• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How To Make Runways With FSDS or Gmax

Country
jamaica
Hi all I am doing a scenery of Sangster Int (MKJS), I exclude all the default buildings taxiways and runways. Can someone please tell me how to make a custom runway with FS design studio or gmax thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I would say don't do that, unless you really need to. It is much easier to create a runway with XML code or AFCAD for example.

If you really want to make ground polygons with GMax, then you have to use the Fs2002 gamepack and tweak the output as bit. By default GMax is not capable of creating proper ground polygons.

For FSDS it should be possible with the old version (FSDS2) as well, again some tweaks are needed to make the created polygons ground polygons and not 3D objects.

Country
jamaica
Thanks for the reply; the thing about it is that I don’t like the texture of the default runway that comes with FSSC and airport for windows

Country
jamaica
arno can u tell me step by step how make custom runway or is there a Tutorial on how to do this thanks

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I have never seen a tutorial for that. But it would be the same as making any other 3D object. You have to place the proper polygons in FSDS or GMax and apply your own textures to them.

The only difference is that afterwards you need to tweak the generated source code a little bit to make the objects ground polygons instead of 3D objects.

Country
belgium
Hello,

I am interessed in doing this too, as I need custom textures on taxiways and runways.
Arno, could you please point me to a thread where this "The only difference is that afterwards you need to tweak the generated source code a little bit" is explained a little bit more?), or explain it here? I searched the forum but can't find it ....

thanks!

Koen