• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Elementary Scenery Modification Question

Messages
31
Country
us-texas
First, I am a real novice at Scenery design/creation and modification.

That said, I am reasonably literate around computers, and consider myself able to follow reasonably explicit directions.

I have a "piece" of scenery, in the form of a .bgl file, that I wish to move/relocate geographically.

Is there a GUI utility that I can use to do what I believe needs to be done:

1. convert the .bgl to .xml

2. edit the .xml to change the "lat=" and "lon=" parameter values, and save the changes.

3. compile the .xml into a .bgl for use within FSX.

I would assume (probably incorrectly) that, if the .bgl "runs" in FSX currently, all I would have to do is change the values in the LAT & LON fields, and re-compile the .xml into a useful .bgl file.

Any pointers, directions, tutorials, etc. will be most appreciated.

Thanks :confused:
 
All the theory is correct, the XML file is a placement file, you just have to change his position in lat long coordinates, and recompile again, with the Bglcomp.exe.
 
I think we need a bit more information. What do you mean by scenery? An airport? Some buildings or other objects somewhere away from an airport; or the terrain such as a forest or mountain?
 
Jon,

This is some buildings and "roads" placed away from an airport (out in the middle of the desert" East of Yuma, Arizona).

It is a target area known as "Yodaville", and is displaced slightly from the "photo-real" underneath it (the photo-real is MegaScenery Earth - Arizona).

What I'm trying to do is get them "lined up".

It's just a common .bgl file (which can't be opened in ADE, since there's no "airport" defined within it.

I will "muddle about" and endeavor to get the SDK BGLCOMP to compile the modified XML file.

Al
 
Last edited:
Roads may be terrain vectors compiled with Shp2vec. If that is the case then you will probably have to place an exclusion and then add them back in the right place.

Sent from my Sony Xperia with Tapatalk 2
 
And problably you can't move the buildings and objects at once. you will have to decompile and place them one by one.
You could place them with the Sdk OPT (object placement tool) once you get the guid of each one.
 
Back
Top