• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Earth curvature correction operational?

Country
kazakhstan
Hi Arno,

MCX is getting better and better almost every day! Thanks for your hard work!

Arno, quick question: I tried using "Correct entire object for curved earth (FSX)" but got no result. I was playing with the runway and taxiway marking.

The object was placed in BGL elevated 5cm above the ground level. Placement coordinates were specified in object information form. When I slewed to the end of the object (end of one of the runways) about 3km away from the reference point I saw that the rwy marking was up about 1.5m despite of me applying the correct entire object... function.

Let me know what I missed.

Thanks
Mike

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Mike,

It should work, but I never tested it with a runway. If you look at the bounding box before and after the change, do you see that the minimum value gets lower?

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Arno,

I've being trying this as well today and found that the X and Y co-ordinates were being reduced slightly (as I would expect) but the Z co-ordinate was slightly higher? I would have expected the height of the object to drop slightly due to the Earth's curvature?

Phil

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I'll give it a try here. I think I should have some runway layout around somewhere :).

Country
kazakhstan
Arno,

I have just run a test to see what happens to the bounding box min values and the resulting position of rwy marking in the airport.

Here's the scoop:

Before I apply curvature correction the values are as follows:

X=-1326.542
Y=-718.070

After:
X=-1324.579
Y=-718.300

Interestingly, when I open the sim and go to the end of the runway I see that the marking is up in the air at about 1m before the correction.

After correction, the marking is up in the air at about 1.5m which means that the correction raises it instead of lowering. I guess it must be just opposite, right?

Regards,
Mike

Country
kazakhstan
Arno,

I have also realized that one can make the curvature correction many times by repeatedly.

Maybe it's worth building in the feature to let the user now if the curvature correction has been applied?

Just an idea.

Mike

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Mike,

From the model you can't really know if it has been applied or not, the user should remember that.

The ground polygon wizard does apply the correction automatically btw.

I need to check what's wrong with the Z value, as it should decrease. One issue might be that you can't specify the altitude and that is very important for the curve of the earth. In the ground polygon wizard you can specify the altitude as well.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Mike,

I think the function was indeed inverted by accident. I have corrected it in the latest development release. So let me know if that works better.

Another change I made is that you can now enter the altitude on the object placement form as well. To have really accurate correction for the curved earth you need to enter the altitude (in meters) of your airport there.

Country
kazakhstan
Thanks, Arno.

I have just downloaded the update. Trying to enter the airport altitude I realized that the altitude field does not allow entry of a value exceeding 360. I guess it has the same type as the field above specifying heading.

Please correct that and then I will report on how the whole thing works.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Mike,

Oops, I copied it from heading and forgot to adjust the min and max values. Will change that tonight.

Send from my phone using Tapatalk, so excuse the short sentences and possible typos

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Arno,

Another change I made is that you can now enter the altitude on the object placement form as well. To have really accurate correction for the curved earth you need to enter the altitude (in meters) of your airport there.

I'll test this as well. I presume the altitude also has a bearing on the option to "correct effect placement...". Will this also take into account the altitude now?

Many thanks

Phil

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I fixed the altitude min/max limitation now, it will be in the next development release.

I would have to check if the altitude also influences the effects offset. But I guess it should for best results.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I checked the effect offset function and I think it might be improved by including the altitude as well. But I need to study my code a bit more, so that will take a few days probably.

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Arno,

Hi,

I checked the effect offset function and I think it might be improved by including the altitude as well. But I need to study my code a bit more, so that will take a few days probably.

That's great, I look forward to testing this update and the effect offset update once it's ready :)

Phil

Country
kazakhstan
Howdy Arno,

I have run a test this morning at UAAA. I have a long BGL with airport rwy/twy/apron marking that I wanted to place and see how it looks.

For the purpose of testing I set the altitude of BGL file to +5cm vs the airport elevation. Then I corrected the BGL to the curvature of the Earth and then slewed around to see what has happened.

Here's a video (sorry for poor quality) that displays the behavior of airport marking as a result - http://youtu.be/JdCxxtBy3LU and here you can see slewing along rwy 05L - http://youtu.be/S4q0wpWLTc4

Overall it looks like the curvature correction is working.

I am not sure why the rwy edge marking disappears on the middle part of the rwy even though the whole BGL is flat (no difference in elevation between the rwy center line marking and edge marking).

Any thoughts on what can be done to make rwy edge marking displayed evenly throughout the rwy length?

Thanks

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

If the vertices of the runway and markings are far from each other, they get a slightly different offset. So it would probably be best to slice your runway near the markings as well.

Send from my phone using Tapatalk, so excuse the short sentences and possible typos

Country
kazakhstan
Arno,

This is default runway, not the one made with Gmax or something. Does that make things different?

Mike
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Default runway should not be influenced by this. Or are your custom polygons on top of it?