• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Effect not visible

Country
capeverde
Hi guys...

Iam trying to attach an effect to a object but the effect is not visible on ModelConverterX, and i can´t export any object with attached effect also, anyone is dealing with this or had this issue before.

Thank you.

Attachments

• effect01.jpg
    effect01.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 41
  • effect02.jpg
    effect02.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 47

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Ya, MCX won't render FSX effects, however the optionally available FXTool, I think it's called, after you've installed the FSX SDK, will render effects within the sim. Beyond that, you attach effects just like lights, so if it's not working, I'd check it in the effects editor.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

MCX can render effects and it seems you have the right options enabled (render attachpoints and render particle effects). What kind of effect is this, maybe this type is not supported?

As for the export issue, do you get any errors in the event log when there is no BGL made?

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I have never seen an FSX effect rendered in MCX and I used to create some pretty spectacular ones imo, like this fire foam spray.

1-7-860x472.jpg

FXEditor can render effects, however that render does not match the FSX render, so it's only useful on that basis. MCX renders the light cone boundary, but no sprayed foam, for me.

spot.jpg

How would I even trigger it? There is no "start" key, like with FXTool or FXEditor. It renders the light wash in night render mode.

night spot.jpg

I have effects with names like "RedFlameBouncingSmoke" and "GreenBlobbyFountain," it almost made me want to fire up FSX or P3D, so I could see them all again. You can basically compose, using the in sim editor, I'd love to learn how to see .fx
effects in MCX.

Getting back to the OP:
Hi guys...

Iam trying to attach an effect to a object but the effect is not visible on ModelConverterX, and i can´t export any object with attached effect also, anyone is dealing with this or had this issue before.

Thank you.

In both your included images, you show a directory "TOWER" with a .bmp image file and an .fx effects file. This file structure will work for MCX to read model files and find the assigned textures, but it will not work for FSX/P3D. I don't know any file structure where MCX will render effects, the attachpoints are part of the model and will always show as the small axis symbols, but for FSX to render effects, they must be contained in the "effects" folder, textures must be within the texture folder adjacent to the model/scenery folder.

So it would be good to confirm that you know this about the FSX file structure and the above images show a testing set up.

Country
capeverde
I have never seen an FSX effect rendered in MCX and I used to create some pretty spectacular ones imo, like this fire foam spray.

View attachment 84556

FXEditor can render effects, however that render does not match the FSX render, so it's only useful on that basis. MCX renders the light cone boundary, but no sprayed foam, for me.

View attachment 84559

How would I even trigger it? There is no "start" key, like with FXTool or FXEditor. It renders the light wash in night render mode.

View attachment 84560

I have effects with names like "RedFlameBouncingSmoke" and "GreenBlobbyFountain," it almost made me want to fire up FSX or P3D, so I could see them all again. You can basically compose, using the in sim editor, I'd love to learn how to see .fx
effects in MCX.

Getting back to the OP:

In both your included images, you show a directory "TOWER" with a .bmp image file and an .fx effects file. This file structure will work for MCX to read model files and find the assigned textures, but it will not work for FSX/P3D. I don't know any file structure where MCX will render effects, the attachpoints are part of the model and will always show as the small axis symbols, but for FSX to render effects, they must be contained in the "effects" folder, textures must be within the texture folder adjacent to the model/scenery folder.

So it would be good to confirm that you know this about the FSX file structure and the above images show a testing set up.

Yes! The question is i used to add effects to FSX and it works, and no issuses exportting the .BGL, and now with the P3D i have a new situacion, the axis is there but i cant visualize the effect as always, and even export the .BGL with the attached effect, i tought it was about textures issues with the settings, but after checked everithing seems me on place.

This guy here is doing exactly what i want to do, just add some beacons to a tower, on P3D of course.

Country
capeverde
Hi,

MCX can render effects and it seems you have the right options enabled (render attachpoints and render particle effects). What kind of effect is this, maybe this type is not supported?

As for the export issue, do you get any errors in the event log when there is no BGL made?
Hi Arno

Its a steady red beacon light ( obstacle illumination), now i can export at least the tower.bgl but the effect still not visible on P3D.

Attachments

• torre_sid01.jpg
    torre_sid01.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 35
  • torre_sid02.jpg
    torre_sid02.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 38

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
This guy here is doing exactly what i want to do, just add some beacons to a tower, on P3D of course.
Ok, I stand corrected, I have now seen an effect rendered in MCX. I tried many and finally before giving up, I tried the exact named effect Mark used. I can attest that I had to zoom in pretty close to see the effect outside the image of the attach point origin and this is the only effect I could find that I could see at all.

lighted.jpg

Going further, I am having trouble understanding why the name of the effect is in your attach point column in "effect01.jpg," is it added as a library object? If you attach the effect just as is shown in this image and insure a copy is in the effects folder, it should work in sim, providing you do not have it set "dusk to dawn," that is a daytime image.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
For sure MCX can render the effects, it is using the same logic as FXEditor for that (actually FXEditor was a spin-off tool after I added the visualisation in MCX). As Rick mentioned not all effects are rendered 100% the same as the sim will do. The screenshot below is a default smoke stack effect being rendered on an object. MCX looks for effect files in the local folder of the object and in the effects folder of the preferred FS version set in the options. If the FX file can't be found in any of these two it will not be shown.

1666120876821.png

The default light effects should be shown normally. You say you don't see it in P3D either. Is the FX file in the right folder in P3D (or did you select it from the P3D effects folder already)?