• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXAnimation script not working

Messages
8
Country
southafrica
Hi,
I have a problem linking animations to FS. I am using Quad Core PC, 4gig ram, Windows x64 Home Premium, Gmax.
Gmax with FS 9 SDK animations would not work for me.
I purchased FSX Gold with Acceleration pack cd package, installed FSX and Acceleration, then activated online.
Installed FSX SDK from Disc 1, then SP1a, then SDK from Acceleration disc.
Copied FSX_GmaxGamePack to GMax gamepacks folder.
Created a Gmax basic box model with keyframe animated wheels and rotor. No textures, no scaling, all objects aligned to world, animated local view.
When I try to create the FS animation, nothing happens when I use the "Create" key.
Uninstalled FSX SDK, re-installed from Gold disc, downloaded and installed SP1a. No joy.
Installed SP2. No joy.
Same result, no action with "Create" key.
Re-read http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/read-first-fsx-sdk-installation-all-versions.8285/,
Ah ha. Must update windows.
Uninstall SDK. Update Windows. Clear folders. Disable Anti-Virus. Re-install from discs.
Install to default directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK
  • :banghead:
Still no joy. What am I doing wrong? It has to be something simple that I missed.
See image, the "Create" button marked in blue does nothing.
Capture1.jpg
 
The first thing you have to check is that the SDK is working, you should go to Fsx game and in the inside Fsx game menú , look for the SDK menú tool, if it is there is a good signal that is working, once checking this you can work with gmax. have you tried with a more simple animation like a rotation, and anímate tag ?, to check if the SDK gamepack is working. sorry but about animation I can't be of more help
 
Hi,
thanks for trying .
Tried opening FSX, would not work after updating Windows, gave MSXML 4.0 SP2 not found error.
Re-install FSX from scratch. Re-install FSX SDK. Re-install FSX SDK SP1A.
Run FSX, can't find any mention of SDK anywhere, don't know where I should look.
My problem still in Gmax FSAnimate script. The problem is not Gmax, but possibly related to MSXML 4.0
The animations I am trying to test are the simplest that I can think of, a wheel turning and a rotor turning.
I need to have both in the model I am trying to build.
 
Just a stab in the dark. I assume you have reviewed all the animation tutorials via "The Google".

Your names of objects are the same as the animations? Would that confuse the export? Have not used GMAX in a long time.

GUID and friendly name set?
Hi,
I have gone crazy trying to get the correct info, most queries direct to Avsim forum which is down. Microsoft now has X box, so no joy there.
I started with FS 9 which would not export animations, Tom advised I get FSX with Accelerator pack on cd, which I was very lucky to get for only $16 delivered to my door.
It should work. If you look at the image above you will find that I named the animations as per the modeldef, although from what I have read the name is not critical.
This image of the file properties shows Friendly name and Guid. http://cabs4u.co.za/images/file props.jpg
I am beginning to wonder if Windows X64 7 Home Premium may be the problem. This software may require Windows 7 Professional as the FSX SDK is a developer product.
Can anybody let me know if they are using 7 Home Premium for this application? Gmax or Max3ds?
The Gmax exports interior.mdl and exterior.mdl no problem, obviously no animations as the FSXAnimation script is not tagging the animations. A script issue?
I followed the instructions on Tom's post to the letter. The "Create" button not working stopped me dead.
BTW, thanks for your time.
 
Last edited:
Fsx work great with Windows 7, take into account that fsx and SDK was created before Windows 7 if I'm not wrong. And Fsx Acceleration have been working for me since Windows vista, windows7 and W8.1 which I never would get but come along with machine.
have you tried to make a rotating object ? just to check. make the rotating object, and apply a "anímate" tag . make a box, play auto key in the animation tool, and slide the key to the frame 100, rotate directly the box as you want, deselect autokey and take a look to the animation tool to see if you can créate the animation, of course it's not the right way to make rotationg object but just to check
Sorry if I can't explain better, to see if the skd is working , inside Fsx, key Alt, and in the menú tab, you shold see the "tool" menú, next to "help" menú.

Edit: Hey, It no would be a screen resolution problem ?, how have you set the resolution of the screen , to médium ?¡
 
Last edited:
GMAX works fine with 64 bit - I have windows 8.1. I just created a simple box with a rotating cube above it. Made an mdl and added to FSX. Works.

I pressed Update Sel a couple times before Create. Make sure you have the key frame set to 0. (I see you do) It works if you see rotor_blur in the Object Anims.

The engine should be running for the rotor blur animation to be seen.

I also added a dummy to the maodel. I did some LOD naming. Not sure if that matters.
 
Last edited:
Hi again, thanks a lot for your help guys, I really do appreciate it.

I did an install on my wife's laptop (Vista) no problem at all. All scripts working perfectly.

This tells me that I have done the install correctly, but there is a problem with my PC.

None of the scrips in FS tools are actually working on my X64, I can now see how they are supposed to work on the Vista machine.

My FS 9 animations wouldn't work on the x64.

I probably have a software conflict somewhere, I am going to try the clean boot option and see if I can find the culprit, else it is re-format drive and new Windows install, start from scratch again.

Case closed, but you will probably hear from me again down the line somewhere,

Bruce

"just because I KNOW that Microsoft is out to get me, doesn't mean that I am paranoid."
 
Reinstall everything if you must (shudders) but look the Wiki here about the FSX SDK for the best guide on installing and troubleshooting anywhere.

Win7 is not a problem, I used to develop on Home Premium 64-bit and now use Ultimate: neither gave any trouble.
 
Reinstall everything if you must (shudders) but look the Wiki here about the FSX SDK for the best guide on installing and troubleshooting anywhere.

Win7 is not a problem, I used to develop on Home Premium 64-bit and now use Ultimate: neither gave any trouble.

Hi Tom,

Thanks again, I found that out. See below

  • :greenflag UPDATE - SOLUTION FOUND :wizard:

Did clean boot, run Gmax. Same problem.

Extreme measures called for.

Back up all my work, did complete format of hard drive.

Used Linux on flash disc to initially clean C drive, then used Linux to format drive completely.

Did this because Windows 7 will not do complete format, it retains information from previous install and builds on that.

I needed a clean drive.

Re-install Windows 7 as a new install. Activated Windows.

Installed FSX. Activated FSX.

Installed FSX Accelerate. Activated FSXX.

Installed FSX SDK.

Installed Gmax from FSX disc 1.

Installed SDK SP1A from Accelerator disc.

Tried Gmax. SAME PROBLEM.

Installed Accelerator SDK.

Tried Gmax. SAME PROBLEM.

With no other possible conflicting software installed, as I had not installed anything else, I was stumped.

If the free Gmax doesn't work lets try the paid package, 3DS Max, also from Autodesk

So I downloaded and installed 3DS Max 2011, tickled it with a hairpin and got 3DS Max working.

BUT, the SDK plugins provided by Microsoft SDK do not work on 3DS Max 2011, only on earlier versions.

DO NOT BUY 3DS MAX 2011 FOR FSX work, unless someone updates the plugins.

This is not going to happen

A great package, but not for FSX.

Gmax worked on the Vista machine, it must work on Windows 7.

Solution - Uninstall Gmax, delete all folders, run CCleaner to clear potential registry issue.

Install the same Gmax that I had used on the Vista machine, A DOWNLOAD, NOT THE ONE OFF THE DISC.

Copy the SDK to Gmax Gamepack folder and fire up GMax.

  • -:wave: Ta Ra - VOILA - WORKING - Hallee@%^&*+luja - Whoopee ding !!!!! :greenflag

The Gmax download is the same version as the one on the FS 9 and FSX disc, but for some reason the one on the disc does not work.

The biggest problem I had was that I trusted Microsoft. We have all had bad download experiences, so if there is a choice between a Microsoft approved package bundled with their product, or a download, most people would choose Microsoft.

The reason I used the download on the Vista is because Microsoft updates will possibly block access to files on disc, making them difficult, if not impossible to load.

This is the case with my Vista machine. My Windows 7 X64 machine was battling to read discs as well after all updates. Worked like a bomb again after clean Windows 7 install.

STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS UPDATES. Once installed previous restore points are erased.

You can un-install updates one at a time, but you can't go back to a previously working state.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My trust in Microsoft cost me weeks of lost production, searching for solutions in forums, installing, uninstalling, believing that my ignorance was the problem, I must be doing something wrong, every one else was using the product no problem.

How many other potential developers have tried in vain to get Gmax working and given up?

In fairness to Microsoft, they did take Gmax off in SP1A. Because of space???? And they do tell you to download Gmax.

I believe they did that because they were aware of the problem, but did nothing to rectify it. After all, it was a free, 3rd party extension, you shouldn't complain if it doesn't work properly. It's not Microsoft.

I will go a step further, I believe the Gmax on the disc was purposely sabotaged to discredit Gmax (Both my discs, FS9 and FSX Gmax are faulty), as it came at a time when the internet was booming, FS popularity was at a peak and forums would be full of complaints about a really great, free package.

This may have boosted 3DS Max sales

"Now that you know that Microsoft is after you, does that make you paranoid?"

BTW, do not search for Autodesk "hairpins". Your PC WILL get trashed.

If you find similar problems on any of the forums, animations erratic or not working at all, display not working properly, scripts not working, autogrid erratic, background images not displaying properly are all symptoms of using the Gmax from the FS discs, please refer to this post, I believe it may help solve other issues as well.

Best regards to all.

Bruce
 
Bruce, while I am pleased to learn you have GMax working properly now, I cannot help but note two things:
  1. No legal version of Max is "downloadable."
  2. There has been an ".x file" export module for Max 2011 freely available ever since Prepar3Dv1 SDK was released around 8/10/2012: Max2011_FSModelExp.dle
 
Bruce, while I am pleased to learn you have GMax working properly now, I cannot help but note two things:
  1. No legal version of Max is "downloadable."
  2. There has been an ".x file" export module for Max 2011 freely available ever since Prepar3Dv1 SDK was released around 8/10/2012: Max2011_FSModelExp.dle
Hi Bill,

See this site http://www.autodesk.co.za/products/3ds-max/free-trial, free trials of most of their products are available for download and trust me, they have some awesome products.

Very expensive, but full of features and user friendly.

I am pleased to know that there is now a ".x file" export module available for 3DS Max.

For a newcomer to FSX or FS9 like myself the plugins that are available for Gmax and the earlier 3DS Max are almost essential, we need all the help we can get.

The point I wanted to make after using 3DS Max as a test, was that the plugins, as provided by Microsoft on the FSX disc, do not work on the later versions of 3DS Max.

This means that a large part of the tutorial provided is invalid. Any "newbie", like myself will have to plod through pages of forums in the hope of finding the information to make his/her 3DS Max version export the model to FS.

I hope to save them that frustration.


There is also a ".x file" exporter for Blender, which is a free, very powerful 3D modelling package, but is way more difficult to learn than Gmax.

Calgari's Truespace, belongs to Microsoft, has the ".x file" exporter function, also free as support is no longer available.

There are a number of free modelling software packages, file format converters etc., like this one http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/download-modelconverterx.14215/ that will create the required ".x file" format from almost any modelling package.

Creating the 3D model is a challenge in itself, no matter which software package is used.

Having the plugins that are designed to get your model working in FS will ease some of the learning pains.

Microsoft has only selected two of these to provide basic tutorials, Gmax and 3DS Max. If these do not work, the "newbie" is lost.

The fact is, that both options on the FSX discs do not work "out of the box", which is what one expects when you purchase a Microsoft product.

Regards,

Bruce
 
See this site http://www.autodesk.co.za/products/3ds-max/free-trial, free trials of most of their products are available for download and trust me, they have some awesome products.
Bruce, I was attempting to be discrete. The link you now point to is indeed a trial version of Max, but that is for 2015, not this which you stated you had downloaded:
So I downloaded and installed 3DS Max 2011, tickled it with a hairpin and got 3DS Max working.
Mentions and/or discussions of "hairpins" are discouraged here. :tongue-ti
 
Hi Bill,

To the best of my knowledge, forums are designed to share knowledge and assist people with similar interests, to overcome problems that they may be having.

This I have done in good faith.

I have shared the knowledge and the experience that I have gained.

I had a problem and I solved it.

In the process I discovered another problem, related to the Gmax problem I was having, which I felt obliged to inform potential users about.

The link I directed you to has been up for years, I downloaded 3DS Max from there in 2011, found no use for it, but still have the downloaded package.

I want Gmax to work for me because it is the easiest package that will get my FSX model working. It is also free and legal.

If I have offended you in any way, I apologize. If you feel upset that I am able to use the product for free, yet you had to pay a large amount of money, I don't blame you.

Fact is, I don't even want to use the free trial version that I have, I only tested it because I was unable to get Gmax working.

Now I have Gmax working I intend to remove 3DS Max from my PC.

Or maybe not. Can still use it as a file converter, along with MCX, to convert Inventor, Revit, Cad, .max, solidworks, DAE, OBJ. and other file formats to 3DS, and import the 3DS files into Gmax should the need arise. There are a lot of free models available in different formats that I may want to use.

And Tom, if you read this, thanks for that link, it says it all.

Gmax is by far the easiest route to a WORKING FSX model, especially for a person like myself that has no 3D modelling knowledge or experience.

That is why I want my Gmax working.

You can keep 3DS Max, you paid enough for it.
 
Just sayin' - be careful

Now I have Gmax working I intend to remove 3DS Max from my PC.

Or maybe not. Can still use it as a file converter,

8. Evaluation/Demonstration/Trial. If Autodesk identifies the License Type as a “demonstration”, “evaluation”, “trial,” “not for resale” or “NFR” version (each, an “Evaluation License”) in the applicable License Identification, Licensee may Install a copy of the specific release of the Licensed Materials designated in the applicable License Identification on one (1) Computer, subject to certain functional limitations described in Section 6.3 (Affected Data), on a Stand-alone Basis, and permit Access to such copy of the Licensed Materials, solely by Licensee’s Personnel, solely for Evaluation Purposes, only so long as the maximum number of concurrent Authorized Users does not exceed one (1), and only from Licensee’s work location. An Evaluation License is for a fixed term specified in the applicable License Identification, or if no such term is specified, the term is thirty (30) days from Installation or as otherwise authorized in writing by Autodesk.

Maybe for 30 days ..... :stirthepo

Or Maybe the licence agreement you clicked on had something different. You read it right?
 
Just sayin' - be careful



8. Evaluation/Demonstration/Trial. If Autodesk identifies the License Type as a “demonstration”, “evaluation”, “trial,” “not for resale” or “NFR” version (each, an “Evaluation License”) in the applicable License Identification, Licensee may Install a copy of the specific release of the Licensed Materials designated in the applicable License Identification on one (1) Computer, subject to certain functional limitations described in Section 6.3 (Affected Data), on a Stand-alone Basis, and permit Access to such copy of the Licensed Materials, solely by Licensee’s Personnel, solely for Evaluation Purposes, only so long as the maximum number of concurrent Authorized Users does not exceed one (1), and only from Licensee’s work location. An Evaluation License is for a fixed term specified in the applicable License Identification, or if no such term is specified, the term is thirty (30) days from Installation or as otherwise authorized in writing by Autodesk.

Maybe for 30 days ..... :stirthepo

Or Maybe the licence agreement you clicked on had something different. You read it right?

Hi ,

I believe we are now beyond the scope of this forum, which is about FS, not licence agreements.

I will spell it out for you.

I experienced FS problem with Gmax a free Autodesk product. It did not work in FS9 or FSX. Period.

Microsoft pushes 3DS Max. Because I had re-formatted my drive I was able to re-install a free trial version of Max, which I have had for years.

Max did not work for me either.

Technically I have evaluated the product twice and found it unsuitable for my purposes. Once for production engineering and once for FS

I have highlighted the reason why it may be unsuitable for other users that only want to create a working FS model.

See this post, http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...l/microsoft-flight-simulator-fsx/td-p/4206820.

Guy paid $3800 for a product that would not do what he needed, create a FSX model

I do not advocate the use of pirate software, in fact I provided a discrete warning in my original post as to what may occur should any person even search for a workaround to bypass the trial expiration period of the demonstration package, never mind actually install such a tool.

[BTW, do not search for Autodesk "hairpins". Your PC WILL get trashed.]
Autodesk provide an awesome array of modelling products, each directed at specific users. I have used Autodesk Inventor in an engineering production environment. Believe me, it is hard to beat, but, in my humble opinion, not suitable for FS either.

If you need a modelling tool, Autodesk is bound to have one for you, if you can afford the licence fees.

You obviously can.

Please direct any further licence related issues to my private mail, we do not need to bore forum visitors with articles unrelated to FS
 
Last edited:
Back
Top