• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

ground polygon problems

Messages
68
Country
unitedstates
Hi everyone. I'm having a problem in my gmax made polygons lately. Hope everyone can understand this because it's a bit confusing. Ok, here's my observation: if I export it the regular way, it appears on FSX ok, of course with the flickering buggers. Now if I do the ADDCAT tweak on the ASM file, the polygon just appears as a black shape. This what makes it more confusing: if I redo everything this time applying the ADDCAT tweak and relocating everything their respectable folders (including textures), it works ok when I run FSX, but there's a problem: a shadow appears on the polygon, although I deleted the SHADOW string stuff.
I've provided all the raw sources(the ASM files are the tweaked ones, so you have to generate the original files), and attached a picture of what it looks like. This is in Bush Intercontinental/KIAH @ runway 9. I modified the AFCAD so it would align my shape, so probably it will not align on yours.

Thanks everyone for help and replies.
 
Last edited:
Update

Ok here's an update. After I posted the thread above, I re-exported everything (that means new ASM files, all that stuff). This time I edited the ASM files adding the ADDCAT command, reassembled everything then straight to FSX. The attached picture is the result. As I have expected, it will work well. The thing is when I take off, the surface is not concrete, it's like dirt or something. Guess I'll just use the platform effect on the FSX SDK then. One more thing that I haven't mentioned earlier is that I followed Bill Womack's tutorial (if I spelled his name right), with the stuff editing the TEXTURE_AIRCRAFT call to *_BUILDING and changing the texture extension to .dds in the _0.asm file. Same thing happens as the earlier one did. :confused::confused::confused:

Hope anyone of you can help me with this
Thanks a lot
 
Last edited:
Hi,

That they turn black normally indicates texture trouble. The only thing I noticed in your attached textures was that they don't have mipmaps. You might want to try to add those as well.
 
Sorry, I overlooked the mipmapping part. However when I did it, it shows no difference. And what does it mean that my textures may have some problems? I don't really get that part. I'll try to do more experiments to find that bugger. I'll post something if I've got it. Meanwhile, if anyone knows what the problem may be or has a solution, posting it will be appreciated
 
Hi,

It sounds like you did everything right, but it things don't show up something must be wrong here :). I don't know exactly what at this moment though.
 
Are your textures the correct size eg 1024x1024, 512x256 etc. This has fooled me more than once!
 
Yes, all my textures are in 1024x1024. Oh, how about texture compression? Does it have any effect on this problem? Another thing that I noticed when this happen is when I newly compiled the bgl, export to FSX then run it (of course it works fine) then if change the surface type of a runway using ADE, or FSXPlanner, then fire FSX again, that black thing happens.

Weird enough for everyone?
I almost lost my head, in all the possible solutions that I can get. Well, I'll keep trying. I'll try other approaches. One more thing, is there any possible way that I could use decimal heading in FS 02 MakeMDL? What I noticed is that MakeMDL removes the decimal values of the heading. Let's say, if I put 89.9, MakeMDL will cosider it as 89, and most runways use decimal headings.

Thanks for help
 
About your dirt problem - ADDCAT ground polys don't impose their own surface type, they're purely visual. In order to have an actual concrete surface under your concrete poly, the quickest route is to use an AFCAD surface. The polys cover it up, so it just provides the necessary data for the sim to recognize the ground as concrete.
 
One more thing, is there any possible way that I could use decimal heading in FS 02 MakeMDL? What I noticed is that MakeMDL removes the decimal values of the heading. Let's say, if I put 89.9, MakeMDL will cosider it as 89, and most runways use decimal headings.

No, that is an annoying bug in MakeMDL. You can only achieve it by editing the ASM code afterwards manually and interesting the correct heading. The problem here is that the heading is stored as a hexadecimal number, so not so easy to edit.
 
Back
Top