• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX mesh - need clarification

Messages
311
Country
australia
I understand what FSX mesh is but am not sure what it means when I read that a downloaded mesh file is 20m.
I am thinking that the contours are at 20 metre elevations and therefore you will see more detail in mountainous areas than say 100 metre mesh. Is that correct?
And does that mean that if the mesh is at 50 metres then all hills which are less than 50 metres high will appear flat in FSX (and hills at say 70 metres will have an elevation of 50 metres)?

I recently downloaded a mesh file for Canada which is 20 metres and after installing an island I created which used to appear completely flat at ZERO altitude now appears similar to the real island with a small hill.

What is standard FSX mesh?
 
Mesh is defined by it's resolution which is the distance between points of known elevation.

So a 20m mesh (actually 19m) will have 2 times as much data as one that is 38m.

The more data, the more accurate the display.

As for the standard FSX mesh, it varies depending on where you are, I think most of the world is 38m.

cheers,
Lane
 
Sorry Lane,

As data are not 1D linear but 2D, You'll get 4 times more data !

Most defaut areas un FSX are only 76m.

Cheers
 
Thanks guys
but
when the mesh is say 19m does that mean that the contour lines used are every 19m and that if say a hill is less than 19m high then it will appear flat (elevation 0)
and hills which are more than 19m high but less than 38 metres high will appear with an elevation of 19m ie there is a change of elevation only every 19m?

I'm not worried about how much data is used just what it actually means.
 
I think not have nothing to do with elevations, not should affect the height of the mesh. it's just the point which are mesured, 20 meters mean every 20 mts a point will be draw. if the mesh show as a flat terrain must be another problem with this mesh. it's true that exist a paremeter in the Fsx resample inf. file where a value is assigned to limit the height and depth of the mesh. but I didn't get the concept very well.
Could be the resample of this mesh were a disaster.
 
Last edited:
The mesh is a grid of data points. The resolution specifies the distance between the data points, be it N/S or E/W or one of the angular radials. It does not denote any minimum value, only the spacing.

And just to clarify, the majority of the world is at 306m resolution, with bits and pieces of higher resolution thrown in. The primary marketing areas of U.S., Canada, Europe, Japan can be found in resolutions of 76m and 38m. There's only two DVDs for installation and even at 76m for the world it would fill both those DVDs.
 
Thanks Alain

I fully understand now.


I am wondering now how people create new mesh as recently I created some scenery at Sechelt BC which included creating an island for one missing in FSX.
From another post I made here I understand that when creating an island by creating a 'hole' the 'hole' allows any underlying terrain to 'poke through) and that a water polygon will cover ANY terrain regardless of its elevation just like a 'flatten' polygon)

My newly created island appeared completely FLAT with an elevation of ZERO UNTIL I installed a 19m mesh .bgl created by someone and now my island appears (correctly) with a hill.
At first I wondered was this because mesh resolution was by elevation but now that I know that it is by pitch it seems that the author of the addon mesh must have re done all the elevations.
 
Back
Top