• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX FSX transparency not working correctly

Messages
92
Country
us-colorado
Hi all,
I've been attempting to convert gmax files built for FS9 to FSX. I have all the original gmax files and textures. As I understood it, all I needed to do was reapply the textures as Fltsim textures with the applicable Z test, etc settings I learned from my earlier post. I'm having issues when importing those objects to FSX. The textures aren't applying correctly. They show correctly in GMax, but not when being put into the sim. I've attached one of the problem objects. It's a fence, with 2 different textures applied. One is the fence links and the other is for the posts. I've enclosed all the files necessary to view in GMax and FSX, to include my mdl file. Can someone please take a look to see what I'm doing wrong? The fence links are showing the second texture applied to the posts and not the fence links. I have a series of other objects I'm having this same problem with. Is this the draw call order thing? I have other objects I've reapplied textures to in the same way and not having any issues with them.
Thanks,
Eric
 

Attachments

Hi,

I see two things in your MDL file.

First only one texture is used, while you have two in your GMax file. So I think something went wrong with your multi materials.

Second I don't see the alpha channel being used, did you use the "Set default transparent" button on the material?

For performance it would be even better to try to use only 1 texture sheet on the object, instead of two.
 
OK, I'm still having issues. That means I don't understand how to reapply the texture so I'll explain fully, so you can point out my error.
1. Open FS9 object with duffuse and ambient textures applied.
2. Determine which materials are applied to a part of my object (in this case I have 2 of them applied to 4 parts) using the Pick option on Material Editor
3. In Material Editor, select New, FlightSimX, and then add appropriate textures under diffuse and self-illumination settings. Scroll down for settings: Set Default Transparent, Check box for Z-Test Alpha, Alpha Test Level to around 128, Alpha Test Mode is set to Greater, Z-Alpha Write box checked.
4. Select portion of object I wish to retexture and make sure the part is unwrapped UWV.
5. Select Edit under Parameters on the Modify Panel to bring up the Edit UWV GUI.
6. The GUI is gray so I select the upper right corner to Pick Texture
7. The gmax material navigator opens and I select the Applied radio button to see the materials already applied.
8. I select one (in this case Map #5 pico_fence_links.bmp) and select Ok.
9. In the gmax material navigator, the texture is now showing and it shows correctly in gmax still.
10. Repeat items 2-9 for the second part with second set of textures
11. Select all parts, apply friendly GUID name and set no crashes for AttachPointTool under the FS Tools menu.
12. Export the model to FSX and use Instant Scenery 2 to build a library and place the file.

My results are that I'm only seeing the second texture applied (pico_2.bmp) and the fence links are not showing.

Based on results this is wrong, but not sure how to set this correctly using more than one texture applied to a part (multi-material). I thought using the other 2 options (Standard, multi-material) were only good for parts without transparencies in FSX. When I attempt to select Multi Material, I'm not seeing the rest of the options under the Material Editor. If I don't modify how my textures are applied on parts without a transparency, then I've noticed my night lighting is not right.

My next question is if there is an easier way than selecting each part separately to retexture them. This is a simple model with 4 parts. I have other models for this scenery which are way more complicated. I read the PDF found in another post for converting from FS9 to FSX and I think Ed had the same question I do.
Eric
 
Last edited:
Make sure you don't have any duplicate material names in Gmax.
 
That was the problem! Both were labeled material #0. I renamed to match the textures and the problem went away. Thank you!
Eric
 
Back
Top