• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 Failed to open gmax file

Messages
308
Country
faroeislands
I have an issue with opening the model in gmax.
It worked fine a few sec ago before posting this topic, but now it wont open.
I have tried to x ref scene and object but the same problem.

All I did was the slice pline/slice and boom :tapedshut
Not the biggest project, btu if someone knows how to open it and could give it a try or tell me how to, that would be great and would save me a day or so.

:(:confused:


I don't care if I loose all the materials, textures and stuff, but if the model is intact, that will do just fine.
I am some what sure that the file is not salvage able, but just asking in case someone knows a way.

Forgot to set the autobackup on before I started working after a new clean gmax install.
File attached
 

Attachments

Last edited:
I'd go straight into your Gmax\Autoback folder before you do much else and see if there might be a copy in there you can salvage. Use "Open" in gmax and file types: all files and you should be able to open them. Hopefully one of them is your project.

I've had that happen too, sometimes they get corrupted when you save. Just three days ago I lost one too, but I had a backup so it didn't hurt bad.

EDIT: I couldn't open your file either. I don't remember needing to set gmax to auto backup, I think it does by default unless you've changed the setting.

Jim
 
Last edited:
When GMax is installed, it defaults to 3 automatic backups. Anytime you're working and see the little "spinning mouse icon" you'll know that it's cheerfully backing up your current scene...

...in my case, that usually happens just when I've got some vertex selected and am carefully moving it... :rotfl:
 
thanks for the response guys, but gmax has not made any backups for me despite it is set to enabled in the settings menu for each 3 min.

Strange, but ohh well, I have to save the project more often then my self if gmax for some reason does not.

The autoback folder is empty, and a search turns up nothing but the original broken file :eek:
 
The autoback folder is empty, and a search turns up nothing but the original broken file :eek:

You did check the right folder?

C:\gmax\autoback

There should be several files with the .gx extension

Autobak1.gx
Autobak2.gx
etc.

Make certain you have Explorer set to "Show all files and folders" as well as full extensions...
 
The autobak files will be there ... Don;t run Gmax until you have found them, or they will be overwritten with new empty ones.

I have on occasion had success "importing" elements from a corrupted Gmax file, but not always (unfortunately)

Other workflows:

Via MDL File:
1. If you have a mdl already exported, open it with Arno's ModelconverterX
2. Start a new Gmax file, import the 3Ds into Gmax

(for FSX you can also export an X-file, and use the LODNametool to get the GUID from the X-file)

3. Select all vertices and weld within a 0.001m radius to fix the broken welds pn import
4. Re-make the materials (esp for FSX, perhaps not in FS9)
 
You did check the right folder?

C:\gmax\autoback

There should be several files with the .gx extension

Autobak1.gx
Autobak2.gx
etc.

They are there but gmax wont open them but thanks ;)

The autobak files will be there ... Don;t run Gmax until you have found them, or they will be overwritten with new empty ones.

I have on occasion had success "importing" elements from a corrupted Gmax file, but not always (unfortunately)

Other workflows:

Via MDL File:
1. If you have a mdl already exported, open it with Arno's ModelconverterX
2. Start a new Gmax file, import the 3Ds into Gmax

(for FSX you can also export an X-file, and use the LODNametool to get the GUID from the X-file)

3. Select all vertices and weld within a 0.001m radius to fix the broken welds pn import
4. Re-make the materials (esp for FSX, perhaps not in FS9)


Thanks.
I converted the mdl file into a 3ds file and that did the trick :)
Just a shame that gmax is so buggy, because I have used other programs in the past, and this has never happened :confused:
 
They are there but gmax wont open them but thanks ;)

If GMax wouldn't open them at all, then the corruption occurred before the oldest "Autoback" was written to disk...

...which is indeed a pity, but sometimes stuff just happens.

You might just wish to set your Autoback to 10 backup levels, every 5 minutes to avoid this in the future.

Also, make absolutely certain that you've set up GMax to make incremental saves. Never overwrite the same .gmax file... ;)

In any case, I'm glad you've recovered your work via MCX => .3ds!
 
If GMax wouldn't open them at all, then the corruption occurred before the oldest "Autoback" was written to disk...

...which is indeed a pity, but sometimes stuff just happens.

You might just wish to set your Autoback to 10 backup levels, every 5 minutes to avoid this in the future.

Also, make absolutely certain that you've set up GMax to make incremental saves. Never overwrite the same .gmax file... ;)

In any case, I'm glad you've recovered your work via MCX => .3ds!

I will make sure of this, thanks :)
It is a small airfield and not an airport I am making.
I find it strange that gmax would crash like this for a little project, and without any effects on the model which are not normal, ohh well :)

Thanks to you guys, and the help of Arno (without him knowing about it)
the problem is solved, thanks all, and thanks mcx
 
Back
Top