• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

EcoRegions

Country
unitedstates
This is all wonderful. and great progress... I can't wait to see the results. Unfortunately I have no knowledge about how you do this and therefore I cannot be helpful in that area.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Problems concerning EcoRegions and Biomes:

Asobo should allow the extension of types for EcoRegions. Right now these are hard-coded types.

Asobo should allow Biomes to be local to the package. The Simple_Biome example shows the problem. Assigning the EcoRegion (Alps) to the biomes changes that assignment worldwide, so you get huge cacti instead of conifers everywhere that EcoRegion is used.

Country
unitedstates

Asobo should allow the extension of types for EcoRegions. Right now these are hard-coded types.

Asobo should allow Biomes to be local to the package. The Simple_Biome example shows the problem. Assigning the EcoRegion (Alps) to the biomes changes that assignment worldwide, so you get huge cacti instead of conifers everywhere that EcoRegion is used.
Are you trying to assign the EcoRegion (Alps) to the biomes in the xml file 10-asobo_biomes.xml ?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
No. Any changes made to the biome files will change the sim world-wide. Whether it is 10-asobo_biomes.xml, or 30-mycompany-biomes.xml, or anything else, the assigned EcoRegions are altered worldwide.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The packages should be placed in the Community folder like any other package. The EcoRegion polys will use the default biomes, unless the biome package is added. The polys just re-arrange the default ecoregions to conform to the placement of the EcoRegion_2017 locations.

That said, I think each EcoRegion should probably have it's own specific biome... but I think there are there are 843 regions.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand

I am interested in the work you are doing and I also agree that the types should be extended, maybe you could offer your findings to Asobo?

Interesting Topic! I was also wondering how one can tune the regions to get a more plausible look and feel for the vegetations.

I think the MSFS trees being a different tech from the FSX billboards, perhaps they hard coded most of this as long as we can't create additional types ourselves.

Just guessing of course.

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Interesting Topic! I was also wondering how one can tune the regions to get a more plausible look and feel for the vegetations.

I think the MSFS trees being a different tech from the FSX billboards, perhaps they hard coded most of this as long as we can't create additional types ourselves.

Just guessing of course.
The way I have managed to tie species to areas is to split the biome rules by species rather than ecoregion as the problem with the default setup is it limits the species to all Biomes in an ecoregion whereas the way I have done it for New Zealand is that I have made separate biome rules for each ecoregion that way you can have a different look and colour for each region rather than lumping them all in the same biome rule.

This is the most granular way I have found until there are more localised areas that can be assigned different species. This is also a limitation of the small number of materials that are currently available.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
An update on the EcoRegions. Asobo has changed the version number of polygons from 0.2.5 to 3.0.0, and they are a bit different. Here is an updated version. it takes about 7 hours to compile.

EcoRegionsv3.0.0

Kelvin Richardson

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
Hey Rhumba, is that the version number? I see yours is showing 0.2.5 but I'm not completely sure what this change is, could you explain?

Thanks

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
If you look at the above linked zip, the DBF file is changed to version 3.0.0
It's the DBF file (and the XML) that reflects the changes in the format. EcoRegion numbers are no longer referenced... it's now BiomeNames text.

Country
finland
Thank you very much Rhumbaflappy! I have used your examples to try to understand and create the EcoRegions for Finland. The default trees are way too high and the forest way too dense for being finnish, and since our country is mostly forest and lakes, this makes a big difference.
A few problems though.... sometimes or some places the trees seem to disappear and reappear, I have not found any reason for this behavior. I think this started after the sim update 5 this summer.
The second thing... my region polygons seem to work correctly, but when I cross the border (say to the west, Sweden) my forest is visible there as well. Is it so, that the last loaded biome for the set ecoregion is kept in memory until something else is loaded?
In Sweden this is probably not so bad, because the forest is basically the same as in Finland, but Russia.... guys over there have kind of liberate way of taking care of their forests. :D

Anyway, Finland EcoRegions (test scenery) can be loaded here if anyone is interested.
Finland EcoRegions

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Thank you very much Rhumbaflappy! I have used your examples to try to understand and create the EcoRegions for Finland. The default trees are way too high and the forest way too dense for being finnish, and since our country is mostly forest and lakes, this makes a big difference.
A few problems though.... sometimes or some places the trees seem to disappear and reappear, I have not found any reason for this behavior. I think this started after the sim update 5 this summer.
The second thing... my region polygons seem to work correctly, but when I cross the border (say to the west, Sweden) my forest is visible there as well. Is it so, that the last loaded biome for the set ecoregion is kept in memory until something else is loaded?
In Sweden this is probably not so bad, because the forest is basically the same as in Finland, but Russia.... guys over there have kind of liberate way of taking care of their forests. :D

Anyway, Finland EcoRegions (test scenery) can be loaded here if anyone is interested.
Finland EcoRegions
Could you include the shapefile source as well as the BGL? In other words, I would need to see the project file... not the resulting package.

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Hi Tatu.

I have the same problem with your polys and biomes. After the next sim patch today, I'll try to find a solution. It's identical to the problem with an earlier build when trying the Simple Biome sample from Asobo.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Maybe the patch did the trick?

Untitled.png

Russia to the right and Finland to the left. You have a layer of 30, and I think that could just be 0 or maybe 1. I changed the name of the "scrub" and "scrub_big" to "finland-scrub" and "finland-scrub_big" to avoid conflicts outside the package.
I'm attaching my zipped project of your files.

Attachments

• Finland EcoRegions.zip
    119.8 KB · Views: 101
Country
finland
Thank you very much your help!
I forgot those layers, I was trying to see if that would help the tree appear/disappear thing. Also so hard to remember naming everything with a unique name, for decades we have used "default textures" and features as a part of a addon sceneries, now that file folder structure has no effect anymore. Anyway, well spotted. :D

Last edited: