of terrain mesh by your derived CVX vector Hydro polys should provide superimposed 0 Meters AMSL sea-level polygons to flatten and assign the local water class attributes to create a flat / level sea level surface in all local areas,.

So, one must draw Hydro polys with Flatten and matching local Water Class attributes to be imposed onto the involved terrain quad areas in FS, in order to pre-empt rendering instructions for those areas otherwise provided via the CVX vector custom land class areas you derived from US data sets (which contain only a few circumscribed areas of interest as flatten / water class polys contained in the source data cited above ...rather than a continuous extent of coverage for the entire local area of the ocean surface off ex: Southern California).

p3dv4x_0102-cvx1519-jpg.77184

GaryGB

Attachments

• P3Dv4x_0102-CVX1519.jpg
    P3Dv4x_0102-CVX1519.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Country
us-missouri
I'll see if I can merge my shapefile that excludes stock P3D water polys with my NHD shapefile and tinker with that.
Thanks as always Gary.