• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How do I make a paintkit?

Francois

FSDevConf team
Messages
280
Country
italy
The 'issue' is that my plane designer only delivers .bmp files of his paints and I think our 'audience' wants psd files. Can I just change the file format? That does sound too simple, but you never know......
 
A layered paintkit would have the panel lines on one .psd layer, the rivets on a second, the dirt on a third etc. BMP files 'flatten' all that information on to one layer :( and the process is not reversible.

Sorry!
 
I kinda figured. Okay, so I'll continue pulling his strings to get the layers.
 
I kinda figured. Okay, so I'll continue pulling his strings to get the layers.

The "ideal paintkit" will include the "raw mesh" as the base layer (bottom-most); essentially a "wire-frame" view of the UVW layout. This allows the (re)painter to know precisely where the edge boundaries are for each object.

Next up would be a "base paint" layer which simply provides a neutral background.

Then would follow layers with "decorations," lines, rivets, shading, etc.
 
Thanks Bill. Way over my head of course, but I have mailed Simon to ask for 'more'. Maybe he just uses MS Paint? :p I myself use Fireworks which I bought years ago, and so I 'understand' layers. But never had the money for Photoshop.
 
Francois, GIMP is freeware, and handles layered PSD files (Adobe format) with panache, or so I've been told anyway...

GIMP has most all of Photoshop's advanced features from what I've read. ;)
 
Ah yes, GIMP. Actually, I have that installed..... but as you know, people are the worst beings for 'change' so I stuck with Fireworks so far (which also does layers, but hasn't all the special tricks PS has).

I'll see what Simon is using and maybe point him to GIMP if he doesn't have a layers tool (which would surprise me in fact!)
 
Back
Top