• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Equivalent of Sketchup's Geolocation...

Now that they've taken Google out of Google Sketchup, I'm looking for something as simple as Sketchup's geo-location feature, which was the only reason I kept Sketchup. This would give me a photo of the area which I could transfer directly to GMAX to give accurately sized building footprints etc.
So any suggestions about something which can do this for me without driving me balmy? I've been doing without, just measuring in Google Earth, but it's not quite accurate enough for what I need.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
There are 3rd party plugins that access map servers.

Thanks, Rick, I did mean to mention this in my original post, but promptly forgot -- although I posted here in the SKU subforum, as it was vaguely relevant, I was one of those who were affected by the recent 'update', and I'm really looking for a non-Sketchup tool.

Country
us-texas
Just create a texture from Google Maps and place on a ground plane. It works better than the google placement tool anyway.

Good thing that google placement had was that it stored geolocation.....which was pretty useful later during mcx conversion.

Country
france
On my side, as I'm unable to use Blender or Gmax but Sketchup, I spend the week-end to find and validate the proper workflow.
  • I'm using FSEarthTile to create the HighRes bitmap over the area of interest,
  • MCX to convert Lat/Lon to FlatX/FlatY size in meters, using FSET log output
  • Sketchup to create the 2*FlatX/2*FlatY ground plane, then place the HighRes bitmap on it

Thanks to the WiKi!

Let's move to GP creation workflow now...

Country
us-texas
For a small area, you may actually find that a screengrab from google maps will yield a far better image than an LOD 18 high res image from FS Earth Tiles or Sbuilder.

Country
france
Actually I'm using "level 0" - 25 cm/pixel - resolution from FSET wich seems to be nice as a guide to create accurate GP.
Another problem of Sketchup direct "Geo-localisation" image is also the limited size of the grab which gives a too small area or too low resolution for proper work.

On my side, as I'm unable to use Blender or Gmax but Sketchup, I spend the week-end to find and validate the proper workflow.
  • I'm using FSEarthTile to create the HighRes bitmap over the area of interest,
  • MCX to convert Lat/Lon to FlatX/FlatY size in meters, using FSET log output
  • Sketchup to create the 2*FlatX/2*FlatY ground plane, then place the HighRes bitmap on it

Thanks to the WiKi!

Let's move to GP creation workflow now...
Thats what I do too, but it only gives you the correct size of the satellite image with no georeference, AFAIK.

Country
france
Correct, georeferencing must be done through MCX GP wizard.
Is there another path?

Last edited: