• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Jim Vile

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Jim's name has recently been mentioned in a post on this forum. I guess most of you will know of him and his contribution to our community. I am sorry to say that we have not had contact with him for a number of months. His last message indicated that he had a number of personal issues to deal with. We have not been able to contact him since. I cannot confirm what his current status is. We do know that he had some health problems and, sadly, it seems possible that he has passed away. I have been unable to confirm this but a lack of response to emails is not encouraging. If anyone has any information that we don't have then perhaps they could let me know.

Country
newzealand
Jon,
i dropped Jim a line back in September to inquire how he was as we haven't seen him at the forums for awhile, he never did reply,
so i hope he is still with us

Country
us-michigan
I hope too that he is still ok..Cant even begin to explain the impact he made on AFCAD's and the development and tools/tricks we are still using today.

Anyone know where he lived?

Greg

Last edited:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
Rest in peace Jim.
Thank you for your contribution to this community.

Last edited:

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Sad news,... I had noticed his absence... I had hoped for the best. Thanks,... Jim! You will be missed for sure!

Country
unitedstates
Sorry to hear about this. Rest in peace thanks to Jim for the flight simmers community for all of us. He may be flying in heaven around the world and watch all of us. God Bless to Jim.

Stuart

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Everyone,

Unfortunately, I found the following on the web.

James Vile Obituary

May he rest in peace.

Thanks. We saw an obit a few months back. But I didn't report it at the time since his age and a couple of other things did not match what we expected. It didn't mention flight sim. However it is a fit to name and place and the reference to flight Sim seems to confirm it.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
By coincidence, I have spent the last 8 days modifying JV's excellent version of WSSS, Changi, Singapore. There was little needing to be done to the design layout but it has taken me that long to get my AI schedules to a good level and then allocate suitable parking codes. I now have what I think is my favourite airport at which to sit and watch the aircraft leave and depart.
I shall use this as his legacy to my flight-simming experiences. A loss to our community!

Country
us-california
Very sorry to learn of Jim's passing. Jim was a guide through some very obscure parts of MSFS and he'll be sorely missed. RIP

Country
us-florida
Very sorry to hear of Jim's passing. Literally everything that I know about approaches came from Jim. RIP.
Ed

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Jim's passing is a great loss to our community for both his friendship and his timely assistance.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I've never had any interaction with Jim, but I did read every post he made. May he rest in peace, and my condolences to his family. I'm only a year behind in age, but so far at least have no detected health problems aside from my so-far-under-control diabetes.

"Your flightplan is approved as filed, climb and maintain Flight Level Angels, frequency change approved. God speed sir."

Last edited:
A bit devastated now.

Jim directly helped me to understand the possibilities for multiple parallel approaches for AI on certain airports like LAX or ATL in FS. So I have a great working LAX afcad with this and it is always a pleasure to watch and work with it. See http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/klax-25r-and-24l.71394/

A big, big loss for our community. He will be greatly missed. My thoughts to his family and friends.

RIP Jim and thank you for your contribution which will last for another years to come.

Country
unitedstates
I am so sorry to read this, thank you Jon for posting.

Jim's mark on the sim community is indelible and his contributions have, and will have, benefited many.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and his friends.

Damn, 2016 just keeps on taking.

cheers,
Lane

Country
us-virginia
I probably didn't realize it at the time but as an airport designer, I'm sure I have read Jim's posts over the years.

Fair winds ad following seas.