• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Error creating 3d Device?

Messages
361
Country
us-indiana
Hi guys,

When I try to assign a .DDS file in Max using the material editor, I get the following message:

K:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Error in creating 3d Device

Has anyone ever run into this before?

Kevin
 
Maybe selected the wrong 3D Driver before?

Or a bad graphics driver installation?

Or missing a DirectX installation?
 
Which begs the question of why you want to assign a .dds texture in Max to begin with?

Why not simply use .bmp, .jpg, .png, or psd?
 
I'm probably still a little rusty.

You make the texture in Photoshop, save it as a .dds, assign it to the plane in Max, export the plane, put it all in the proper place and live happily ever after, right?

Kevin
 
I'm probably still a little rusty.

You make the texture in Photoshop, save it as a .dds, assign it to the plane in Max, export the plane, put it all in the proper place and live happily ever after, right?

Kevin

No, use the Photoshop .psd file in Max.

For FSX, flip vertically then Save As the .psd to .dds.

If you try to use the vertically flipped .dds in Max, the texture(s) will be upside down and backwards!
 
For some reason I am not getting my textures, just a black plane. I seem to remember this being a pretty simple solution...

I loaded the textures into Max in the diffuse channel as a Flightsim X material and applied it to the fuselage.

Then I went into Photoshop and I saved it as a DXT5 .dds file with no Mip Maps and as a 2d Texture. I also tried it as a DXT3...

Any thoughts?
 
Make certain that you close FSX entirely and then restart it so that the texture names are read correctly.
 
Use any default plane's _T.dds renamed to your texture name, and see if this displays anything in FSX.

If it doesn't something is wrong either filename-wise (-?) or with your file association in Max (which I know nothing about).

If it does, then something is likely wrong with the way you are creating the FS texture files, or the files themselves are out of format. Perhaps try DXTBMP as an alternative. Perhaps post a version of your file reduced to 512,512 here, and we'll have you sorted in no time.

Naturally, double check whether the correct folder is referenced in your aircraft.cfg.
 
Under the heading of 'Well DUH...'

It helps greatly if the file you save as DDS and the file you load into max have the same name...:rolleyes:

BTW, it's not necessary to start FSX again every time. If you just choose a different plane then it frees up the files to be edited. For instance, I use the Extra as my donor plane, so when I want to change something, I just go to the DC3 which is right next to it. ;)

I'm back in business...
 

Attachments

  • tams-1.jpg
    tams-1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Under the heading of 'Well DUH...'

It helps greatly if the file you save as DDS and the file you load into max have the same name...:rolleyes:

BTW, it's not necessary to start FSX again every time.

Well, it certainly is when it doesn't work... Sometimes FSX just wants to be stubborn, and won't flush the textures even when changing aircraft...

...just saying!

Yes, I know all about having absolutely identical filename(s)...

...from my own experience! :yikes:
 
Sometimes FSX just wants to be stubborn, and won't flush the textures even when changing aircraft...

Yes, as I had to learn the hard way. I have a custom key assigned which reloads the mdl but often retains the textures in RAM. When changing the plane via loading a different plane then sometimes the textures are flushed and sometimes they are not.

And the lesson is ... whenever you have changed a texture and FS seems to indicate "doesn't make any difference" then restart FSX and double-check. I lost hours over assuming this or that change in texture didn't make any difference.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top