• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Foster 511 RNAV Beta version done.

Country
us-arizona
Believe it or not, I have the Foster 511 RNAV mostly done. I have not been able to solve the autopilot issue nor the CDI indicator issue yet. I have attached a zip of all the files involved. I didn't cab them as I assume people will want to look at the code. This is my first XML gauge and I welcome all criticism, constructive or not. ;-) Not being able to find a good explanation on the structure and flow of FSX XML the code is probably not optimum but it seems to work. Those unfamiliar with the Foster 511 will find the Power on button near the bottom in the middle of the gauge. Just poke around with your mouse and you'll find it. The rest is pretty self explanatory. Two waypoint buttons, top left and right, RNAV ON and VOR/DME buttons and of course the hard bit the thumbwheels. The mouse areas for them are just below and above and little to the right of the numbers.

I'm still hoping there are some ideas on a solution to the autopilot floating around and would welcome any help. Anyway those interested in older airplanes might be interested.

Enjoy

David

Attachments

• Foster_511.zip
    106.4 KB · Views: 209
Country
us-arizona
It occurred to me that I should have included the HSI and AP gauges thaat work with the Foster RNAV. I changed the AP to use the heading set trick as in the original Century AP file. I'll leave it to those that want to try it to modify their panel.cfg file. Obviously the easy way is to use FS Panel Studio which I highly recommend if you do any panel mods at all. One of the very few FS utilities worth paying for. I also have found a very good XML editor in the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 package that is free from Microsoft. Get the C++ version. Just a click on the xml file and the editor opens it. The editor formats XML nicely and does some syntax checking. Edits multiple files. Of all the XML editors I've tried this is the best, IMO of course.

David

Attachments

• Foster_511.zip
    106.4 KB · Views: 218
  • FP_C2v2.zip
    180.2 KB · Views: 200
  • N1106F_HSI.zip
    89.4 KB · Views: 209
Country
us-pennsylvania
David, I wanted to thank you for working on this Foster 511 RNAV "gauge" for FSX. Many, many years ago, your posting of this project stirred interest in the RNAV application between my Instrument Flight Instructor and myself and I have always wanted the Foster 511 in my FSX airplanes. For years, I have had a personal goal of getting it working, the Foster 511 is a bit different than the most simple King KN-74 RNAV that is depicted in my Cessna Commercial "Professional Manual of Flight". Using the Foster as a launching point, in 2017, right up to toady, I have made a variety of RNAV Units that rely on the FSX standard nav receivers for VOR-DME (VORTAC) facilities and I have many happy flights "off-the-airways" and yet quickest way to travel for sure, with only the GPS receivers for back up. Today, I finished my own "beta" version of Foster_511.XML, which you will see attached. I flew a Piper PA-28 Cherokee out of 8G2 - Corry-Lawrence Airport in Corry, PA. (USA) out to the southeast where V-119 and V-184 intersect 132-radial, 22.3 nmiles from TDT VORTAC on 117.60 on the Foster WPT#2. I placed the destination airport, Warren, PA. in the WPT#1 data wheels of yours at 68-radial, 13.2 nmiles off the same VORTAC. As soon as I acquired the VORTAC on take-off, I had the VOR-DME button pushed that showed me both the bearing to take "TO" the VOR as well as the distance, as seen in my Nav#2 RMI, the white pointer "V". I then pushed RNAV ON and the right hand side WPT button and off I went to the Victor Highway Intersection. I verified the arrival with NAV#1 tuned to TDT also and then pushed the left hand side WPT button and the bearing of 358 popped up and we turned the heading bug NW and zoomed to KWAR (R.O.Finley's Ghost Airports of PA.). The three attached screen shots are of that leg of the trip, showing you the gauge displays of the RNAV operation upon arrival to Warren, PA. A Perfect flight on a perfect day! Thanks for offering the zip files on this FSDeveloper website. It was enough to fulfill my desire to have a Foster 511 RNAV and now I do! Ron P. 5/1/2023

Attachments

• Foster511_KWAR.JPG
    Foster511_KWAR.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 90
  • KWAR_Foster511.JPG
    KWAR_Foster511.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 82
  • TDT_VOR_Data.JPG
    TDT_VOR_Data.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 77