• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX FWTools GeoTiff Question

Messages
106
Country
us-virginia
I have a PNG file that I created in the Wilbur editor and I'm wondering how I would convert the file into a GeoTiff format. Here's a screenshot of the thing. The image is a 512 square that stretches 6,000 feet in both directions, going 11 feet above sea level.

sample_terrain.PNG

How do I convert this to GeoTiff using FWTools?
 
Does the tool you use provide information on where on earth the image should be located?

You probably need to use gdal_translate to add the location information. There is some information about this on the wiki.
 
The only thing I know about Wilbur is how to set the image resolution (eg: pixels per foot by setting the number of pixels (in this case 512 x 512) and the bounds of the image (in this case 6,000 feet by 6,000 feet)) and terrain elevation. I'll check out the wiki and post back, thanks.
 
No, the GeoTiff I'm wanting to make will be referenced in an INF to be compiled by the FSX SDK (is it resample that does the compiling?).
 
yes, resample.exe, but what kind of format you will get? I guess you want a mesh, I say so because I think you can get only a model from the willbur program, though don't know the program.
 
I got a PNG file from Wilbur. I want to convert it to GeoTiff for the resample.exe tool (to make a BGL file) in the FSX SDK. And I'm curious as to which FWTools' command does that.
 
Last edited:
For just the elevation the file you made should be enough. But if you want to alter terrain types as well you probably need some terrain polygons or landclass.
 
It wouldn't seem that hard to zip the PNG file and attach it to a post. Then there wouldn't be a need for guessing.

Dick
 
It wouldn't seem that hard to zip the PNG file and attach it to a post. Then there wouldn't be a need for guessing.

Dick
Except I'm busy with about 5 other projects in addition to this one. Actually, this particular project (Tereana City Superspeedway) is comprised of 3 sub-projects and only one of the sub-projects is relevant to the flight simulator, but the geometry of all three sub-projects must match each other exactly (a task that is proving difficult).

Something else is that the PNG elevation data shape (made with Wilbur) does not match the shape of the airport terrain polygon (made with ADE).
 
Last edited:
Pixel width and height must be greater than zero.
Unable to open data source.
Failed to create data source.

I'm not sure what happened. I followed the instructions in the wiki section linked to me, so how did I get this error? Shouldn't the thing have auto-calculated pixel size?
 
Hi,

I am also not sure what is happening there, I haven't seen those errors before. You might want to check the geotiff width and height with gdalinfo.

Or else include your files here, so that somebody here can look at them.
 
Okay. Here's the file. The gdalinfo I got on my GeoTiff is confusing, but I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the file needs min and max elevation values. It appears that my image doesn't have those.
 

Attachments

Has anyone been able to find where I went wrong with this geotiff? I followed the instructions on how to use gdal_translate on this page but the FSX resample tool cannot read the geotiff file.
 
Back
Top