• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Disappearing Ferries

Mac

Messages
92
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Hope someone might have a solution.
The ferries have disappeared and will only appear when you slew right onto a ferry.
Also, if the ferry is in motion the wake will show but not the ferry.
I had 3 Ultimate Terrain product installed along with Victoria+. I had some problems with one of the Ultimate Terrain products and uninstalled everything back to the basic FSX.
When I reinstalled the Ultimate Terrain products the ferries were gone and would only show as mentioned above. Thought maybe something got uninstalled that shouldn't have. Ultimate Terrain does not make changes to AI items.
I have searched and cannot find a solution that seems to work.

I was wondering if someone knew the name of the file/files that controls the AI ships movements.
I have FSX backed up after the initial install so have files that shouldn't be corrupted.

If I cannot correct the problem by replacing a corrupted file it looks like a complete reinstall of the sim.

Mac
 
The ships where controled by a traffic.bgl file. "trafficBoats.bgl" id the base FSX file but third party products can have different names.

If you see the wake then theese files seem to be in place. Mine are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery.

When you reinstall FSX do you refill properly the SimObjets/Boats folder?
 
When you reinstall FSX do you refill properly the SimObjets/Boats folder?

I haven't uninstalled and installed FSX yet. Not sure what you mean by "do you refill properly". I would think the installation should put everything in its place.

I have tired everything. I think I have copied most of the fsx files from my original save. Still no results.
All the AI boats were working properly before I Uninstalled. Guess I will have to go all the way and uninstall FSX as well. LOL
Would sure like to know what happens. Would hate to have a bunch of things installed and have to keep doing this.
 
I think this happened to me once. you can see the wake but not the ship, this is one of many weirds things that happen in Fsx and developing, so many that I can't remember what was the solution but don't think a reinstallation be necessary. take a look to the textures , check they are in his folders, and check that the files are correct and there are not missing files. you check the files in Simobjects /Boats
Edit: Could be it have to do with the materials some kind of incompatibility, as last resort try to left just the problematic traffic and see what happen.
And could be that are many instances of the same ship in the scenery. not sure if is was the problem because as said before can't remember exactly where the problema was.
 
Last edited:
Mac, "do you refill properly"... I mean reinstalling correcly the files in their original folders.

Tejal, that appends also to me during AI ship development, due to miswriting of the ship name in TraficBoats.txt... The wake was there, at the right time, but not the ship itself!
 
Well, I'm down to the bare bones. Only FSX installed and I have replaced a bunch of files from the original backup. Still no success. All AI boats will not show until you are almost touching them.
Sure wish I new what the problem is. Reinstalling FSX all the time is not a viable option.
Just hope I'm going to be able to uninstall after all the file replacements.:(
 
This is only default AI ships, ferries, cargo, small craft, etc.
Cars are running and planes flying ok.
 
This is a good one.
Installed FSX and checked. Increased all boats to 100% so I could see more boats. All AI boats back again. Great:)
Installed SP1 and SP2 and checked. Checked and have the same problem back. Large boats and small boats only showing when on deck.:mad:
I thought the upgrades were supposed to cure this problem, not cause it.:banghead:
Oh well, uninstall and try again.:censored:

UPDATE - Boats are back again. Made sure that "Run this program in compatibility mode " was unchecked. Thought I tried that before the reinstall and it didn't do anything. Seems to have worked this time.:scratchch
 
Last edited:
Back
Top