• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS First Project - Small Airfield

Country
germany
Hello :)

Maybe this is a bit different post from the other ones here, where usually it seems to be great and experienced devs showing their work. I guess i fall out of order there, since im a real noob.

I thought for a while if i should make this topic or not and decided to give it a go, for various reasons. The first one would be that this will encourage myself to not give up. And maybe the one or other beginner can learn from the mistakes i made, i will post those ones here too ^^
Don't hesitate to say if you dont like something or if you see mistakes, im in this forum to learn. But please keep in mind that most models are not finished yet. This airfield is really small and probably an experienced dev would finish it in 2 weeks. But if your a beginner everything takes ages, maybe you remember how it was when you started .-)

This project will be freeware when its done (what will take quite a while im afraid). Not a single object is in its finished state, it actually really early in the dev-process, so everything will look better at one point.

Anyway, enough talk. Lets start.

What ive got so far (all these models are part of the scenery and are really at the airfield irl.:

The first steps in Blender (after doing some beginners tutorials)

These were my very first models where i didnt follow a tutorial. I created a bank, table and fence with Blender.

Probably will go for another stone texture, this one is too soft compared to irl table/bank.

1614821504644.png

On the next one, this fence, i want to put in more details with Substance Painter, when i learned to work with it. Some nails or something like that baked in wouldnt hurt.

1614821623326.png

Also here more detail will be put in with Substance painter. Like rust and such details. So far that are only placeholder materials. But it will do for a beer or two ^^ As a guest of course, noone is flying drunk here^^
In case anyone is wondering what this is, in Germany we call this "Bierbank" and usually you drink beer here and eat something on whatever festivity there may be (before Corona...).

1614821956476.png

Some side-building with placeholder low-res textures. This whole building was done the way bill Womack is teaching it in his youtube playlist (if your a beginner, go look at it! Its really good). Including the AO baking etc.
Its probably the lowest poly object ive done so far ^^. But at one point this building will get more detail too.

1614822156095.png

Now lets move to a bit higher detail objects.

After those smaller things i started to do the tower. And somehow im nearly a bit proud of this one ^^ I know that the pro doesnt think its something special but for me this was the very first higher detail object and imo it doesnt even look bad.

1614822533651.png

EDMI_PRender.png

The next building i started is the one for the paragliders. Full metal. This one cost me a lot of restarts :) But in the end it looks ok imo. Again, no building is really finished. Things like AO and other details will be added step by step as i learn to use the tools.

Try 1

unknown.png

A bit further in. Have to scale the signs right but have to go take a look at the airfield to see hot it actually looks. Now i already have added some withering effects.

unknown.png

And the whole stuff in the sim (the tower is sunken in a bit but its really small irl too.). Of course i will add a dynamic light instead of only those emitting texture on the tower light.

unknown.png

The wood textures from the tower are not right in the last and following pic. but that will be done soon. Seems i have mixed up a layer when creating the comp texture with the rgb channels. The glossieness shouldnt be right with wood ^^ But i think i know where the problem is, surley i mixed something up.
unknown.png

That was it for today :) I hope i can post soon more and also that its not too boring for the pros to watch. Like said, im a beginner and this is my very first project ever. First times Blender, first times SDK, first times Substance Painter, first time anything besides Photoshop, that used in work. Im in a stage where i still have lots of questionmarks in my head when doing these things. But im sure that im at the right spot to learn in this forum.

I know there is a lot of room for performance optimization, for example. Not that i feel any negative impact so far but this is surely not optimized a lot. But one step after the other, somewhere one has to start ^^

One of the biggest problems i have on this project is missing height info. Its not in google earth in 3d so i cannot measure it. Have to find a way to overcome this for the next project.

Thanks for watching, until next post!

Last edited:

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
Very nice, good job !

I know there is a lot of room for performance optimization, for example. Not that i feel any negative impact so far but this is surely not optimized a lot. But one step after the other, somewhere one has to start ^^
Everything is a question of project size, there are a lot of poly's but the project seems small so it works, on the other hand if you do for example Johannesburg - OR Tambo:) it would not work.

Country
germany
Very nice, good job !

Everything is a question of project size, there are a lot of poly's but the project seems small so it works, on the other hand if you do for example Johannesburg - OR Tambo:) it would not work.

Yes, i thought something like that too. There are only 4 buildings here and the tower, should be ok. And some clutter objects of course. Seems msfs has a bit more room to go into detail. To test i placed 10 of those hangars and 5 towers into the scene,, fps counter didnt change by even an fps. Surprised me a bit.

But im sure this wont work like this with the bigger ones, yes.

Cédrice

Resource contributor
Country
france
yes, and at this level of detail, a large international airport would take you maybe several years... (in the event that you have access to all the data)

Country
unitedkingdom
Very good work. Especially for someone in the process of learning.

Keep the posts coming, we can all learn from other designers work.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Country
germany
Thanks everyone :) Really appreciated!

Don't.

Your work looks really promising, take your time, i especially like your attention to detail - keep it up !

I think im over the edge now, i hope it at least. :) Thank you!
What a great project - I like your pictures. Perhaps my Soloy T206H will have a home in future.

Ha! Thats amazing ^^ I think ive seen that one, dropping the para-guys. This is really great, indeed that would be your home then :) Youre coming from here too?

Here are 2 more for you to do^^

20200919_183101.jpg

20200919_184836.jpg

I have these 2 on the pics when i made them for the project.

Im progressing. Rather slow because just soooo much to learn...... My head explodes soon im afraid^^ But here are a few more.

Modeled the Airbus A380 Hangar, as i call it for obvious reasons. First one was with placeholder textures, that one had the plane already on it. But this one is latest iteration, A380 still missing. But it will follow. I have to go to the airfield again... Need more pics. Already on this one i see an error in height. But not so easy, the airfield isnt in 3D on google Earth or something.

The building is still not ready, i want to add more small details to the textures, it still looks a bit sterile imo.

unknown.png

EDMI_Airbus_Building.jpg

EDMI_Airbus_Building2.jpg

Sadly there are 3 rather big errors, compared to the real one but maybe ill do that in another version. Would have to change the whole building for that.
Sometimes im too distracted i think... forget to watch for the details. 4 basically, if one takes those door hinges (not sure if thats the right word) into it. Have to change those more to the real ones... Like this it doesnt make much sense ^^

This building now has around 8k Tris. Not sure if thats much or not. Probably it is.

The real one.

20200919_182911.jpg

I did other things meanwhile too, but more optimization tasks. I could reduce vertices by 70% on some of the buildings... Without to have it look different. So many mistakes in the first go^^ But i think im nearing something one could name "flow". But still a bit to go for that. So many open ??? about textures and some things regarding ngons. But for that i will make another topic i think.

Well, that was it. See you next time at EDMI.

Country
germany
There we go! Next one finished. The proportions sadly arent the same, like mentioned i had no real measurement. Maybe in an upcoming second version i will fix that. For now i leave it as it is.

Now to the most difficult one, the main building.... That will take a while, im afraid.

EDMI_AirbusBlg_Render06.jpg

Last edited:
Country
germany
Hello everyone. That last building made some progress. Still want to add some details here and there over time. Currently learning Substance Painter still and im baffled of that program. Its so amazing. Unbelievable what one can do there and in what amount of time, compared to Photoshop. I only scratched the surface and the result is already not too bad imo. Of course it can always be better but for the fact that i know maybe 5% about that program its not too bad imo.

(if you dont see pic, give it time. It may take a while to load)

EDMI_Blg_Left_Render5.jpg

EDMI_Blg_Left_Render6.jpg

EDMI_Blg_Left_Render8.jpg

EDMI_Blg_Left_Render9.jpg

Basically nearly done.

Country
germany
Some smaller stuff.... weird things are on this airfield, i can tell you

EDMI-Schaukel.jpg

EDMI_Bierbank3.jpg

EDMI_Bierbank5.jpg

I like the table and seat somehow. The wood and metal came out pretty nice imo.
Starting to get the hang of Substance.

Country
germany
Starting to really get comfortable in what im doing. Not only clicking some buttons and hope the results will be great. ^^ And way faster too.

Fuelstation on the way to be finished as well.

EDMI-Tankstelle.jpg

EDMI-Tankstelle2.jpg

Country
germany
Thanks :) i have some fun playing around with substance painter. Such an amazing program. Feels nearly like cheating sometimes