• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Instant Scenery

Yes, Gary. I am getting a bit confused about what the program does with images and I need to study it a bit more. I am following your excellent instructions and have got it to create a photo scenery bgl which I have still to check in the sim, although at the moment sbuilder keeps going on strike when adding background as map. possibly zoom level too much. I will practise it though and with time I am sure I will get results. Apologies for my daft questions. (The next one will appear soon!)
John
 
Hi John:

No problem; and I find your efforts at 'self-study' to be quite diligent, and your questions to be well-considered ...not 'daft'. :)

I would, however, like to better understand your present attempted use of SBuilderX's:

* Add Map > From Disk

...instead of:

* Add Map > From Background

...if you would be so kind as to explain that in your next reply here. :scratchch


BTW: Tile server aerial imagery resolutions available for display / download may be limited to a 'maximum' Zoom level of 16 to 21.

SBuilderX usually starts Background display at 8, so Zoom slowly in steps, up your desired levels at ex: 16 to 18.


Note as well that 'true resolution' of 'some' imagery is inherently not more than Zoom level 16 or 17, and has only been 'enlarged' for use in Google Maps / Google Earth for extremely close-up zoom levels ...as 'fake-detail' MIPMAPs.

So depending on the tile server, we do not always need to download tiles beyond the "true resolution" at a Zoom level of 16 to 18. ;)

But there are in rare cases actually some tile server aerial imagery that is truly a Zoom level 20 or 21, so inspect your images carefully in different Geographic areas, as quality varies in differing regions, and new imagery comes online throughout the year.

FYI: If a total number of tiles selected to be compiled into a single Background Map is too large, it will exceed the ability of SBuilderX and/or Resample to process, as program work-space resources- and/or BGL output size- is limited to no more than 2 GB for SDK Resample. :pushpin:

We work around this by making multiple smaller BGLs to achieve larger total extents of coverage on the ground. :idea:

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Hi, Gary,
Is it correct that a "live" background image is needed to create a photo scenery bgl as opposed to an image that has been saved? - i.e. a directly downloaded satellite image - otherwise sbuilder won't compile to a photo scenery bgl?
Anyway, I followed your instructions and did get a photo scenery bgl to appear in the sim.
There seems to be something strange happening here, though. When I use top down view in slew mode to see what is there and and move from side to side, the scenery around the aircraft shifts with it, meaning that the Genx scenery is showing at the aircraft position even though the area generated by sbuilder is there as can be seen by its darker hue compared to the Genx. I have appended a couple of screenshots where you may be able to see this. Is this something that could be fixed easily? As you said before, blend and water masks would be needed to complete it properly but I am a bit confused as to how to go about that. I also added a CVX road BGL but this doesn't appear in the sim. Maybe you could give me some more guidance. However, I have made some progress so far, and by trial and error, I'm sure I'll get there eventually (with a lot of help from yourself).
Thanks
John
 

Attachments

  • ScreenShot_1.gif
    ScreenShot_1.gif
    909.7 KB · Views: 563
  • ScreenShot_2.gif
    ScreenShot_2.gif
    682 KB · Views: 544
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-799748

Hi, Gary,

Is it correct that a "live" background image is needed to create a photo scenery bgl as opposed to an image that has been saved? - i.e. a directly downloaded satellite image - otherwise SBuilderX won't compile to a photo scenery bgl?

It is OK to use either:

* Add Map > From Disk

...or:

* Add Map > From Background

...however, AFAIK, one must re-project some source files that are on disk to the proper cartographic projection in a GIS application so that SBuilderX is able to load them.

That process requires advanced knowledge and special software, so it is best to create your "Photo Scenery" using SBuilderX via:

* Add Map > From Background


If you tell me more about what type of files you are wanting to use via:

* Add Map > From Disk

...I may be able to advise you on how to do that with the aerial imagery that you have on disk. :scratchch

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-799748

Anyway, I followed your instructions and did get a photo scenery bgl to appear in the sim.
There seems to be something strange happening here, though.

When I use top down view in slew mode to see what is there and and move from side to side, the scenery around the aircraft shifts with it, meaning that the GenX scenery is showing at the aircraft position even though the area generated by SBuilderX is there as can be seen by its darker hue compared to the GenX.

I have appended a couple of screenshots where you may be able to see this. Is this something that could be fixed easily?

That suggests your downloaded aerial imagery BGL has too low of a LOD (less than LOD-16 / QMID-18) due to having selected too low of a Zoom level (probably a Zoom Level 15 or less) in the 'SBuilderX Add Map From Background' tile download dialog.

The higher LOD of the VFR GenX Volume-8 Scotland South is 0.5 Meters (LOD-16 / QMID-18), so to get your SBuilderX custom "Photo Scenery" tiles to display above the VFR GenX tiles, you must download and use at least LOD-16 / QMID-18 resolution aerial imagery tiles by selecting a higher Zoom level (probably a Zoom Level 17 or greater).


If you review my recommended work-flow here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-799433

...you must find a maximum Zoom level with a 'true' (not 'magnified') maximum resolution (usually between Zoom levels 16 and 18), then in the 'SBuilderX Add Map From Background' dialog > "Number of Tiles = (ex: 4187) > Tick (ex: "53 x 79 at) Zoom = 17" as the desired maximum Zoom level for your selected number of tiles.

Feel free to inquire further if you require a more detailed explanation. :)

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-799748

I also added a CVX road BGL but this doesn't appear in the sim. Maybe you could give me some more guidance. However, I have made some progress so far, and by trial and error, I'm sure I'll get there eventually (with a lot of help from yourself).
Thanks
John

I'll reply to that question with a quote from above:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-798534

Indeed, default and/or custom CVX vector textured Road objects, by MSFS SDK design, do NOT display on top of custom photo-real aerial imagery land class such as the VFR GenX "05mPhoto" layer from the Volume-8 Scotland South scenery.

CVX vector Freeway Traffic, however, DOES still display on top of any local custom photo-real aerial imagery land class.

To show textured Roads, you now must create 1 or more custom photo-real aerial imagery land class tiles as a replacement for that older VFR GenX "05mPhoto" layer from the Volume-8 Scotland South scenery using SBuilderX.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-799748

As you said before, Blend and Water masks would be needed to complete it properly but I am a bit confused as to how to go about that.

I'll try to post some info here in this thread, to supplement the info in a tutorial by Luis Feliz-Tirado about making "Photo Scenery":

(aka: *Make Photo-real Ground Textures in FSX) ...based on this original thread: :idea:

Making custom ground textures

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1060


Perhaps I may make an example with a Blend Mask and Water Mask using my own "test of concept" project source files for the Forth Bridge area (already used to make my "Q&D" screenshot above). :scratchch

If all goes well, I may be able to do that sometime tomorrow. ;)


PS: What graphics application do you use ? (ex: GIMP, Corel PaintShop Pro, Corel PhotoPaint, Adobe PhotoShop, etc.)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Thanks, Gary.
You have given some good pointers there.
I will try another background with a better resolution and see if that helps.
As for a graphics application, I have Paint.net at the moment. I don't know if that would do for this purpose, but I could always give it a try.
Unfortunately, I am a bit busy with other stuff just now and I have also gone well past my broadband limit for this month (Win 10 updates), so I'd better leave it until next week before I do any more downloading.
John
 
Hi John:

Feel free to let me know when you are ready to proceed in June. ;)


FYI: I may end up suggesting GIMP due to availability of a tutorial that illustrates the graphical details of how to create Blend and Water Masks.


If you wish to begin reading that tutorial by Tiberius et al while awaiting a bandwidth data renewal, it is here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?250762-How-to-create-photoreal-scenery-for-FSX

[EDITED]

PS: I am concerned about your apparent limited bandwidth data size ISP account type.

I may have some alternate suggestions for you to consider when working repeatedly with aerial imagery that you have already downloaded, in order to create and/or edit CVX vector road scenery objects over a photo-real Background Map in the SBuilderX work-space. :idea:

You may find it more desirable to load up your already-downloaded aerial imagery from the BMP file that is written into:

[SBuilderX install path]\Tools\Work sub-folder

...rather than via the live "View Background" procedure I had recommended to you above.

So let me know if you'd prefer Add Map > From Disk rather than Add Map > From Background for CVX vector work. :)

[END_EDIT]

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Hi. Gary.
I have re-emerged.
After many attempts to download an updated background, I finally managed to get a better updated version with the new road layout. I kept getting the old version from the Google server, but I went back and had a look at Tiberius's tutorial and that helped. I then used a "clean" version of sbuilder and got the updated background.
So this is a big step for me and with a bit of practice and trial and error, I am beginning to get a bit more comfortable with sbuilder.
My next job would seem to be to find out how to shift the position of the new scenery, as you can see from the attached screenshots, it doesn't line up with the existing scenery by a long way. (I haven't looked at any of the refinements at this stage, just concentrating on the basics). I have downloaded Gimp, although I have never used it up to now.
Would this image locating problem be difficult to fix?
Thanks again,
John
 

Attachments

  • Without new photo bgl.gif
    Without new photo bgl.gif
    467.4 KB · Views: 524
  • With new photo bgl.gif
    With new photo bgl.gif
    460.7 KB · Views: 544
https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-800811

Hi. Gary.

I have re-emerged.

After many attempts to download an updated background, I finally managed to get a better updated version with the new road layout. I kept getting the old version from the Google server, but I went back and had a look at Tiberius's tutorial and that helped. I then used a "clean" version of SBuilderX and got the updated background.

So this is a big step for me and with a bit of practice and trial and error, I am beginning to get a bit more comfortable with SBuilderX.

Congratulations on your progress so far. :cool:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-800811

My next job would seem to be to find out how to shift the position of the new scenery, as you can see from the attached screenshots, it doesn't line up with the existing scenery by a long way. (I haven't looked at any of the refinements at this stage, just concentrating on the basics). I have downloaded GIMP, although I have never used it up to now.

Would this image locating problem be difficult to fix?

Thanks again,
John

Actually that would be a simple fix to change the BGLComp placement coordinates for the bridge objects

NOTE: This is not a problem involving the placement of the "updated" photo-real aerial imagery tile itself. :idea:


To implement a change to the BGLComp placement coordinates for the bridge objects:

1.) Find the placement BGLs used to 'place' the bridge objects at:

a.) [Scotflight install path]\Scotflight-Orbx\Airports\Scenery\Bridge1_2_OBX.BGL

b.) [Scotflight install path]\Scotflight-Orbx\Airports\Scenery\Bridge3_OBX.BGL


2.) Add a copy to a ZIP archive, of each original placement BGL used to 'place' the bridge objects ...inside the above \Scenery sub-folder

3.) In Instant Scenery:

a.) Open the scenery BGLs used to 'place' the Forth bridge objects:

(1) [Scotflight install path]\Scotflight-Orbx\Airports\Scenery\Bridge1_2_OBX.BGL

(2) [Scotflight install path]\Scotflight-Orbx\Airports\Scenery\Bridge3_OBX.BGL

b.) Move the 3D bridge scenery objects into alignment with the Forth bridge positions in the aerial imagery.

Further details available pending your request for additional info. ;)


After correcting the BGLComp placement coordinates for the bridge objects, you would likely wish to use SBuilderX to correct the SHP2VEC placement coordinates for the CVX vector Forth bridge Freeway Traffic poly-lines so they are aligned with the 3D bridge objects.

If you are inclined to do that at this time, we can discuss that later pending your request for additional info.


After correcting the BGLComp placement coordinates for the Forth bridge objects, and the SHP2VEC placement coordinates for those bridge Freeway Traffic CVX vectors so they are aligned with the aerial imagery tile and 3D bridge objects, you would likely wish to use ex: GIMP to edit a copy of the source *.BMP for the "updated" photo-real aerial imagery tile to eliminate the Firth water and Forth Bridge images, as well as to blend that tile into the underlying GenX Scotland South Vol.-8 photo-real aerial imagery.

If you are inclined to do that at this time, we can discuss that later pending your request for additional info.


And if you are inclined at some time in the future, to use ex: GIMP to edit a copy of the source *.BMP to color-match the season of the "updated" photo-real aerial imagery tile to that of the underlying GenX Scotland South Vol.-8, we can discuss that later pending your request for additional info. :)


PS: Please note that I have edited my prior reply to you ...here:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/instant-scenery.442606/post-800181

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Gary,
I have got stuck again. I tried to follow your advice, but I can't seem to change the Bridge_OBX.BGL's position.
I don't have Instant Scenery (I only had the demo to try it and is time-lapsed anyway).
I tried ADE. but it won't recognise these bgl's.
I have opened one of them with Bgl2XML and have the xml text file which includes the geographic location.
Would it be possible to modify this to change the position?
Sorry to be testing your patience again.
John
 
Hi John:

Technically it is possible to edit the de-compiled BGLComp XML placement coordinates, although without Instant Scenery that would involve considerable repetitive trial-and-error. :alert:

If you enjoy scenery enhancement / development, Instant Scenery is a very cost-effective "must-have" utility with many valuable abilities.


Even if I sent you my own current BGLComp XML placement BGLs for the Forth Bridges, they would still require considerable repetitive trial-and-error on your part, as I am working with a prototype of an enhanced terrain mesh and sloped flattens for the Forth Bridges area on both sides of the Firth, thus my altitudes would be different.

I would be glad to provide you personally with a copy of that particular section of terrain mesh via a PM link when I am finished, but that could be quite some time in the making, due to my rather limited available free time for FS development.


So to be 'humane' while considering your pending task, I'd recommend purchasing Instant Scenery so you will have an in-sim live interactive ability to achieve precise alignment of the Forth Bridges with your current scenery terrain configuration.

The alternative is the complex learning curve of using the freeware Whisplacer in FSX, or doing some patient repetitive trial-and-error with SBuilderX while displaying the aerial imagery map as a background within the SBuilderX work-space.


PS: I will be traveling, thus far away from my FS development computers, for the next week or so, and will likely only be able to check in on the forums here a few times during that week with an I-Pad (not a real computer).

I shall look forward to addressing any of your other inquiries upon my return later next week. :)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Thanks, Gary.
I will take on board what you have said and maybe obtain Instant Scenery. I have Whisplacer, but have never used it. I may have a dabble with it and see how far I can get without getting totally confused.
In the meantime, I wish you well with your FS development and if you are having a break, do enjoy it.
I really appreciate the help and no doubt I will need some more soon!
John
 
Hi, Gary.
I took your advice and installed Instant Scenery. I had a look at Whisplacer, but it was totally incomprehensible to me.
After a bit of a struggle to get Instant Scenery to work (I am still on a steep learning curve), I managed to locate the bridge bgl roughly where it should be after a lot of head-scratching, wondering why I had the choice of either it being duplicated or having none at all. Relocating the scenery files fixed this, although I am not sure if they are in the right folders.
The programme seems to work well, although I still need to find out how to use it properly and also how to add models to its database. One strange habit it has is shutting down FSX if the pc goes onto standby, which happens regularly. I don't know if this happens normally or is just a result of incorrect installation on my part.
I am proceeding slowly and now have the correct bridge position and also some freeway traffic more or less where it should be just to see if it would show up ok, and it seems to. I now need to get this a bit more accurate, after which I will attempt to alter the
photo-real aerial imagery so that it blends in better. If I get that far, I should be able to attempt the North side.
Any tips gratefully received,
Thanks
John
 

Attachments

  • ScreenShot_21 June.gif
    ScreenShot_21 June.gif
    770 KB · Views: 519
Hi John:

Looks like your bridges are now lined-up rather nicely. ;)

As long as one's scenery object library BGLs are in a \Scenery sub-folder under a top-folder set 'active' as an Area in the FS Scenery Library GUI stack of layers, Instant Scenery will re-index its database of available 3D model libraries each time it is initialized from the FS menu.

When Instant Scenery version 3 (aka "IS3") is running, click the checkbox icon on the IS3 toolbar to access the options dialog, and enable display of all available scenery object library BGLs.


Access the Power Management options in Windows Control Panel in order to configure Windows to NOT engage power-saving / sleep states ...when you are working with FSX and/or IS3.

This allows separate control over display screen-saver, hard drive, and power saving mode activation time-out intervals. :pushpin:

Set it for longer intervals to elapse since last mouse / controller / keyboard activity before such modes are activated if you become absorbed in your work, and need to allow the computer to sit idle for a longer period of time than the current Windows default allows.

Also, if you are using an external USB or SATA case-mounted storage drive (not to be confused with a 'Flash Drive" in a USB socket), you may need to disable power-saving for that device separately from the above 'console' type devices using the appropriate Windows Control Panel applet ...to prevent FSX and IS3 from shutting down.

If the problem of un-wanted shut-downs persists with IS3 running continuously in a live FSX session after re-configuring your Windows power management, that may be due to a different issue.

Feel free to inquire further when you have questions on this, or further options for scenery enhancement / updating. :)

GaryGB
 
Hello, Gary,
Just to clarify what you say, does that mean that IS3 will only adopt objects that are available to and enabled in the Sim's scenery library?
I assume this is right, but I couldn't see the detail of this in the pdf document.
As to the reason for the sim being shut down during standby, I deliberately set this myself as I leave the pc frequently, and rather than shutting everything down and restarting, I like it to be on standby to save power. I am just curious as to why only IS3 has this effect when nothing else has ever done so. I wonder if anyone else has this,
I don't think it would be a memory issue, as it all works fine until the pc sleeps, and when woken again, FSX has disappeared and has to be restarted. Maybe it is something to do with the registry files, but that area is well beyond my understanding.
Anyway, it isn't a big problem and easy to work with.
I have had a go at getting the road traffic in the right place and had some succss, although the direction of one lane is wrong, so I suppose I need to start the road vector from the opposite end.
I am making slow progress, but each step I get right seems like a big leap forward.
Thanks for helping,
John :scratchch
 
Hi, Gary
I have been away from this for a bit, but I want to continue working on it.
Unfortunately, I messed up my computer and while trying to sort it out I managed to lose the Google api key. (I had about 300,000 graphics files plastered all over the desktop for a while and I must have lost the api key somewhere).
I tried to obtain a replacement key but Google apparently needs a credit card account to set it up now.
Do you know if this is correct, or alrernatively, is there another way to download satellite tiles? The ArcGis one connects ok, but the image is unusable.
Any ideas?
Thanks
John
 
Hi John:

I am not aware of Google requiring a fee to use the ex: Google Maps or Google Earth API software development kits and/or any custom run time modules ...such as are used in SBuilderX to access aerial and satellite imagery tileservers. :alert::yikes:

My initial thought is that you might have incurred a malware infestation. :oops:

Are you referring to a message that is displayed when you attempt to use SBuilderX, or another imagery tile downloader utility ? :scratchch


IIRC, at one time the Nokia "Here.com" licensed imagery tile server went payware, and under certain circumstances had prompted for a key in SBuilderX; but that entire division of Nokia has since been sold to 3rd parties, and "Here.com" is now defunct, AFAIK.

Please provide more information on this before you pay for something that is not required and/or that may be fraudulent. :alert:

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Hi. Gary,
J am only using SbuilderX.
When I go to -
file - add map from google maps - a small window says Google Maps API is missing.
I tried to obtain a key again and following instructions on Google Maps Platform, the following message comes up - Enable billing for project “My Project” and next personal details are required to be entered. I am not prepared to do this personally.
Information on the Google site states:-
"Maps Static API Usage and Billing
Pricing and Billing Changes
Starting June 11, 2018, a new pay-as-you-go pricing model is rolling out for Google Maps Platform APIs. The new plan gives you more flexibility and control over how you use our APIs. You can use as much or as little as you need and only pay for what you use each month.

Reminder: To use our Maps, Routes, and Places APIs:
Starting June 11, 2018: All Google Maps Platform API requests must include an API key; we no longer support keyless access.
Starting July 16, 2018: You’ll need to enable billing on each of your projects.
See Guide for Existing Users for more information."

I may be doing this wrong, perhaps missing something on the site, but I've tried it a couple of times with the same result. I know that when I did it originally there was no problem obtaining a key and updating the ini file.
Having said that, SbuilderX is nevertheless downloading tiles now and with good definition up to zoom 18, so maybe an API key isn't needed?
It certainly isn't in the ini file.
Any thoughts?
John
 
Hi John:

Do not use SBuilderX Menu > File > Add Map > from Google Maps...


Instead:

SBuilderX Menu > Edit > Tile Servers... > Google _api3_Satellite > 'check' checkbox for "Use Google _api3_Satellite ?"; click [OK].

SBuilderX Menu > View > Show Background F1 > (Zoom / Center aerial or satellite imagery as desired)

SBuilderX Menu > File > Add Map > From Background > (...complete process as previously described above in this thread).


Let me know how this works for you. :)

GaryGB
 
Thanks, Gary.
Yes, you are right. What you say is working. It's just that I have 10 thumbs and it is taking me a while to get used to using this stuff.
I have managed to get an image in place for the North side as well now, though, and placed it in the sim.
This is some progress, although very slow. I now need to tidy it up a bit, e.g. blending the scenery patches to the existing photo vfr scenery, bridge position, which is a bit off and also the gap between the bridge end and the underlying terrain,
No doubt I will be seeking your help again soon when I get stuck with something and I am always grateful for your assistance.
John
 

Attachments

  • ScreenShot_20180710164815.gif
    ScreenShot_20180710164815.gif
    696.4 KB · Views: 506
Back
Top