• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

GPS map problem

Hello, i'm struggling since days with this problem. I am making a gps map (fs9gps) and i set my own custom draw elevation colors. Everything works fine, but if i set the <TerrainShadow> to 1, colors are messed up.
See image below. Any ideas?! The gauge is working ok and everything else is ok.

ss.jpg

Country
thailand
Any ideas?!

No simple cure, or parameter selection for this that I'm aware of. You can edit your color palette to derive a set that works with TerrainShadow=1, or use one of the palettes shown on page 34 of the fsmap guidebook. This particular issue is described on pg 36.

Bob

Country
us-california
I've just been getting into some slightly more serious tweaking of my FSX mods, and the GPS was next on the list. In fiddling with the graphics to model the Honeywell systems, I came across this post and Bob's most excellent guidebook (Thank You ever so much for that, by the way!) I noticed when using TerrainShadow that when the colors go all wonky, the color is often inverted, so I did more testing.

It appears that the GPS module is applying a very simplistic value shift to each color channel, such that if the value is too extreme toward the dark or light end for that color (B, G or R), TerrainShadow's overlay will shift it right out of bounds (beyond 0x00 or 0xFF). When this happens, the value apparently loops back around to the opposite end of the range; thus the (partial) inversion of colors.

Here's the nitty-gritty: when creating a custom color scheme for fs9gps, the values for your blue, green and red channels must each fall within the range from 0x34 (decimal 52) to 0xDF (decimal 223). These appear to be hard limits; in my short testing, everything looks perfectly fine right up to these values, but go one step beyond and your map colors look like the circus is in town. I took the colors listed for Honeywell's TAWS in FSMAP Guidebook and painted them into a test image in Photoshop, then applied a Levels filter to limit values to the above range. Using the Levels filter also scales the in-range values to keep the over-all colors essentially the same. It may not be totally realistic, but now I've got the option for a TAWS map with crisp color separation and shaded relief as I fly in Death Valley National Park. (image below flying at 3,100', Furnace Creek (L06) is at -100')

Screenshot.jpg

(I haven't yet finished the code to fix the color of my aircraft cursor, btw.)

Cheers!
Dave {|:–)

Last edited: