• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Having trouble with PCL

Country
unitedstates
I am generating an array with the intent of operating it with pilot control lighting effects, specifically the ADF radio. The generation of the array and the library are happening without error. I am updating my scenery folder with the new bgl files. However the lights are on, even when the radio is not tuned to the correct frequency.

Attached is the asm file for the models and it appears to show the correct conditions.

Any ideas about things to look for in troubleshooting?

Thanks

Attachments

• %Approach_Green_32L.asm.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 426

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
You have entered only the upper frequency limit for the ADF. So the lights will be on for any frequency below that. You must enter both an upper and a lower limit.

Don

Country
unitedstates
Don,

I deleted all the elements, ini files, etc. and recreated the array with the parameters in the attached asm file. Still the lights are on with a fresh flight and ADF tuned to something outside the range. Anything else I show look for?

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• %Approach_Green_32L.asm.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 416

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Are you sure the value you entered for ADF Frequency is correct for the frequency selected. AFLT has no knowledge of the 'scaling" of the inputs.

Don

Country
unitedstates
From the below forum post, it appears to be very straightforward:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/variables-available-in-fs.332/

"So, I tested some values for the ADF extended version.
The complete ADF freq is split up into 2 variables: 7BCh (3 digit) and 7C6h (1 digit after the decimal sign).

7C6 is used like this: for XXX.3 MHz, value is 3h.

To check the whole Freq, you can use the IFIN2 command to check both variables.

So I think all the frequency vars are intended to be used in Hex-Format. (better readability)

I tested also the Transponder variable 7C4h:
it's true...for Transponder = 1427 , the value is 1427h!

Thanks for keeping it simple MS!"

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
To check the whole Freq, you can use the IFIN2 command to check both variables.
To be honest, I hadn't appreciated that ADF frequency consumed two words. But, that's not the issue, since the tenths are ignored. Based on the second file you sent me and after reviewing the referenced post, any ADF frequency in the range 680.0 - 682.9 should trigger PCL and any other frequency should turn the lights off - in the daytime. During dusk, night and dawn, the lights will always be on unless you define airport operating hours.

If that's not what you are experiencing, I need to investigate why - but it may be a few days because I am otherwise occupied at the moment with a family matter.

Please note that AFLT does not restrict you to radio frequencies - though these are likely the most frequently used. You may use any variable (word) accessible to scenery. I appreciate that I could easily check two variables. But, to do so would add complexity to the user interface which I am reluctant to do without good cause.

Don

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
Henry, I was able to check the operation of PCL when controlled by ADF frequency. You didn't send me your Library folder, so I couldn't check at your airport. But, it seems to work correctly at one of mine. The lights come on - in the daytime - whenever the ADF is tuned between 680.0 and 682.9 - which is what you had programmed - and are off otherwise. (You may want them on in the daytime in low visibility conditions.) As I said in my earlier note, they are always on from dusk through dawn unless you also implement airport operating hours. Without that, it is assumed that the airport operates 24/7.

Knowing now that ADF frequency spans two variables, I plan to check both (for ADF only). In the meantime, the ADF tenth's will be ignored.

Don

Country
unitedstates
Don, thanks for checking it out. I just was able to read both of your posts. The salient part is that the lights on after dusk independent of the ADF frequency. This is a misunderstanding on my part.

Perhaps I might tell you what I am trying to accomplish. My scenery is of KNLC NAS Lemoore. For carrier landing practice, they turn off all the runways lights except a special pattern called "Carrier Deck Lighting (CDL)" that mimics the night lighting on an aircraft carrier deck. Usually, either one or the other is on, rarely both. Attached is a snapshot a friend of mine took with ATC joking around with him.

Obviously I can make this switch between lighting modes with a batch file while offline of FSX. But would prefer that the pilot be able to do it in a more interactive way.

Any ideas?
ResizedImage_1403315187950.jpg

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
If you want the lights normally off, set the airport operating hours to some daytime period. But, I should warn you that defining operating hours may put a significant additional load on your system if your lighting system is complex. If there are two separate systems, make two libraries with the appropriate (but different) PCL scenarios in effect when you create the libraries.

Don