• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Disappearing objects

Ahoy there guys,

I'm making some now-closed Chinese airports from scratch for 90s AI traffic and now I'm having issues where when I go back and re-edit, the objects no long show, both in ADE and the sim. The _OBJ and _CVX files are there...is there some step I missed that I'm supposed to follow when re-loading an airport I built from scratch to prevent this?

2021-6-10-5-47-47-966.jpg

2021-6-10-12-28-46-938.jpg

Thank you for any help, can't say I've had this happen before. Lol.

Sorry, P3Dv4. I notice that even tho an _OBJ file is created, I often no long can visually get the objects do display when I close and then re-open the airport, but they still usually show up in the sim. For some reason, the OBJ file has the taxiway signs and windsocks I added last time, but I lost all the buildings...

Attachments

• ZGOX 1998.bgl
    18.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ZGOX 1998_CVX.bgl
    297 bytes · Views: 7
  • ZGOX 1998_OBJ.bgl
    326 bytes · Views: 8
  • ZSHX ADE.bgl
    25.5 KB · Views: 9
  • ZSHX ADE_CVX.bgl
    521 bytes · Views: 6
  • ZSHX ADE_OBJ.bgl
    404 bytes · Views: 7

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Can you please post the project file (.ad4) I assume you are working always from that and not from bgl files

Can you please post the project file (.ad4) I assume you are working always from that and not from bgl files
Hmm, no, actually. Sometimes I don't touch an airport for years then notice something and go back to change it, so I'd have a crap load of project files taking up space as I backdate airports so I'll have several different .bgls in different places for one airport over several decades, if that makes sense. Despite this, I haven't had this issue before...what about loading the .bgl directly with the _CVX/OBJ files in the folder causes objects to disappear?

Oh, luckily I do have the project file for one of them, but this was before I added all the taxiway signs and made other changes, I edited directly from the ade.bgl when I added them...

Attachments

• ZSHX_ADEP4_CR.ad4
    44.5 KB · Views: 7

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
So how are you making changes - there should be a project file if you are doing that. If you are working by loading and saving the bgl file then there is no telling what can go wrong

So how are you making changes - there should be a project file if you are doing that. If you are working by loading and saving the bgl file then there is no telling what can go wrong
Well that's what I've done the entire 20+ years I've been messing with AFCAD/ADE LOL! Usually the objects don't disappear, though. I just open the ADE file and edit, I mean what else can you do when you're, say, editing a payware airport or any 3rd party airport? All you have is the .bgl.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Most payware airports do not have objects contained in their ADE file. You did (and compiled them to a separate OBJ file), so you lost them when you opened the ADE BGL file instead of a project file.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Well since the early days of ADE it has been that case that you should work from the project file. If all you have is a bgl file then that should be loaded and saved as an ADE project file before making any changes (AFCAD works with bgl files, ADE does not).

If you have separate airport and OBJ bgl file then the recommended method is to load the airport bgl file and create a project from it, The import the OBJ file into the project. All bets are off with CVX (terrain) files since ADE cannot read them back into the project

Thank you guys for the advice, appreciate it. When I try to load the OBJ file, ADE only searches for a non-bgl format and thus I can't select it. Did I do something wrong?

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Not sure what you are doing but to add an OBJ bgl file to an ADE project you need to use File > Import Bgl

1623471798847.png