• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Finally aerial imagery

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I finally got some time and tools to create an aerial imagery. Lots of things to digest here, but a good start.

In_Sim.png

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
First oddity is the appearance of grass(?) at the edges of the black areas. They actually sway around. This was from tiles of zoom level 19. I don't think lower levels are supported.
WierdGrass.png

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
To be honest, I'm cheating. I'm using the defunct Microsoft VE MapCruncher. It produces the tiles from any image. You rubber-band the image to match the Bing map imagery.

MapCruncher doesn't work on our PCs. But I must have dropped mine because now it does work (cough, cough). MapCruncher is perfect for small area usage, like a town or an airfield. You just need to find the right image.

The License prohibits commercial usage and usage for anything but Virtual Earth. But Virtual earth is gone, and the program appears to be abandonware, so this is a grey area, at best. But for my own use, it neatly does the trick.

home.png

Note the trees are a bit too green to match the default.

Country
ireland
This looks fantastic. So if I have a large aerial image with known quality (cm/pixel) and I know say the center point coordinate, I can bring this into FS2020? It would be great if you could perhaps do a short tutorial (When you have time of course)

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
The problem with aerial imagery is that no two sources match. We need a program that allows rubber-banding an image to the Bing imagery. MapCruncher can do this. I think Global Mapper can also do this. I don't think QGIS can do it. The image needs to be stretched even if the image is the correct projection. The image also needs color correction to match the Bing imagery, and trim the rectangular image with an alpha channel. Large-scale aerial imagery might not work out well, as you need to have the 256x256 image for each zoom-level 19 tile to make the package.

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I'm actually using a hacked version... I can't redistribute it or distribute anything made from it. But it might be of value to bug ASOBO about it using zendesk, to see if they can convince MS to resurrect it for the sim.

I see QGIS can georeference images to match the Bing imagery:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=georeference+in+qgis

https://wiki.tuflow.com/index.php?title=QGIS_Aerial_Imagery

And QGIS can create 256x256 tiles... We just need a way to reorganize and rename those tiles to the Bing Maps convention.

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

I also found a direct download link for MapCruncher via Microsoft if anyone is interested. ;)

PS: I have not yet tried this with MapCruncher, but I sometimes have success running "expired" executables with this: :idea:

GaryGB

Country
norway
I see QGIS can georeference images to match the Bing imagery:
And QGIS can create 256x256 tiles... We just need a way to reorganize and rename those tiles to the Bing Maps convention.

For QGIS I have searched around for tiling options and I found that GDAL apparently has a tool called gdal2tiles:

I have no experience with the python interface of qgis/gdal so I have yet to find it in my installation :rolleyes:...I have for anyone that's interested found these blogs and maybe some of you can get it to work:
It seems that the idea is to georeference the source and then run this gdal2tiles. (If only I could work out the mumbo/jumbo of pyton). It should support bing, but if it's in the OSM-system there shouldn't be a problem to rearrange those (since the tiles are the same, but the z/y/x is canged....

[Edit Update]

I finally got this to work! :idea::stirthepo:wizard: !
To get it to work (although you surely are smarter than me, but anyway):
  • Download the first file from qgis (the one with OSGEOW)
  • Install it to a root-level dir - and with NO SPACES in the name
  • Install everything (well at least that's what I did to be sure)
To run it
  • In the programs menu look into the "OSGeo4W" folder and select the shortcut "OSGeo4W Shell"
  • In the shell: verify with i.e. typing: "gdal2tiles -help"
I ran it on a geotiff and there it was! Yes, it made both directories for the different zoom-levels and files. It also made a test-viewer to check in your browser. (the osm works, and is good enough for verifying, but for bing-testing and google you will have to add the bing-key, otherwise the background map will not show)

Happy days!

[/End edit update]

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
For Qgis:

GeoReference the image to Bing!
The GeoReferencer is in the Raster tab... You can rubberband the image to the underlying Bing maps. Use lots of points (20-30).

Qgis_Georeference.png

Generate Tiles:

GenerateTiles.png

Here's the result:

TileDirectory.png

The remaining problem is to rename all the tiles. 20 is the zoom, the sub-directories are the "x" location, and the tile names are the "y". Somebody will come up with a program to rename them as quadtree, and gather them in a single folder.

Country
norway
Thank you for the instructions.

The remaining problem is to rename all the tiles. 20 is the zoom, the sub-directories are the "x" location, and the tile names are the "y". Somebody will come up with a program to rename them as quadtree, and gather them in a single folder.

I may have some code for that:
Code:
        /// <summary> 
        /// Converts tile XY coordinates into a QuadKey at a specified level of detail. 
        /// </summary> 
        /// <param name="tileX">Tile X coordinate.</param> 
        /// <param name="tileY">Tile Y coordinate.</param> 
        /// <param name="levelOfDetail">Level of detail, from 1 (lowest detail) 
        /// to 23 (highest detail).</param> 
        /// <returns>A string containing the QuadKey.</returns> 
        public static string TileXYToQuadKey(int tileX, int tileY, int levelOfDetail)
        {
            StringBuilder quadKey = new StringBuilder();
            for (int i = levelOfDetail; i > 0; i--)
            {
                char digit = '0';
                int mask = 1 << (i - 1);
                if ((tileX & mask) != 0)
                {
                    digit++;
                }
                if ((tileY & mask) != 0)
                {
                    digit++;
                    digit++;
                }
                quadKey.Append(digit);
            }
            return quadKey.ToString();
        }

... but in all fairness the code is base on: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/bingmaps/articles/bing-maps-tile-system

Country
norway
To follow up my previous post: I have put together a mock-up for copying files to the quad-key naming.
It can be downloaded here:

The program assumes a directory structure of: "zoom\x\y.png"
Please report back if this is not correct.... maybe it's "zoom\y\x.*"
...And please let me know if I have understood the problem/solution... I may have got carried away in my enthusiasm :oops: and solved the wrong problem the wrong way.

Included are a bat-file showing how to use it assuming one has placed it something like this:
files.png

but it doesn't have to if you change the parameters.

If this is useful, I'll update it and proofing it a bit better.

Country
unitedkingdom
Unfortunately the tool seems to be producing Quadkeys that are too long for me and FS2020 is not recognising them in order to compile. It's my understanding that the quadkeys should be 20 digits long at 20 zoom?

Using as described in readme and .bat.
Any help appreciated.

1598483054220.png

Country
norway
Unfortunately the tool seems to be producing Quadkeys that are too long for me and FS2020 is not recognising them in order to compile. It's my understanding that the quadkeys should be 20 digits long at 20 zoom?

Using as described in readme and .bat.
Any help appreciated.

Thank you for testing it and providing feedback.

I'll look into it in more detail and see if I can provide an update.

I just put it together without studying all details in the sdk as it was described here. But the quad-key algorithm is taken from the bing-site, Maybe the source naming of files and directories are different for google or openstreetmap(?). What was the source fies generated as and named?

Again, thank you and I'll see if I can fid out some more.

Country
unitedkingdom
1598486243933.png
1598486277262.png

1598486290531.png
1598486310651.png

Here's a few screen grabs of the file structure. Images tiled using QGIS from a GeoTIF.

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this little bit of software together. Once its working correctly (or if I start using it properly haha!), it will be incredibly usefull.