• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS developer conference?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
By an user of the forum I was notified about this online conference for game developers:

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/altdevconf/

Would there be interest to try something similar for FS developers? Have an online conference where we can share tips and experiences?

Personally I think it would be a nice idea. The DevConf organized by Microsoft in 2007 was also a great way to learn things. Since Microsoft no longer does flight simulator, it might be an idea to organize something ourselves. And doing it online makes it easier from people from all over the world to join.

So let us know what you think. Would you be interested to join or present at such an event?

Country
puertorico
It does sound interesting..... I'd be willing to attend, and help out.

The only issue I may see is the timing, given the different time zones, but for an "event" like that I'm sure many of us would make a sacrifice.

Country
unitedstates
Most of us work, play and catch a quick nap anyhow. I average 5-6 hours of sleep a night, sometimes less.

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
The only issue I may see is the timing, given the different time zones, but for an "event" like that I'm sure many of us would make a sacrifice.
All sessions could be recorded, or at least most if some people are forced to use a platform the prevents it. The AltDev conference we're basing this off of has recorded sessions. The benefit to attending live is a chance for Q&A with the speaker immediately afterwards.

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
That's would be very good.
But I wonder how can people around the world enter the conference online together.

A

Aviasim

Multiple conference meetings to give people from every corner of the earth a chance to take part I reckon

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I think we should keep it an online conference. That is much cheaper (to organize and to attend) and people from everywhere can attend.

If you look at the AltDevConf example they organized it during a weekend at such times that american people are awake and for European people it is in the evening and only the Asian people have to get up a bit early.

Country
unitedstates
We should all get together for Christmas. Your families wont miss you, dont worry.

J/K
Seriously depending on the time of day its a great idea to collaborate and spur additional interest in this niche we call Flight Simulation.

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
Again, we can plan to have sessions recorded so while things would be scheduled to allow as many people as possible easy attendance, missing a session won't mean being unable to see it at all.

Don't just think about whether you can attend - think about whether you have something to contribute as well in the form of a session! We can probably have roundtables in addition to straight-up lectures as well.

Several formats could be:

30-minute lecture (20 min presentation, 10 min Q&A)
60-minute lecture (45 min presentation, 15 min Q&A)
30 or 60-minute roundtable

Lectures could run longer than 20 or 45 minutes if the speaker doesn't mind lack of Q&A time

Tracks could be:

Airport Design (AFCAD, AI, ground poly, etc)
Object Modeling (static objects, animated objects, buildings, texturing, etc)
Aircraft Modeling (flight dynamics, 3D modeling, texturing, etc)
Scenery Design (mesh, landclass, autogen, photoreal textures, etc)

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
I am putting together a survey right now to inure out which topics people wold be interested in.

Hi,

How about ' getting in touch with Microsoft and ask them if they would mind sellling the FS private customer licence (for normal consumers, not for businesses as they did before) and/or source codes to our community and at what price and then see if we can raise enough money and skill to improve on FSX and make FSXI' for a subject ???
They could still market it themselves for a 'small' price:).

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I first plan to run a survey to see what people who like to see in such a conference. Then we get a better idea of how many people are really interested, what kind of topics should be covered, etc.

Based on that we can then see if it is possible to organize or not. Selecting software is the next step, although Jon is exploring that field a bit already.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi all,

As mentioned above, I have put together a survey to get an idea what people would like for such a conference. So could you all please take a few minutes to fill in this survey?

http://fsdeveloper.com/survey/index.php?r=survey/index/sid/335531/lang/en

Based on the results we will decide if it is feasible and worthwhile to go ahead and organize something like this.

Thanks!

Country
unitedstates
A very good idea...

But I would also look into the possibility to have some in-person type conference down the road as well. It could be tied into one of the big Flightsim conventions (are there any?), or even gaming conferences out there so creating an entire conference would not be required.

But it my be prudent to try the online version first to see if there is a good attendance/interest.

Topics could range not only to modeling specifics but broader ideas such as:

1. Where is the market heading? Platforms - hardware-software
2. Creating online development teams
3. Going payware - how to release an add-on for profit?
4. Piracy

just my 2c

Clutch

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. Some good topics in there for a panel discussion or so. I'll put it on the list.

Having a face to face meeting is hard I think. Getting people from Europe and America at the same place is not going to be easy I think. But we could always try at the FSWeekend here in the Netherlands ;)

Country
unitedstates
Glad I could help...

I know when we had some some large company conference calls at my former company we had sometimes up to several hundred people on line. That can get quite unyielding unless properly managed/monitored, and I assume quite expensive.

I would think about some form of pre-registration, a token cost of say $1 or $2 dollars per session to help offset the cost to have some company run the actual conferences and would also provide clue on how many people will attend each session. Maybe a bit more $ for those who show up the day of the session and want to join in (say $2 instead of one). This would hpopefully get people to sign up early to give some working cash.

Again... some ideas popping into my head.