• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Gp 0.82

The issue appears to be the way FSX displays ground polys in top down view.

On my system, at least, in top down view with only the single (southern) poly in the compile, it disappeared whenever I tried to zoom below a point where the width of the poly was > about 10% of the screen. In cockpit view and tower views, the poly was solidly displayed even with the eye-point only a foot or so above the surface.

I have noticed a similar effect on other ground polys. I have no idea what causes it. (I'm just thankful the display is OK in most/all other view modes.)

That being said, I did discover an issue with texture scaling. It doesn't appear to be involved in this issue. I suspect it would only affect the display if the texture has mipmaps.

Please check whether this is consistent with your systems.

Don
 
Please check whether this is consistent with your systems.

Don

No, it certainly isn't. If I have only the southern polyon and line I see absolurely nothing in top-down view (at any zoom), nor in cockpit nor spot views.

Norman confirms my findings.
 
It's not clear what more I can do. I've told you the result I'm getting - and I've just removed the changes I've made to confirm they are not playing a role.

If it displays at all on my system, that would seem to confirm that the compiler is generating correct code. So, that would suggest the problem lies elsewhere. Perhaps you both have some add-on on your systems that is interfering.

Don
 
When things are not displaying in top down view (or only visible at large zoom values) but are visible in other views, this is usually still due to an elevation issue. And the difference in elevations between Don's situation (not in top view) and George's (not visible at all) can often be a matter of less than an inch. You two really have the same problem, it's just a tiny bit more severe on George's computer.

So while the GP code is indeed being generated, it appears that ADE is placing them at a very slightly incorrect elevation? Rounding error or similar?
 
We're both using the same flatten. And, ground elevation is unlikely to change based on whether or not a poly is displayed near the ARP. (GP elevation is always 0)

My guess is its some other add-on affecting FSX. Remember, FSX has no native ground poly display code. It would seem by sheer accident that we're able to use GPs at all in FSX. Perhaps it's something to do with the photoscenery?

Don
 
I have no photo scenery in my FSX and his file is doing the same thing. I can create a new line there at the default airport and it doesn't show up. I have even removed the default apron in the area and they *still* don't show up on the bare ground.
 
Tom, are you saying you can duplicate George's problem?

When I said "We're both using the same flatten" I was referring to George and me.

Don
 
Last edited:
As requested!

Don
 

Attachments

  • See - No Hands, Ma.jpg
    See - No Hands, Ma.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 596
  • Closeup.jpg
    Closeup.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 611
I don't see any line, only the ADE apron.

That's your ground poly (I deleted the ADE poly to improve visibility once I realized that it - which was almost the same color - was obscuring the appearance/disappearance of the ground poly. As for the line, maybe a few bits fell off crossing the Atlantic, but its there (white on gray doesn't give a lot of contrast).

Don
 
It looks ok here when I keep the poly at the ARP.

Zoomed-out:



Zoomed-in:



As I said, I see absolutely nothing when there is no poly at the ARP.
 
I heard you the first time!

You can see clearly from my screenshots that I don't need a poly at the ARP in order for the southernmost one to display. That's the whole issue - as I understand it.

I have no idea what it is on yours and Norman's system that is preventing that poly from displaying when there isn't another poly at the ARP. But I am absolutely certain that its got nothing to do with the ADE-GP compiler-generated code.

Don
 
I think I'll let Tom decide whether or not he is experiencing the problem. If he is, perhaps he can shed some light on it.

Don
 
Don,

I thought I did? I am indeed having the same problem, using a plain default FSX. I did it two ways - I compiled George's BGL file, and I loaded the stock airport and created my own GP objects. None of them showed up at that location in either case. I didn't try other locations nor did I try putting one at the ARP.

I also mentioned that you said you could not see it in top view when it was quite small on the screen (i.e. you are very far away). This suggests that the problem *for both of you* is an elevation problem, but that it is manifesting itself less severely on your machine than it is on George's, Norman's, and mine. But only a fraction of an inch difference in elevations can convert a situation from what Don sees to what George sees, so the variance can be very small, perhaps a video card difference?

I have seen similar display variations before between machines, and my guess is that some video cards are more particular about displaying objects at slightly different elevations than others are. Oddly enough, it may be that the newer the card/driver, the more particular it is.

But whatever the cause, I do believe that the error that both of you see is due to some elevation error, which is fixed by placing a GP object on the ARP. This is probably an ADE error (if it is an error at all), rather than a GP error. It might just be a bug in FSX...

BTW, I will be on vacation from now until the second week in July, with only sporadic Internet access.
 
So while the GP code is indeed being generated, it appears that ADE is placing them at a very slightly incorrect elevation? Rounding error or similar?

I assume this refers to the GP function since the ADE side of things makes no reference to altitude. It passes the current ARP coordinates to the compiler.
 
My inference was incorrect :o

The southern GPs will display if any of the other GPs are present.

To ensure that it isn't a flatten proiblem, I added an ADE flatten to cover the whole of the airfield.

Anybody, can you try compiling the attached ADE file.

George
 

Attachments

I do not see them George. My system is Accel Stock with no third party mesh etc.

image292.png


image293.png


image294.png
 
Back
Top