• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Installing Ez Scenery Library

Messages
8
Country
brazil
Recentlly I've downloaded Algeria sceneries (airports and cities sceneries) and it asked me to be sure I have EZ Scenery Library installed. So I've downloaded this library and put it under almost all sceneries in the Addon Scenery (above EZ Scenery, only the default). I did it thinking that these objects could be important for other sceneries. Did I do the correct thing?

And I've found a wierd thing: There are, under the EZ Scenery folder, not two other folders (scenery and texture) but three: a folder named "new-mdl". Under this folder, nine others: chef, eletric-sub-station, no-smoking-sign, old-brick-building and so on. Insde theses folders, there are .BMP and .MDL files. As I said, I've activated this scenery through "Settings" / "Scenery Libray", moved it down but I got thiking: must I move these files to EZ Scenery\Texture? Both types, .BMPs and .MDLs? What are these files?
 
Hello:

There are many "EZ Scenery" libraries available on FS download sites; which one is it, and where did you get it ? :scratchch

GaryGB
 
Hi, GaryGB, thanks for the answer.

I've found the ez_1.zip here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=66341011
Here the Algeria scenery: http://www.avsimrus.com/files.phtml?fileid=18794

The ez_1.zip come with a .exe file inside. I've executed it and, as it asked me where to install, I've choose a temp directory and, after it's uncompressed, I've moved the EZ Scenery (with the three folders I told) to Flight Simulatro 9\Addon Scenery and activated. The list of the files it contains, as it's very big, is attached here, in a compressed .txt file.

But after I created this post, I search the Internet and, as I could understand, the .MDL files are files to work with, for people who creates sceneries. Maybe it's not necessary in my instalation, I could delete these files. Is it right?

But as you can see in the attached .txt file, under Flight Simulator9\Addon Scenery\EZ Scenery Library there is a folder named "new-mdl" and, inside this folder, 9 other folders named "chef" (there are, beyond the .MDL file, .BMPs with a cousine chef figure), electric-sub-station, no-smoking-sign and so on. My question is: must I move these .BMPs files to Flight Simulator9\Addon Scenery\EZ Scenery Library\Texture? And the .MBL files, what are they? Must I move them to somewhere?

(As test, I've moved the the "new-mdl" folder to another place, started the Flight Simulator and it seems nothing changed. So, as simple guess, or it was not working before because I didn't move .BMPs and .MDLs to the right place - and then I'm losting some beatiful objects - OR these files are not important at all.)

And a last question: I've just checked now and found thet in the Addon Scenery\EZ Scenery Library\scenery folder there are .txt and .mdl files, too. Maybe the .mdl files in "new-mdl" have to be moved to scenery folder and not texture. The same wierd thing happens in the texture folder: there is a lot of .JPG files.
 

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello, you may ignore the extra folders as will the simulator. The files structure is such that every scenery layer has one active scenery folder and one active texture folder, fallbacks aside and once activated, those two folders are all the simulator will see, or process. The extra folders are only for scenery development.
 
Hi again:

IIUC, the FS version you are working with is FS2004 and not FSX or later.

These libraries should work compatibly with the Algeria FS2004 scenery packages you linked to above.

IIRC, it may have been this "EZ_1.ZIP" scenery object library which was missing 2 or 3 textures for objects authored by Glen "Woody" Fout (who was a part of the team who created Stikene Icefield Research Project (SIRP) freeware package).

.I discovered the missing textures while resolving some scenery object display anomalies with a few of "Woody's" objects from another subsequent package Cambria Icefield Research Project (CIRP).


To be certain that you have no missing library objects, textures etc, you can edit your active FS2004 configuration file (FS9.Cfg) as explained here::

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Missing_textures


FYI: Although the separate MDL files and textures were packaged along with 1 or more standard BGLComp XML scenery object library BGL file(s) because the author of that particular "EZ_1.ZIP" (a compendium of several originally separate scenery object library BGLs) at the time, was a user of the RWY12 FS scenery object placement utility which used loose MDLs, I would recommend performing a test in FS2004 for "Missing" objects and/or textures with the Algiers scenery first before deleting any of those otherwise NOT displayed loose MDL and texture files ...just in case they are needed.

GaryGB
 
Thanks, rk and GaryGB.

Well... Indeed, I play FS9, dear Gary. And as soon as I adopted the changes in FS9.CFG, as said in the Fsdeveloper Wiki, trying to load DAAG airport, the program answered me:

"Scenery library object not found. This may cause some scenery, as such some buildings, to not display.", and showed me which objects are missing:

"ID: 0XEF7CF4269, 0X48ED081A, 0XEAB197AD, 0X2BC67AC8"

But nevertheless, the airport was loaded and it's working fine.

Just to document, the lines added in FS9.CFG under the secction [SCENERY] are:

// Alert for missing textures
ShowMissingTextureAlert=1

// Alert for missing objects
MissingLibraryAlert=1

// Render Trigger areas as visible boxes
ShowTriggers=1

That is are very interesting and useful for those who creates sceneries, I guess, and also for just final users. But for final users like me, it seems that what is missing is not very much important. Maybe I'm not seein, I don't know... a vehicle or a gas station, few things...

I've tested with a IFR flight and the program adressed, guided me with perfection, and as I can see in a VFR flight, with an ultralight aircraft, the scenery and it's buildings, objects, runways, vehicles etc. are very pretty. All the ground marks and guides (like ILS) are working fine too.

Then, as you suggest, I've compressed, stored the .MDLs and then deleted them. It changed nothing in the missing alert nor in visual seeing scenery (at least, for me). So it will remain deleted. But also as you said, maybe in another instalation, for other users (FSX or anything I just don't know), deleting .MDLs could be a bad idea...

Thanks again, my question is answered. :)


Renato
 
Back
Top